Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC

Simple question should we stay in the EU or opt out ?

Poll ended at 26 Mar 2016, 18:48

IN
50%
OUT
50%

Total votes: 12

Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

Post by Sniffer »

The original ballot paper asked if we wanted to stay in the EU or if we wanted to leave. The response from the electorate was largely emotional (which perhaps could be characterised as bravado from the leavers and fear from the remainers). How could it be anything else given the lack of detail? Perhaps there should have been supplementary questions on the ballot paper ranging from "A clean break Brexit akin to wrenching your leg off and hoping it grows back stronger" to "Same as before but removing yourself from the decision making process". And a final "Oh! I think I've just changed my mind".

I'm not really a fan of the EU and I think it's destiny, if it survives, is to become a Supra State. That would mean the wealthy nations within it will have to redistribute their wealth to the poorer nations within it. Not a bad thing in theory - great if you're Greece, not so great if you're Germany. As I said, I'm not a fan of the EU but I voted to remain because the question posed was stupid, posed by a stupid and frightened man.

If there is another referendum it might be won by the remain side but it would likely be by a similar margin to the original one - roughly 50:50 with one side narrowly edging it. That's why all of this "Will of the People" rhetoric really gets on my wick. It's about time our elected politicians grew a collective pair of bollocks and said this (whatever it is) is what's best for the country and this is what we are going to do.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

No need to tell you where i am. If the EU have offered us a deal you know its a bad one, they have made that clear from the start.

My letter of no confidence would have been in after the Chequers deal. I'm not buying all this talk of resilience about TM. Ever since she has been in office she has come up with meaningless phrases. Just about managing, The burning injustices, Brexit means Brexit and then her so called red lines in her Lancaster House speech. It seems to me that she has reneged on just about everyone of them. So if someone tells you one thing and then does another hasn't she lied, deceived and manipulated her way into this mess? The only phrase we have left for her to honour is her commitment to nothing is agreed until everything is agreed.

When the deal gets voted down in the HOC i don't see how she can continue after that. I'm not saying it will change the arithmetic, only a GE will do that, but it seems to me this is her deal and only her deal, the fact that 2 Brexit Secretary s have resigned tell you that she is colluding with someone on her own.

Labour have been a disgrace in the whole process sitting on the fence hiding behind the 6 tests that insures the exact same benefits that we have inside the EU? (you work that one out) other than us remaining in the EU, it seems pathetic.

I can't see a way it now gets sorted other than we leave on WTO rules. We have rebuilt our country from the Blitz so i'm sure we can withstand a economic shock for a short period of time. Then we can truly shape our country to be a Independent nation once again.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Sniffer wrote: If there is another referendum it might be won by the remain side but it would likely be by a similar margin to the original one - roughly 50:50 with one side narrowly edging it. That's why all of this "Will of the People" rhetoric really gets on my wick. It's about time our elected politicians grew a collective pair of bollocks and said this (whatever it is) is what's best for the country and this is what we are going to do.
I think it would be won by a much larger margin, nudging 60-40.

I'm a pro-Europe remainer and always will be and without wishing to get into everything that might mean, I think it's okay for people to change their minds about something like this, especially given the smoke and mirrors used by the leave campaign.

I still can't believe the very day after the original referendum they said "Well, we didn't mean it literally" about the NHS bus.

Our membership of Europe is like a marriage and with that comes a contract.
You can't just walk away, keeping the car, the house, the dog, the stereo and all the records you've accumulated jointly down the years. There's a price to pay to get out of it - just ask anyone who's been through a divorce.

I can't help feeling that Brexit Britain is like a man who's been caught flirting with another woman and now can't believe the divorce lawyers his wife is using the joint account to pay for are about to stitch him up.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

As long as we are out before the euro implodes (I think it is in the last furlong). We don't want to be caught up in the mess and costs. I know we are not in the euro but the EU would find a way to make us contribute.
I once played against Don Revie.
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

johnh wrote:As long as we are out before the euro implodes (I think it is in the last furlong). We don't want to be caught up in the mess and costs. I know we are not in the euro but the EU would find a way to make us contribute.
Agree John. I voted remain but now I would vote leave. If we have another referendum and it went remain then all that would happen would be a rerun of the last five years. Farage would come back, Ukip would gain traction as the call for us to leave was built up yet again. We can't keep going on like that so we need to get out. it will be very painful and there will be loads of political fall out for both main parties but it would sort it out for good and ever. Europe needs our trade so a no deal would never be a no deal for long!!!
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

dlw10 wrote:
johnh wrote:As long as we are out before the euro implodes (I think it is in the last furlong). We don't want to be caught up in the mess and costs. I know we are not in the euro but the EU would find a way to make us contribute.
Agree John. I voted remain but now I would vote leave. If we have another referendum and it went remain then all that would happen would be a rerun of the last five years. Farage would come back, Ukip would gain traction as the call for us to leave was built up yet again. We can't keep going on like that so we need to get out. it will be very painful and there will be loads of political fall out for both main parties but it would sort it out for good and ever. Europe needs our trade so a no deal would never be a no deal for long!!!
Yes I agree . There would be hassle for 6 months/a year and then EU Nations would be hammering at Brussels door demanding that they sort a trade deal out. All this talk of problems for Britain is coming from the EU elite in Brussels. Many of the EU Nations are getting very nervous.
I once played against Don Revie.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

rigger wrote:I think it would be won by a much larger margin, nudging 60-40.
I think it would need to be at least that to put this to bed. Anything less would see the Brexiters calling for a best of three and they would have a point. That's why I said that the elected representatives should do what they are paid to do and make a decision in the best interest of the country.

As I've said numerous times, I have my misgivings about the EU, but I'd rather stay inside the EU and be part of the decision-making process than be outside and be dictated to. I would rather be part of one of the biggest trading blocs in the world than try to trade as a small country on that blocs western fringe. I wouldn't be particularly happy if the UK was subsumed in to the United States of Europe but, if it meant our regions getting more money in subsidies whilst London paid out, I could live with that.

There are swings and there are roundabouts.
Deleted User 3289

How could i forget her most powerful phrase. No deal is better than a bad deal... Remember that? Now TM is telling us its a bad deal or no Brexit??? What the hell has she been doing over the last 2 years???? The woman is not resilient, she is deluded. 2/3 of the HOC despise the deal yet she speaks to us as though we are lemmings. I've just listened to a European guy on Channel 4 news (only just got in) and he basically said that what she is telling the British people is not going to happen???

How is she still the leader? For me it will go down as one of the greatest mystery's of our time. How a Prime Minister still conducting negotiations that have changed more than Superman in a telephone booth. Do the right thing Mrs May retire before history condemns you to the dustbin.
zigzag
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by zigzag »

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/10/ton ... ve-brexit/

ExPM of Australia sums it up nicely for me, his ideas are what I voted for and thought would happen. What we are heading towards is a deal that pleases neither leavers or remainers, a farce of a deal from PMTM
Deleted User 3289

zigzag wrote:https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/10/ton ... ve-brexit/

ExPM of Australia sums it up nicely for me, his ideas are what I voted for and thought would happen. What we are heading towards is a deal that pleases neither leavers or remainers, a farce of a deal from PMTM
He puts it so simply and elegantly. Thanks for that Zig. Like you that is the sort of thing i was hoping we would end up with. I was listening to the news earlier and the first thing that was mentioned after we have signed up to this legally binding treaty, was that our fishing waters would become the first bargaining chip used by the EU, closely followed by the Spain and the Gibraltar situation. What was that Dido sung about the White Flag, thankfully i think May will go down with the Ship!

I like the new idea being muted about the UK going on to WTO rules and getting the planning properly sorted out this time during a negotiable transition period. We would have a better negotiating hand then in regards to our divorce financial settlement.

What the heck is Gerard Batten thinking in employing Tommy Robinson into UKip. Whilst i think TR has made some valid points in regards to the Grooming scandal, he is about as toxic a persona you could get to join any organisation. Its another ring of the bell i'm afraid for UKip. Which is a opportunity missed for me if the Brexit process really does go tits up.