Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC

Simple question should we stay in the EU or opt out ?

Poll ended at 26 Mar 2016, 18:48

IN
50%
OUT
50%

Total votes: 12

Deleted User 3289

Re: Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Good speech from the PM this morning imo. Its great to hear the UK will be negotiating a free trade deal with the EU from a Independent perspective now Boris has got his majority. We all want the best deal for both sides of the debate. Its going to be a interesting 11 months.
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

So, as the UK heads for a no deal Brexit, breaking an recently signed international treaty and throwing the Good Friday Agreement in Ireland under the bus in the process, how many here would reconsider their original vote way back in 2016 now, whatever that vote was?
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

White Knight wrote:So, as the UK heads for a no deal Brexit, breaking an recently signed international treaty and throwing the Good Friday Agreement in Ireland under the bus in the process, how many here would reconsider their original vote way back in 2016 now, whatever that vote was?
How is the UK throwing the Good Friday agreement under the bus? It is the EU who have 'weaponised'' the Good Friday Agreement.
I once played against Don Revie.
yorkfan
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by yorkfan »

johnh wrote:
White Knight wrote:So, as the UK heads for a no deal Brexit, breaking an recently signed international treaty and throwing the Good Friday Agreement in Ireland under the bus in the process, how many here would reconsider their original vote way back in 2016 now, whatever that vote was?
How is the UK throwing the Good Friday agreement under the bus? It is the EU who have 'weaponised'' the Good Friday Agreement.
This, 100%.
psquithy
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by psquithy »

I would still vote the same way.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

psquithy wrote:
I would still vote the same way.
Yes, me too.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

johnh wrote:
I am very disappointed with the inappropriate terminology used in relation to the Good Friday Agreement.

Back in 1998 all parties to this Agreement pledged not to impose a hard border on the island of Ireland, or to do anything that would cause the imposition of one. It’s a key part of the Agreement and contributed to 22 years of peace in Ireland.

Brexit was always going to be a challenge as the original settlement in 1998 was always seen in international terms as well as being cross community in Northern Ireland. With the UK in the EU at the time, no border allowed the benefits of unhindered free trade be seen in NI and Ireland truly for the first time in decades. Boris signed an international treaty only months ago that would continue to guarantee an open border. His decision to break this treaty has now jeopardized this. How this can be now be blamed on the EU is positively Trumpesque in it’s disconnect from reality.

I asked the question as everyone is beginning to see how Brexit will look now after over 4 years of talking about it. With the view clearing I wondered if everyone still held to their original positions, and that appears to be the case. Maybe the wrestling over it ever happening drove people deeper into their original camps.
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

White Knight wrote:
johnh wrote:
I am very disappointed with the inappropriate terminology used in relation to the Good Friday Agreement.

Back in 1998 all parties to this Agreement pledged not to impose a hard border on the island of Ireland, or to do anything that would cause the imposition of one. It’s a key part of the Agreement and contributed to 22 years of peace in Ireland.

Brexit was always going to be a challenge as the original settlement in 1998 was always seen in international terms as well as being cross community in Northern Ireland. With the UK in the EU at the time, no border allowed the benefits of unhindered free trade be seen in NI and Ireland truly for the first time in decades. Boris signed an international treaty only months ago that would continue to guarantee an open border. His decision to break this treaty has now jeopardized this. How this can be now be blamed on the EU is positively Trumpesque in it’s disconnect from reality.

I asked the question as everyone is beginning to see how Brexit will look now after over 4 years of talking about it. With the view clearing I wondered if everyone still held to their original positions, and that appears to be the case. Maybe the wrestling over it ever happening drove people deeper into their original camps.
:thumbup: