The blahblah of the forum

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
psquithy
Brian McDermott's optician

Re: The blabla of the forum

Post by psquithy »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Got to thinking this morning how food has changed over the years. Back when I started work as a waiter things like braised oxtail, jugged hare & roll mop herring were common place on menus. Most menus offered a fish course on their evening menus. Kedgeree was popular at breakfast. Anything you remember from your youth that’s no longer in fashion ?
Rabbit - we used to have it quite a lot in my youth (60's and early 70's) - I think Myxomatosis was largely responsible for its demise as a food stock, not necessarily because the "food " rabbits were contaminated, but because of the bad publicity.

I just read that it was introduced intentionally to the UK in the 1950's to control the wild population - which I had not previously realised.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Jim Gannon ( Stockport County manager ) last night refused to give an interview after his teams defeat to West Ham after the company failed to fix his broken Sky box. :D
Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

psquithy wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:Got to thinking this morning how food has changed over the years. Back when I started work as a waiter things like braised oxtail, jugged hare & roll mop herring were common place on menus. Most menus offered a fish course on their evening menus. Kedgeree was popular at breakfast. Anything you remember from your youth that’s no longer in fashion ?
Rabbit - we used to have it quite a lot in my youth (60's and early 70's) - I think Myxomatosis was largely responsible for its demise as a food stock, not necessarily because the "food " rabbits were contaminated, but because of the bad publicity.

I just read that it was introduced intentionally to the UK in the 1950's to control the wild population - which I had not previously realised.
The worst job I had, as a lad, during the war, was being sent to the butchers on a Saturday morning to get a rabbit. The only meat that wasn't 'on ration'. Middle of winter, freezing cold and a queue that stretched for 20 yards down the road outside the shop. Never thought about it at the time but for every order, the butcher picked up a rabblit, skinned it, chopped its head off, plus whatever else he had to do. Nothing appeared to be prepared in advance. I reckon the average queueing time was about 3 hours.
Used to love rabbit when done by my Mum, the gravy was superb. Haven't had it since!
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Now, if you had been French you could've taken the rabbit home, live.
You, your mother, or anyone else in your family would know how to strip the animal down, drain the blood (PM for how) and dress it for cooking and consumption.

The only problem then would've been catching the buggers in the first place.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Never understood how a rabbits foot is meant to be lucky. Tell that to the rabbit !
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

rigger wrote:Now, if you had been French you could've taken the rabbit home, live.
You, your mother, or anyone else in your family would know how to strip the animal down, drain the blood (PM for how) and dress it for cooking and consumption.

The only problem then would've been catching the buggers in the first place.
You are talking about my Nan on my Dad's side.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Davycc wrote:Never understood how a rabbits foot is meant to be lucky. Tell that to the rabbit !
Well if the rabbit's limping instead of in the pie, its probably had a lucky escape.
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

We used to have rabbit regular when i was i kid, my uncle was a game keeper in Angmering and used to bring a couple round on a Sunday, i used to watch my dad gut and skin them ready for mum to cook up to feed us lot, i was one of six so they were a great help for my parents.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

For those that enjoy a flutter on the footie.

Many of you will probably know this (Tracey wishes she had know last week when Bayern let her bet down after being 2 up v Monchengladbach ) :thumbdown:

Bet365 have a feature that if your team goes 2 goals up the bet is won both on singles and accy's Have switched from William Hill to see how it goes.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

Davycc wrote:For those that enjoy a flutter on the footie.

Many of you will probably know this (Tracey wishes she had know last week when Bayern let her bet down after being 2 up v Monchengladbach ) :thumbdown:

Bet365 have a feature that if your team goes 2 goals up the bet is won both on singles and accy's Have switched from William Hill to see how it goes.
Used Bet365 for years. It's a great feature, not that it does me any good though. :roll: