Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC

Simple question should we stay in the EU or opt out ?

Poll ended at 26 Mar 2016, 18:48

IN
50%
OUT
50%

Total votes: 12

Deleted User 3289

Re: Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

https://www.spiked-online.com/podcast-e ... o-be-done/

Interesting Podcast if anyone has a spare 20mins called... Brexit what is it to be done.
Deleted User 3289

The Big Machine is now on a full frontal assault. The Mail & Express papers have now got remain supporting editors at the helm.

The deal as you would expect is being discussed everywhere. I've just finished watching the Politics live (i know that's what happened to me) and it seems to me this deal is even worse than i first thought. It is of the Blind Brexit type that Labour had warned against. Its a Hotel California Brexit, in that we will be effectively checking back in for £39billion, but will never be able to leave.

Are we really suppose to believe that TM will not give away more concessions during the trade negotiations? Thankfully it will not get through Parliament no matter how many Peerages the Government offer.

I must say as a leave voter this is the first time during the whole process that i think the chance of a remaining through another referendum vote is at its peak powers. When the deal gets voted down, the EU have made it crystal clear that this is the only deal on offer (ok they may say that) and the Conservatives are unlikely to vote for for a GE especially with TM deal being so unpopular. The is no majority in the HOC for leaving on WTO rules, not even in a default position has Labour have stated there are mechanisms to stop that. There is mumblings of a Norway option which seems to be gaining traction in some quarters.

The Government have really have made of dogs dinner of the negotiations in allowing a Remainer to swan off and do her own thing. She has dug herself a big black hole and MEP's from all parties are starting to throw the soil on top of her.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I'm gonna say this again : it's okay to change your mind about anything in life (apart from supporting Leeds United, obviously).

Are you now saying you would vote to remain in a second referendum ??
Deleted User 3289

If it was a choice between Remain or a WTO deal i would still vote for WTO. Going back to the status quo and groveling to the EU is not a option for most people i know. I want to see the politicians who campaigned for Leave, given a chance to prove their argument that we would be better off in the long term, as a Independent nation.

To be or not to be. That is the question. :shh:
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I never thought of us groveling to anyone.
We're a large, affluent and influential nation in Europe, third only to France and Germany IMHO.

I just don't see the EU in that way at all, certainly not our position within it.
I always felt part of something bigger, something better, that made me proud to be able to stand apart from the US, who always felt like a patronising bigger brother to me when I was growing up in the late 60s, early 70s.

... but then I don't read the Daily M**l or The S** either.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I think Theresa May's deal is poor but I would go along with it as it gets us out of the mess that will occur in 5/7 years time (if not sooner) when the EU implodes. There is another recession coming and the euro will not survive another recession. If the euro goes, the EU will not survive the fall-out. The EU will probably continue but as an EU rump with just a handful of countries and probably with a trade arrangement, which is how it all started!
I once played against Don Revie.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

johnh wrote:I think Theresa May's deal is poor but I would go along with it as it gets us out of the mess that will occur in 5/7 years time (if not sooner) when the EU implodes. There is another recession coming and the euro will not survive another recession. If the euro goes, the EU will not survive the fall-out. The EU will probably continue but as an EU rump with just a handful of countries and probably with a trade arrangement, which is how it all started!
Good post John. Without Merkel at the helm Macron isn't strong enough to drive the EU project forward. The euro is a good idea for countries that trade with each other in a major way and have similar economic strength, eg Germany, France, Benelux, but you could see PIGS and some of the others dropping out. In my mind we signed originally up for a trade agreement only, not to pay for Junker's wine bill.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Deleted User 3289

Oh Mother Theresa what have you done. Lying to everybody in the country is one thing, lying to all the opposition parties in the HOC is another. Especially when your biggest fib relates to the very party propping up your own government. Tut tut. Are but don't worry, she is strong and stable, and most of all she is resilient. She will keep on driving into the wall until she crashes. Wait, isn't that what crash test dummies do? Arrr now i get it!
Deleted User 3289

What have we learnt about Brexit? We now know that when a Government calls a referendum, if the majority of MP's support a certain outcome, (regardless of the answer of its people) they will eventually get their way. Democracy in action.....
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

mapperleywhite wrote:
johnh wrote:I think Theresa May's deal is poor but I would go along with it as it gets us out of the mess that will occur in 5/7 years time (if not sooner) when the EU implodes. There is another recession coming and the euro will not survive another recession. If the euro goes, the EU will not survive the fall-out. The EU will probably continue but as an EU rump with just a handful of countries and probably with a trade arrangement, which is how it all started!
Good post John. Without Merkel at the helm Macron isn't strong enough to drive the EU project forward. The euro is a good idea for countries that trade with each other in a major way and have similar economic strength, eg Germany, France, Benelux, but you could see PIGS and some of the others dropping out. In my mind we signed originally up for a trade agreement only, not to pay for Junker's wine bill.
I said 5/7 years but this could come to a head during 2019. A recession is on the way, the euro can't survive a recession. The EU can't survive the loss of the euro. I see that German politicians are already putting pressure on the EU elite in Brussels to sort out a deal with us. The German economy survived being formally defined as being in recession, in the last quarter, by a wafer thin margin. The Telegraph, today, reports that the Civil Service have stated that a second referendum will take over a year to organise. One of the options could be to rejoin the Common Market! :D
I once played against Don Revie.