The blahblah of the forum

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: The blabla of the forum

Post by Barlow Boy »

johnh wrote:Been to the dentist today about my lost filling. There was bad news and bad news. The options were: 1. extraction or 2. expensive root filling and capping. As it is right in the place where I chew my food, I am going for the expensive option 2. The other issue is the time factor. The first session is 2 hours, second 1.5 hours. Haven't got the time for the third session yet! :shock:
That’s a long time in the dentists chair Sir John, good luck with it all.

My dentist still dreads the sight of me since I told him I hate needles, and that he had to do an extraction and fillings on me without anaesthetic. I don’t know who is more worried at the start of my appointments, him or me :lol: :lol: :lol:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Barlow Boy wrote:
johnh wrote:Been to the dentist today about my lost filling. There was bad news and bad news. The options were: 1. extraction or 2. expensive root filling and capping. As it is right in the place where I chew my food, I am going for the expensive option 2. The other issue is the time factor. The first session is 2 hours, second 1.5 hours. Haven't got the time for the third session yet! :shock:
That’s a long time in the dentists chair Sir John, good luck with it all.

My dentist still dreads the sight of me since I told him I hate needles, and that he had to do an extraction and fillings on me without anaesthetic. I don’t know who is more worried at the start of my appointments, him or me :lol: :lol: :lol:
BB, tell your dentist that a wooden mallet isn't as sharp as a needle. :lol:
I once played against Don Revie.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I see the Mayor of Liverpool, Joe Anderson, has been arrested on a charge of bribery and witness intimidation in connection with building contracts.
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

johnh wrote:I see the Mayor of Liverpool, Joe Anderson, has been arrested on a charge of bribery and witness intimidation in connection with building contracts.
That sort of thing happens everywhere john, it does not make it right but people in powerful positions have acted illegally for god knows how long from one man band backhanders to multi million pound contracts, allegedly :thumbup:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Sue had to see our local nurse yesterday & got talking to her & football was mentioned. She said since I came on the scene our whole family supports Leeds. The nurse said her dad played for Sheffield United his name Geoff Salmons, honestly can’t say I remember him even he’s from my era.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Sue had to see our local nurse yesterday & got talking to her & football was mentioned. She said since I came on the scene our whole family supports Leeds. The nurse said her dad played for Sheffield United his name Geoff Salmons, honestly can’t say I remember him even he’s from my era.
Name rings a bell with me, think he was about in the early 70s.
Mate at scholl was from Sheffield and supported Blunts and went to watch them with him occasionally when we didn't have a match (and he came to watch Leeds but couldn't convert him).
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Sue had to see our local nurse yesterday & got talking to her & football was mentioned. She said since I came on the scene our whole family supports Leeds. The nurse said her dad played for Sheffield United his name Geoff Salmons, honestly can’t say I remember him even he’s from my era.
If memory serves me correctly he played in the 70's. Probably alongside our own Tony Currie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Just looked him up on Wikipedia here’s his CV

1966-1974 Blunts - 180 (8)
1974-1977 Stoke City - 118 (14)
1977 - Blunts on loan - 5 (0)
1977-1978 - Leicester City - 26 (4)
1978 -1981 - Chesterfield - 120 (15)

Had a good run at the top table. Ended up running a pub in Mexborough. Just looked & he played for Chesterfield at the same time as an old mate of mine John Turner. He also ended up running at pub in Torquay, The Fortune of War. Ironically John’s career ended in a FA Cup game against us at London Road after breaking his leg in the game. Incidentally Posh won 1-0 a cup upset.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Just digressing. Seeing Mexborough mentioned above reminded me. There were several younger ex pros who plied their trade in the Yorkshire League (50's/60's). They used to follow the money. There was always a club who was paying most. When I started playing in '57, it was East End Park in Leeds. Then it was Harrogate Town, then Selby Town, then Mexborough Town. I know a guy who played for all those clubs. He must have had good contacts. The money usually only lasted for a season, or maybe two.
In 1957, East End Park had Jim Milburn (ex Leeds) as player/manager, Len Browning (ex Leeds and Sheffield Utd) plus about 3 or 4 other ex pros from the leagues. In that year, my first with Yorkshire Amateur, we played East End Park at Skelton Road in the 7th game of the season, both teams undefeated. I was a young lad marking Len Browning and was pleased with a 0 -0 draw that day. 3,000 at Skelton Road that day.
That was the only time Mexborough were in the Yorkshire League, they disappeared from view shortly after.