The blahblah of the forum

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: The blabla of the forum

Post by johnh »

rigger wrote:Well, on the legal side of things I know we're supposed to have appraisals at least once a year and I have NEVER had one and it's four years now :o

They're absolute toilet at HR stuff though and they hammer the staff with a good work ethic while the lazy ones get away with light duties.
There's no KPIs or targets but you still get a bollocking if you have too many misloads over a certain time period (about a month) - misload is when you put a parcel on the wrong van so it ends up being delivered usually a day late.
It's so arbitrary though : my supervisor knows my vans are heavy and my load is sometimes twice what others are loading in terms of the number of packages so he cuts me some slack, but even I have been "disciplined" about it (ie I've had a talking to).
We don't see our records so I don't know how long that stuff stays on there - I'm pretty sure that's against employment law too.
If push ever came to shove - which it won't because despite the threats they need good staff and only ever sack people for fighting - then I think I could hold my own with the centre manager and argue the toss about all this stuff. Certainly in a tribunal I think it would be pretty easy to win a case against them.

That said I like the job - it's a great workout.
The hours suit - I'm done by half eight in the morning.
The pay is okay and we get paid 20 hours (4 hr shifts, Mon-Fri) even if we finish early every day.
We were given a bonus for Covid (£150 at Xmas) and two extra days holiday this year.
They bought us all bacon sandwiches one morning last week as we'd been so busy :)

It's fine, but it's poorly managed.
But then the reason I do the job is for the exercise and the fact it's not me worrying about all that stuff anymore.
I clock in, I work, I clock out, I forget about it :)
Nothing worse than working in a poorly managed outfit. However, there is a small consolation in that they managed the bacon butties OK. :clap:
I once played against Don Revie.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

We will soon be coming up to that part of the year when everything comes good. Her Indoors agrees with everything I suggest, I can do no wrong and am truly Lord of my Manor. Roll on 29th, 30th and 31st February.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

johnh wrote:We will soon be coming up to that part of the year when everything comes good. Her Indoors agrees with everything I suggest, I can do no wrong and am truly Lord of my Manor. Roll on 29th, 30th and 31st February.

:D
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

johnh wrote:We will soon be coming up to that part of the year when everything comes good. Her Indoors agrees with everything I suggest, I can do no wrong and am truly Lord of my Manor. Roll on 29th, 30th and 31st February.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

So true :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Our MOT & insurance are due for the car & just checked in the last 12 months we’ve done 1204. That’s a hundred miles a month, they’ll want to give the car a full MOT no doubt.
Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Our MOT & insurance are due for the car & just checked in the last 12 months we’ve done 1204. That’s a hundred miles a month, they’ll want to give the car a full MOT no doubt.
NW, I had mine in January. You did 100 miles more than me! The Insurance Companies must have made a fortune. Some gave discounts but mine didn't. They got greedy and increased renewable premium by 35%. They were also very sly and where they gave a discount for paying on-line in previous years, this year they said 'discount included in the quote'. Must think we just stepped off a greenline bus. As I posted earlier, Go Compare saved me £300.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Wish I knew how to load it but someone has posted a brilliant mock-up of a photo of Tiger Woods being tackled by Jordan Pickord on an Everton website.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Talking of peer pressure just had a message from our 7 year old grandson who wants a Nintendo Switch as his friend has one. Only £350 :roll:
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Talking of peer pressure just had a message from our 7 year old grandson who wants a Nintendo Switch as his friend has one. Only £350 :roll:
If you are going to take the plunge and buy a console, it's probably the best one to get for a kid that young and not just because the PS4 and XBox both carry older-certificated games, but also because Nintendo have family gaming at heart. It's certainly the most fun platform out there.

That said, if I were you I'd buy him a retro console.
That way he'll learn to appreciate gameplay over graphics - a must for any generation of gamer - and he'll also begin to understand money a little better when you explain that it cost 10% of what a Switch does.

This machine is an absolute monster and will keep him occupied for decades if he looks after it :
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/621-Games-in ... SwflxgD3sR

I still have my SNES (the machine that one's based on) and 25 cartridges, plus a Wii with a dozen games as well as a built-in hand controller with a Sega Master system and 64 games inside that just plugs directly into any TV. Sadly my original GameBoy died as did the replacement, both of which served well over ten years each and went all over the world with me.
Now, of course, most people play on their phones. There are more female gamers than men now, mainly because of software for mobiles, though most would deny being one saying "Candy Crush doesn't count".

.. it does and you are one :D

Seriously, I'd get the SNES thing I linked and then suggest he starts putting some money away for the Switch, maybe offering to match it pound for pound or something till you can both afford one.