The blahblah of the forum

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 3289

Re: The blabla of the forum

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

johnh wrote:When my grandfather was 23 there was no such thing as an aeroplane. The only thing that got up in the air were balloons. He died aged 72 but if he had lived to 88 he would have seen Concorde fly and a rocket go to the moon. All from zero in a lifetime.
Contrast that to 16 year old Greta Thunberg at the UN some excerpts.

"You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words."

"You are failing us. But the young people are starting to understand your betrayal. The eyes of all future generations are upon you. And if you choose to fail us, I say: We will never forgive you.

"We will not let you get away with this. Right here, right now is where we draw the line. The world is waking up. And change is coming, whether you like it or not."

I had just left my paper round at 16. It shows how far we have regressed when all some kids think about is extinction.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote: I had just left my paper round at 16. It shows how far we have regressed when all some kids think about is extinction.
What do you mean ?
Genuine question.

As someone who has a niece and a nephew of 21 and 22 years old who are both vegans working in the environmental industries (one as a journo and the other on the tech side) I think they have every right to complain about the complacency of older generations and to try and reverse the damage before it's too late.
I'm incredibly proud of the work they've both achieved already at such a young age, especially as I've never been particularly driven or ambitious myself.

If I've misunderstood you I apologise, but it seems to me that you're not a fan of Greta and her contemporaries ?

Think about cars in the 60s and 70s and the change from gas-guzzling 3 and 4-litre monsters to 1.1 runabouts and the drop from 15mpg to 50-60mpg in those twenty years. How is that NOT progress ?

I don't understand the hate for Greta.
But then I don't understand a lot of things that people believe in these days ..
Deleted User 728

johnh wrote:When my grandfather was 23 there was no such thing as an aeroplane. The only thing that got up in the air were balloons. He died aged 72 but if he had lived to 88 he would have seen Concorde fly and a rocket go to the moon. All from zero in a lifetime.
John, in the last fifteen years we've been able to put all this stuff in one device that slides into your pocket ..

Deleted User 3289

rigger wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote: I had just left my paper round at 16. It shows how far we have regressed when all some kids think about is extinction.
What do you mean ?
Genuine question.

As someone who has a niece and a nephew of 21 and 22 years old who are both vegans working in the environmental industries (one as a journo and the other on the tech side) I think they have every right to complain about the complacency of older generations and to try and reverse the damage before it's too late.
I'm incredibly proud of the work they've both achieved already at such a young age, especially as I've never been particularly driven or ambitious myself.

If I've misunderstood you I apologise, but it seems to me that you're not a fan of Greta and her contemporaries ?

Think about cars in the 60s and 70s and the change from gas-guzzling 3 and 4-litre monsters to 1.1 runabouts and the drop from 15mpg to 50-60mpg in those twenty years. How is that NOT progress ?

But then I don't understand a lot of things that people believe in these days ..
Its a heavy burden for a 16 year old kid, don't you think? There is lots of things kids at 16 should be discussing, but destruction, disaster with a thought about how long they may have left to live on the Earth shouldn't be one any of them. That's was i was implying about regression.

I agree that if there is a Computer simulator out there that has predicted how long we have left to save the planet then we all have a vested interest. But like you said, i find it a bit rich Government's laying Climate Change at people's doors when Industry has/is polluting at a rate of knots for ever. I will happily clean out my Recyclable containers for a clear conscience. :angel:
Deleted User 3289

rigger wrote:
John, in the last fifteen years we've been able to put all this stuff in one device that slides into your pocket ..

Usually mined for in the Congo by children. Its a funny old world don't you think?
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

I still have a lot of those things lying around the place, great memories of the sony walkman during my youth. How i miss those innocent days although i wasn't so innocent myself.

Were getting closer now for personal robotics dealing with our inefficiencies. Will terminator happen?
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

Selby White wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:Walked to the shops on Monday & one house was decked in Christmas decorations. ffs at least wait till December :twisted:
Yes seen a few around here.

Not even bought the Xmas cards yet.
You think you have it bad there in the UK?

In the Philippines they start celebrating Christmas in September and it's one of my pet hates because kids start caroling singing feliz navitad and other local Christmas songs which bug the crap out of me. Im not anti Christmas but i have a belief since childhood that Christmas doesn't start until 1st of December and no decorations or caroling should be done until then or else it loses its appeal. I wouldn't mind Christmas isn't celebrated like it is at home. Its boring and not as festive because its too damn hot.
Deleted User 728

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:
rigger wrote:
What do you mean ?
Genuine question.

Its a heavy burden for a 16 year old kid, don't you think? There is lots of things kids at 16 should be discussing, but destruction, disaster with a thought about how long they may have left to live on the Earth shouldn't be one any of them. That's was i was implying about regression.

I agree that if there is a Computer simulator out there that has predicted how long we have left to save the planet then we all have a vested interest. But like you said, i find it a bit rich Government's laying Climate Change at people's doors when Industry has/is polluting at a rate of knots for ever. I will happily clean out my Recyclable containers for a clear conscience. :angel:
Oh :lol:
I get you now : you meant society has regressed if it takes a kid to tell the adults how messed up we are :shifty:
The way I read it was you thought Greta was at fault.

I totally agree about industry too - what we do as individuals is miniscule compared to corporations, especially when thinking about things like the railing against diesel cars. Emissions is one thing, but what about the carbon footprint to produce alternative vehicles that are brought to market ? I used to have a 2.5l diesel Cherokee and was sat next to a professor at a uni meeting about green transport options and we went round the table talking about the cars we owned. I expected to be shamed a little for having a 4x4 even if was decent economically speaking. Some of the others at the table had Micras and Fiestas and other smaller vehicles but he actually said pound for pound mine was the greenest of the lot because diesel is relatively clean to produce, it was a Jeep (inherently simple to construct and get parts for) and it hadn't been sent around the world during construction. This guy works all day, every day on hydrogen fuel cells for the transport industry, so I took that as an expert opinion.
As for food waste, France introduced a law whereby all supermarkets must donate out of date produce to local charities. That's a no brainer - why don't we ??
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

rigger wrote: As for food waste, France introduced a law whereby all supermarkets must donate out of date produce to local charities. That's a no brainer - why don't we ??
To me that's a now brainer throw in for any Political party in their manifesto. Wouldn't cost the tax payer anything, the Supermarkets wouldn't have any reason to say they would have to put up prices and people would get fed.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Davycc wrote:
rigger wrote: As for food waste, France introduced a law whereby all supermarkets must donate out of date produce to local charities. That's a no brainer - why don't we ??
To me that's a now brainer throw in for any Political party in their manifesto. Wouldn't cost the tax payer anything, the Supermarkets wouldn't have any reason to say they would have to put up prices and people would get fed.
I think one of them has started doing it anyway - maybe M&S, but I can't recall - and they'll get good publicity for it once the story breaks nationally, same as Iceland have by being proactive in reducing plastic usage in their packaging and Sainsbury's have for trialing refillable staples like cornflakes, etc.