The blahblah of the forum

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: The blabla of the forum

Post by Davycc »

Can't remember what thread it was mentioned in but Rigger you said you were going to watch "The Shape of Water" what did you think. Started watching it last night myself and eventually gave in, just so wrong for me.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Davycc wrote:Can't remember what thread it was mentioned in but Rigger you said you were going to watch "The Shape of Water" what did you think. Started watching it last night myself and eventually gave in, just so wrong for me.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Awww, mate .. it's amazing !
I love it.

Here's my review :
The cold war, the sixties, a mysterious aquatic monster, an underground research facility .. none of these ingredients usually feature in a romantic fantasy unless the picture in question is directed by the singularly bonkers Guillermo del Toro. The Mexican maestro has long been the master craftsman of flights of fancy such as Pan's Labyrinth and Crimson Peak but The Shape Of Water may well prove to be his masterpiece.
Set in a rather dystopian version of the relatively recent past, the story centres on Elisa (Hawkins) a mute orphan working as a cleaner in an ocean research centre while living above an art-house cinema. Her neighbour is an ageing gay commercial artist, Giles, who's prone to donning an ill-advised toupé whenever he leaves the house, while her only other friend is her colleague, Zelda, played with real fury by the always excellent Octavia Spencer. Elisa's strange little world owes a lot to both Terry Gilliam's Brazil and any number of B-movies and musicals from the past, some of which make up the very fabric of this particular tale, once lush but now sadly tattered in places.
Visually, the movie is beautiful from the teasing opening frames set underwater that hint at what lies ahead, right through to the end. The script is spare - Elisa is unable to speak, after all - which means the dialogue actually packs more of a punch when it is spoken rather than - utterly convincingly - signed by Hawkins in her role as the dreamy protagonist.

Her performance really is spectacular and definitely another career best. I'm not sure what must go through the mind of an actor when being offered a role with minimal lines but the fact that Elisa says so much throughout her entire adventure without actually speaking a word shows just how good an actress Sally Hawkins is.
The creature is wonderfully realised and although nothing is shown in the trailer, reveals himself fully from quite early on in the story, though not quite as early as Elise herself. There's a surprising amount of sexuality in this picture right from the very beginning, and although everything is tastefully shot it is mildly alarming given that there was very little suggestion of it from the previews that were available.
As with any period-fantasy-thriller-romance, there has to be a villain : step forward Michael Shannon of Boardwalk Empire and Batman v Superman fame. As menacing as ever, his is the role of tormentor-in-chief of our aquatic victim, a situation Elisa is out to change as soon as she realises what's really going on in the "laboratory" where they're holding the creature.
I really cannot say anymore for fear of spoilers, but I can tell you that this is one of the best movies I've seen in a very long time.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

rigger wrote:
Davycc wrote:Can't remember what thread it was mentioned in but Rigger you said you were going to watch "The Shape of Water" what did you think. Started watching it last night myself and eventually gave in, just so wrong for me.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Awww, mate .. it's amazing !
I love it.

Here's my review :
The cold war, the sixties, a mysterious aquatic monster, an underground research facility .. none of these ingredients usually feature in a romantic fantasy unless the picture in question is directed by the singularly bonkers Guillermo del Toro. The Mexican maestro has long been the master craftsman of flights of fancy such as Pan's Labyrinth and Crimson Peak but The Shape Of Water may well prove to be his masterpiece.
Set in a rather dystopian version of the relatively recent past, the story centres on Elisa (Hawkins) a mute orphan working as a cleaner in an ocean research centre while living above an art-house cinema. Her neighbour is an ageing gay commercial artist, Giles, who's prone to donning an ill-advised toupé whenever he leaves the house, while her only other friend is her colleague, Zelda, played with real fury by the always excellent Octavia Spencer. Elisa's strange little world owes a lot to both Terry Gilliam's Brazil and any number of B-movies and musicals from the past, some of which make up the very fabric of this particular tale, once lush but now sadly tattered in places.
Visually, the movie is beautiful from the teasing opening frames set underwater that hint at what lies ahead, right through to the end. The script is spare - Elisa is unable to speak, after all - which means the dialogue actually packs more of a punch when it is spoken rather than - utterly convincingly - signed by Hawkins in her role as the dreamy protagonist.

Her performance really is spectacular and definitely another career best. I'm not sure what must go through the mind of an actor when being offered a role with minimal lines but the fact that Elisa says so much throughout her entire adventure without actually speaking a word shows just how good an actress Sally Hawkins is.
The creature is wonderfully realised and although nothing is shown in the trailer, reveals himself fully from quite early on in the story, though not quite as early as Elise herself. There's a surprising amount of sexuality in this picture right from the very beginning, and although everything is tastefully shot it is mildly alarming given that there was very little suggestion of it from the previews that were available.
As with any period-fantasy-thriller-romance, there has to be a villain : step forward Michael Shannon of Boardwalk Empire and Batman v Superman fame. As menacing as ever, his is the role of tormentor-in-chief of our aquatic victim, a situation Elisa is out to change as soon as she realises what's really going on in the "laboratory" where they're holding the creature.
I really cannot say anymore for fear of spoilers, but I can tell you that this is one of the best movies I've seen in a very long time.
Isn't the human condition wonderful! Something that can touch one so much can so easily skim over another without ruffling a hair.
I did notice from the off the camera work and the in your face, almost pop art style cinematography or whatever its called. but for me, even in fantasy I need some realism. A top research facility were cleaners dander around the centre as they please and just casually wander in to feed the new "highly dangerous" latest specimen when they feel like it, com on. The hate figure (who I agree is played so well you instantly dislike him) Loses ...... and has refitted ...... after quite some time his ....... and this in the early 60s? It was at this point I gave up (.....trying not to spoil things)

PS I agree with the early and surprising screen vision of a Elise trying to whip up bath bubbles.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

To continue the theme of your last sentence : different strokes for different folks ;)
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

Mrs WW is going to Thorpe Park Hotel and Spa in Leeds on Thursday with a friend. Anyone know of the place, and what it's like?
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Was out with work last night entertaining customers. After leaving the curry house ( only had a couple of pints of beer) I got left off by the taxi on the main road I headed down a pathway leading to our development. Halfway down then path are five or six steps which I jauntily attempted to traverse hands in pockets. I nearly missed the first step which totally threw me off balance and didn't manage to hit any of the other steps only stopping when I used my head as a break on the path below. I can remember frantically trying to get my hands out off my pockets and turning my head to the side to save my boat race, it didn't quite work ....

Knuckles and knees took a hammering as well, think I may give squash a miss Sunday morning.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Ouch, reminds me of my dad when he first had his fall (believe it or not, he looked worse).

Swift recovery mate, and as Jim Royle would say, two pints of beer my a**e.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 728

Blimey ! :o
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Ouch :o
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Ow! hope you get better soon, now get on that Squash court young fellow ;)
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.