Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC

Simple question should we stay in the EU or opt out ?

Poll ended at 26 Mar 2016, 18:48

IN
50%
OUT
50%

Total votes: 12

Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

Post by Nic »

johnh wrote:Just to clarify. The 2016 referendum was to 'stay' or 'leave'. There were no options for deals of any type. The Labour party appear to be adopting the EU undemocratic approach - if you lose the first vote then keep voting until you get the result you want. I used to be against a second referendum but would welcome it now. Leave would increase its majority. A post on here said Labour would be hammered in a GE in the midlands and north, so would Remain in a second referendum. The problem Remain have is that all their leading lights are from the London Liberal Elite. Goes down like a lead balloon in the midlands and the north.
I agree, leavers should welcome a second referendum with a clear leave option, eg No deal or remain, many who voted remain would vote leave because of the attempt to overturn democracy - or the EU style "sorry you got it wrong the first time, care to try again". However remainers in parliament would probably veto no deal being on the ballot paper, hence the remain or leave in name only options.

I would prefer to remain, but the genie is out of the bottle with the referendum and it needs to be a referendum to settle it now. People and parliament often differ on views, for instance parliament would never vote for capital punishment, but if that was ever put to a referendum, people may not like the result. The 2016 referendum was seen as a way to quell the tory eurosceptics and win UKIP voters over, doubt there was any belief leave would actually win.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Getting the courts involved for the proroguing of parliament is laughable. What have they achieved by sitting for the extra 4 days? I really can't imagine Parliament agreeing to anything containing no deal, that's been their major weapon from the start.

As for a GE it would all depend on if Boris could woo the people who may vote for the Brexit party, lets be honest the Tories haven't covered themselves in glory. If they had moved faster in getting rid of May and called a GE they would have been fighting on one ticket without the need of the Brexit Party?, whilst the Remain vote could be potentially split in numerous directions.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote: Its also my personal opinion that alot of the poverty we see today can be traced back to the Blair Labour government.
If we're going down that route I blame EVERYTHING on Thatcher.
Deleted User 3289

rigger wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote: Its also my personal opinion that alot of the poverty we see today can be traced back to the Blair Labour government.
If we're going down that route I blame EVERYTHING on Thatcher.
You would feel very at home in some Northern Towns then Rig. :thumbup: Bit before my time tbf but my Dad can't stand the woman to put it mildly.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I'm being serious.
The thing about owning your own home, being a failure if you're male, 26 and on public transport, the whole "I want it now and I expect it now" ethos that has become our entitled society came from her ...
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Not before my time. I wasn't particularly a Thatcher fan, but people forget (or don't know) the mess this country was in when she took over from Labour. The country was in a mess almost as bad as at the end of WW2. Strikes everywhere, mega inflation, high interest rates, unemployment and like Conservative governments every time they take over from Labour, get blamed for the hard decisions which need taking to put things right. They took over a mess from Blair/Brown and then get blamed for the necessary austerity. Since I became eligible to vote, I have voted approximately 60/40 in favour of Conservative, the 40% being Labour. (Never voted for the Monster Raving Loonie Party :lol:) However, wild horses wouldn't get me to the polling station to vote for Corbyn and his shower.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 3289

https://www.theguardian.com/housing-net ... t-property

I know its just one article and one opinion but it puts it better than i ever could.

I have to say my days of voting Labour are probably over.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/housing-net ... t-property

I know its just one article and one opinion but it puts it better than i ever could.

When I mentioned the Liberal Elite backing Remain, Tony Blair is the perfect example. When I read that he was actively involved in the Remain project I punched the air. Yeeeees! There are many more who turn off the voters too. Imagine Blair on the Telly imploring you to vote Remain with Peter Mandelson hovering in the background. Followed by John Major................................I would be surprised if anyone outside the M25 voted Remain.
I once played against Don Revie.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/housing-net ... t-property

Thankfully none of the Tories are interested in making money so it's ok to vote for them. :roll:
Deleted User 3289

johnh wrote:

When I mentioned the Liberal Elite backing Remain, Tony Blair is the perfect example. When I read that he was actively involved in the Remain project I punched the air. Yeeeees! There are many more who turn off the voters too. Imagine Blair on the Telly imploring you to vote Remain with Peter Mandelson hovering in the background. Followed by John Major................................I would be surprised if anyone outside the M25 voted Remain.
I must admit when Andrew Neil asked Tony Blair who would lead the Remain side in another Referendum he didn't have a answer, but looked a bit smug. And then Neil asked him who would lead the Remain Government of NATIONAL UNITY :lol: He was implying anyone but Corbyn. He doesn't like Corbyn, i wonder why?