The blahblah of the forum

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: The blabla of the forum

Post by Selby White »

Selby White wrote:Apparently we are heading south on Sunday for a couple of days to visit a dog :crazy:

Mrs SW is mad about French Bulldogs and her son has just got a puppy, she is very excited (Mrs SW and not the dog which is actually a boy called Bruce).
We are also pencilled in sometime in March for a dog sitting weekend.
Well had a couple of days with Bruce who likes to chew things especially my fingers :crazy:

Apparently we are pencilled in for dog sitting for 4 days next month :shock:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Was at the hospital this afternoon to be measured up for the radiotherapy next month. I had to empty my pockets and the technician noticed my Leeds phone cover as he's also a fan, so, of course, we were off chatting.

Told him about this forum and he seemed enthused to join up. Very agreeable and highly competent guy called Sam.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

That's what I like to hear !
We could do with a recruitment drive :D
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Trivial pursuit question.

Which store and in which location did the very first 'bar code' transaction take place in the UK in 1979? ie the very first 'swipe' in the whole of the country.

Clue: You will never get it unless it's on Wiki!
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

I once knew this but .. nope ..
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Don't think anyone will get it, so the answer is:

Key Market in Spalding Lincs.

There, I told you it was trivial. :D
Deleted User 728

Nope.
I definitely never knew that :D
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

mapperleywhite wrote:I would encourage everyone on here to read this article:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51263384

I have recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer and will be having radiotherapy in the coming months.

My experience so far has been that people are shocked, upset by mention of the C word. But it really is very common, and absolutely doesn't have to be fatal if treated.

Here's a few random facts from my experience that may help in forming a perspective:

- My condition was detected via a blood test, so no sticking things where you might not want them to be.
- One experienced nurse in urology told me that in eight years only two men, both in their 80's, had the cancer return after radiotherapy
- My level of cancer is fairly mild and, statistically with all other things being equal, I'd live another 11 years (I've just turned 66) if it wasn't treated.

Personally my attitude is that I just have to 'get on with it' and I'm optimistic there will be a positive outcome. In myself I don't feel any different than before, although Mrs MW has commented I'm a bit more grumpy these days, which, honestly, I didn't think was possible :roll:

As an adult it doesn't matter what age you are prostate cancer is a possibility. If this message prompts just one of you to get checked I will be happy to have 'taken one for the team'.

PS: PM me about this if you want
Howard I made an appointment after reading this, have a check up on Wednesday next week.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Davycc wrote:
mapperleywhite wrote:I would encourage everyone on here to read this article:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51263384

I have recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer and will be having radiotherapy in the coming months.

My experience so far has been that people are shocked, upset by mention of the C word. But it really is very common, and absolutely doesn't have to be fatal if treated.

Here's a few random facts from my experience that may help in forming a perspective:

- My condition was detected via a blood test, so no sticking things where you might not want them to be.
- One experienced nurse in urology told me that in eight years only two men, both in their 80's, had the cancer return after radiotherapy
- My level of cancer is fairly mild and, statistically with all other things being equal, I'd live another 11 years (I've just turned 66) if it wasn't treated.

Personally my attitude is that I just have to 'get on with it' and I'm optimistic there will be a positive outcome. In myself I don't feel any different than before, although Mrs MW has commented I'm a bit more grumpy these days, which, honestly, I didn't think was possible :roll:

As an adult it doesn't matter what age you are prostate cancer is a possibility. If this message prompts just one of you to get checked I will be happy to have 'taken one for the team'.

PS: PM me about this if you want
Howard I made an appointment after reading this, have a check up on Wednesday next week.
Davy - good man, I truly hope your PSA is normal and, even so, if that's the case it's a good idea to get checked every few years.

By an odd coincidence I start radiotherapy on Wednesday next week. I really do have a lot of confidence in the competence at Nottingham City Hospital, so feeling good about it.

So who is next? :thumbup:
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Finally got my right ear cleared on my third visit! Can hear her indoors nagging a lot clearer now. :lol: