The blahblah of the forum

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: The blabla of the forum

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Christmas decorations down that’s that for another year.
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

kk_white wrote:
ChilwellWhite wrote:I always thought squirrels hibernated ? Well we have a couple frequenting the garden so obviously not.
Red or grey?

Grey unfortunately I do like red squirrels I must admit. Nearest populations are In Northumberland although a friend who was on holiday in the Isle of Wight a couple of years back reckoned he saw them there. Slightly off topic I once sat 8 hours whilst on holiday in Scotland at a “ guaranteed “ Pine Martin site. Yes you’ve guessed never saw one, still remains my British mammal I’d love to see.
psquithy
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by psquithy »

ChilwellWhite wrote:
kk_white wrote:
ChilwellWhite wrote:I always thought squirrels hibernated ? Well we have a couple frequenting the garden so obviously not.
Red or grey?

Grey unfortunately I do like red squirrels I must admit. Nearest populations are In Northumberland although a friend who was on holiday in the Isle of Wight a couple of years back reckoned he saw them there. Slightly off topic I once sat 8 hours whilst on holiday in Scotland at a “ guaranteed “ Pine Martin site. Yes you’ve guessed never saw one, still remains my British mammal I’d love to see.
I know it is cheating, but if you are ever near East Grinstead in Sussex pay this place a visit - closed for the moment though:
https://britishwildlifecentre.co.uk/
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

ChilwellWhite wrote:
kk_white wrote:
Red or grey?

I can vouch for that. The other half has family on the island so we're over there quite a bit. Last saw one when we visited Osborne House before the pandemic and there are reputed to be quite a few that live on the adjoining golf course.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

When I was growing up in Liverpool, there were only red squirrels.
I once played against Don Revie.
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

I think there are red squirrels on brownsea Island across the water from Poole in Dorset.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

ChilwellWhite wrote:
kk_white wrote:
Red or grey?

One climbed into my wheely bin a few years ago. I got the fright of my life, had no idea what was rustling around in there. Looked in and saw what I thought was a foxy face. Rolled the bin out to the gate and turned it onto its side... No movement. I peered in again (from about 10 yards away), and bold as brass he stared back at me. I had to tip the bin upside down before he scampered away :D

Funnily enough, Irish for Pine Martin is Cat Crainn (tree cat) and the townland I live in is translated as Meadow of the Cat - used to be abundant here many years ago.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Sniffer wrote:
ChilwellWhite wrote:
kk_white wrote:
Red or grey?

I can vouch for that. The other half has family on the island so we're over there quite a bit. Last saw one when we visited Osborne House before the pandemic and there are reputed to be quite a few that live on the adjoining golf course.
Found this on a wildlife website -

The introduction of the grey squirrel from North America caused our native red squirrel numbers to plummet, perhaps partly due to competition from the larger American, but also due to the ‘squirrel pox’ virus carried by the greys, which can cause entire populations of red squirrel to die out. Scotland and Ireland are where the red squirrel now has its main strongholds. In England, red squirrels only survive on the Isle of Wight and Brownsea Island, where there are no greys, on the Formby coast, and in the extensive pine forests of Northumberland and the Lake District. Things aren’t much better in Wales, although Anglesey has recently been declared grey squirrel free.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

That article saying Ireland is a stronghold should emphasise that it is only relative to other countries. I can't speak for Scotland, but the Red was very nearly extinct here. It's making a comeback, but only ever so slight. Long way to go. Fingers crossed, they're beautiful creatures.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

We have friends in Solihull & Jane had an extensive collection of Capo de Monte until a squirrel somehow got into their house. To say she wasn’t happy is an understatement.
Winner of the Europa League