The blahblah of the forum

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: The blabla of the forum

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:
Davycc wrote:
rigger wrote: As for food waste, France introduced a law whereby all supermarkets must donate out of date produce to local charities. That's a no brainer - why don't we ??
To me that's a now brainer throw in for any Political party in their manifesto. Wouldn't cost the tax payer anything, the Supermarkets wouldn't have any reason to say they would have to put up prices and people would get fed.
I think one of them has started doing it anyway - maybe M&S, but I can't recall - and they'll get good publicity for it once the story breaks nationally, same as Iceland have by being proactive in reducing plastic usage in their packaging and Sainsbury's have for trialing refillable staples like cornflakes, etc.
There is or was (sadly got a feeling it could have closed) a charity cafe in Selby and I know some of the supermarkets supported it with food donations.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

rigger wrote:
johnh wrote:When my grandfather was 23 there was no such thing as an aeroplane. The only thing that got up in the air were balloons. He died aged 72 but if he had lived to 88 he would have seen Concorde fly and a rocket go to the moon. All from zero in a lifetime.
John, in the last fifteen years we've been able to put all this stuff in one device that slides into your pocket ..

Yes, most impressive - but it wasn't from 'zero''. was it? Just improving existing products.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

rigger wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:
rigger wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote: I had just left my paper round at 16. It shows how far we have regressed when all some kids think about is extinction.
What do you mean ?
Genuine question.

As someone who has a niece and a nephew of 21 and 22 years old who are both vegans working in the environmental industries (one as a journo and the other on the tech side) I think they have every right to complain about the complacency of older generations and to try and reverse the damage before it's too late.
I'm incredibly proud of the work they've both achieved already at such a young age, especially as I've never been particularly driven or ambitious myself.

If I've misunderstood you I apologise, but it seems to me that you're not a fan of Greta and her contemporaries ?

Think about cars in the 60s and 70s and the change from gas-guzzling 3 and 4-litre monsters to 1.1 runabouts and the drop from 15mpg to 50-60mpg in those twenty years. How is that NOT progress ?

I don't understand the hate for Greta.
But then I don't understand a lot of things that people believe in these days ..
Its a heavy burden for a 16 year old kid, don't you think? There is lots of things kids at 16 should be discussing, but destruction, disaster with a thought about how long they may have left to live on the Earth shouldn't be one any of them. That's was i was implying about regression.

I agree that if there is a Computer simulator out there that has predicted how long we have left to save the planet then we all have a vested interest. But like you said, i find it a bit rich Government's laying Climate Change at people's doors when Industry has/is polluting at a rate of knots for ever. I will happily clean out my Recyclable containers for a clear conscience. :angel:
Oh :lol:
I get you now : you meant society has regressed if it takes a kid to tell the adults how messed up we are :shifty:
The way I read it was you thought Greta was at fault.

I totally agree about industry too - what we do as individuals is miniscule compared to corporations, especially when thinking about things like the railing against diesel cars. Emissions is one thing, but what about the carbon footprint to produce alternative vehicles that are brought to market ? I used to have a 2.5l diesel Cherokee and was sat next to a professor at a uni meeting about green transport options and we went round the table talking about the cars we owned. I expected to be shamed a little for having a 4x4 even if was decent economically speaking. Some of the others at the table had Micras and Fiestas and other smaller vehicles but he actually said pound for pound mine was the greenest of the lot because diesel is relatively clean to produce, it was a Jeep (inherently simple to construct and get parts for) and it hadn't been sent around the world during construction. This guy works all day, every day on hydrogen fuel cells for the transport industry, so I took that as an expert opinion.
As for food waste, France introduced a law whereby all supermarkets must donate out of date produce to local charities. That's a no brainer - why don't we ??
Nar mate i would never knock a kid for having a point of view its just a shame in Greta's case it seems to be about life and death. Just not sure kids should be concerning themselves with something they can't influence? I often think about the carbon footprint that Football must leave, not just the millions who attend games all over the country, but the so called friendly's that take place all over the world for economic reasons. Maybe AR should give Greta a platform at Leeds?
Deleted User 3289

Selby White wrote:
rigger wrote:
Davycc wrote:
rigger wrote: As for food waste, France introduced a law whereby all supermarkets must donate out of date produce to local charities. That's a no brainer - why don't we ??
To me that's a now brainer throw in for any Political party in their manifesto. Wouldn't cost the tax payer anything, the Supermarkets wouldn't have any reason to say they would have to put up prices and people would get fed.
I think one of them has started doing it anyway - maybe M&S, but I can't recall - and they'll get good publicity for it once the story breaks nationally, same as Iceland have by being proactive in reducing plastic usage in their packaging and Sainsbury's have for trialing refillable staples like cornflakes, etc.
There is or was (sadly got a feeling it could have closed) a charity cafe in Selby and I know some of the supermarkets supported it with food donations.
At work we have been this for about 12 months now. We like most supermarkets have started selling WONKY fruit products, can you imagine the waste just because a certain grape or Strawberry wasn't perfect enough for sale? :crazy:
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Is that Morrisons ??

It's crazy because if you go to a greengrocers (which I do, half the time) all their stock is "wonky" - or should I say, natural - and it has less of a shelf life when you get it home and occasionally there'll be bruises on the apples that you don't notice till you get it through your door, but you know what ? All of that is worth it because it tastes better. Tomatoes especially taste like they should, not just a spherical red water container.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:Is that Morrisons ??

It's crazy because if you go to a greengrocers (which I do, half the time) all their stock is "wonky" - or should I say, natural - and it has less of a shelf life when you get it home and occasionally there'll be bruises on the apples that you don't notice till you get it through your door, but you know what ? All of that is worth it because it tastes better. Tomatoes especially taste like they should, not just a spherical red water container.
When we were in Madeira couple of years back the locals were telling us they were having issues because the Bananas they grew were smaller than EU regulations so they could no longer export. Bananas were once their biggest export and income stream.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

rigger wrote:Is that Morrisons ??

I seem to recall that VHTM works for Aldi
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Deleted User 3289

I do indeed. Thank goodness for the German discounters. Bringing prices down to the value you think they should be. The big boys had us over a barrel for long enough.

Party political broadcast over. :mrgreen:
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:I do indeed. Thank goodness for the German discounters. Bringing prices down to the value you think they should be. The big boys had us over a barrel for long enough.

Party political broadcast over. :mrgreen:
So where's our Christmas nuts VHTM?? :lol: :lol:

Agree the German discounters put the big boys to shame, well some of them. I've consciously struck off Asda after the way they treated their staff recently as the Germans have 95% of what we used to buy from them in a better quality and price. I'm a reluctant buyer from Tesco as I think they're a typically British complacent organization - the AA and BT are similar in this regard - although there are signs they're starting to smell the coffee.

VHTM - if I mention the name Sireesh Nallanthighal, does it ring a bell? He used to be a neighbour of ours and, last I heard, he was Aldi's head of IT. Norwich supporter.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Deleted User 3289

You keeps your nuts to yourself Mapp. :D

We haven't got them ones in this year buy the looks of it yet? Not sure if we will. Can't you tell i'm up on the detail.

That name means nothing to me Mapp. I have only just learnt my managers name tbh.