Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC

Simple question should we stay in the EU or opt out ?

Poll ended at 26 Mar 2016, 18:48

IN
50%
OUT
50%

Total votes: 12

Deleted User 3289

Re: Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Sniffer wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/housing-net ... t-property

I know its just one article and one opinion but it puts it better than i ever could.

I have to say my days of voting Labour are probably over.
Thankfully none of the Tories are interested in making money so it's ok to vote for them. :roll:
It would be interesting to know if he bought his property portfolio's before the 250% (estimate) rise in house prices under a Labour Government. I suppose its not a problem when you can afford to give your kids a treat.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

People in Sunderland voted strongly for Leave, yet many of them are employed by Nissan.

Nissan has now said that due to uncertainties about Brexit, especially the potential impact of no deal, it is considering scaling down operations there and transferring activities to Spain.

I knew quite a few people from Sunderland when I was at uni and they certainly weren't thick. But to be so small-minded and put your own livelihood at risk I really don't understand.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

mapperleywhite wrote:People in Sunderland voted strongly for Leave, yet many of them are employed by Nissan.

Nissan has now said that due to uncertainties about Brexit, especially the potential impact of no deal, it is considering scaling down operations there and transferring activities to Spain.

I knew quite a few people from Sunderland when I was at uni and they certainly weren't thick. But to be so small-minded and put your own livelihood at risk I really don't understand.
Don't understand your logic. The referendum was in 2016. The announcement by Nissan was in 2019. Please explain to me how Sunderland Brexit voters could be 'small-minded? (I am assuming that Nissan didn't tell its workers, in 2016, that if they voted leave, they would move their factory). In any event NIssan will never move. Significant costs and logistical problems, plus the threatened boycott of all Nissan products in the UK, would concentrate minds.
Just more 'Project Fear'.
I once played against Don Revie.
mapperleywhite

Post by mapperleywhite »

johnh wrote:
mapperleywhite wrote:People in Sunderland voted strongly for Leave, yet many of them are employed by Nissan.

Don't understand your logic. The referendum was in 2016. The announcement by Nissan was in 2019. Please explain to me how Sunderland Brexit voters could be 'small-minded? (I am assuming that Nissan didn't tell its workers, in 2016, that if they voted leave, they would move their factory). In any event NIssan will never move. Significant costs and logistical problems, plus the threatened boycott of all Nissan products in the UK, would concentrate minds.
Nissan chose to set up European manufacturing in the UK because of its tariff-free access to the European market and, presumably, because the Japanese are more likely to have a command of English rather than other languages. The prospect of an action that potentially jeopardises the market access, ie voting Leave, was there in 2016.
mapperleywhite

Post by mapperleywhite »

johnh wrote:

Nissan chose to set up European manufacturing in the UK because of its tariff-free access to the European market and, presumably, because the Japanese are more likely to have a command of English rather than other languages. The prospect of an action that potentially jeopardises the market access, ie voting Leave, was there in 2016.
kk white

Post by kk white »

mapperleywhite wrote:
johnh wrote:

I don't want to wade into this debate, as I'm from Ireland and don't have any direct involvement, but as of June 26th, The Irish Times ran this piece:

''Dublin remains the most popular choice for financial services companies to relocate post-Brexit, but Luxembourg is close behind, a new indicator shows.

Some 29 companies have committed to relocating staff or operations in Dublin since the Brexit referendum result, according to EY tracker, ahead of Luxembourg with 23 relocations and Frankfurt with 22.

According to the indicator, €1.1 trillion in assets and 7,000 jobs have been relocated away from Britain since June 2016.

Just throwing out the figures, please don't attack me for it - I'm innocent in all this :thumbup:
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

No wonder Dublin are making things difficult. :shh: ;) :thumbup:
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

We're all innocent in all this, mate - that's the problem :(
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

kk_white wrote:
mapperleywhite wrote:
johnh wrote:

I don't want to wade into this debate, as I'm from Ireland and don't have any direct involvement, but as of June 26th, The Irish Times ran this piece:

''Dublin remains the most popular choice for financial services companies to relocate post-Brexit, but Luxembourg is close behind, a new indicator shows.

Some 29 companies have committed to relocating staff or operations in Dublin since the Brexit referendum result, according to EY tracker, ahead of Luxembourg with 23 relocations and Frankfurt with 22.

According to the indicator, €1.1 trillion in assets and 7,000 jobs have been relocated away from Britain since June 2016.

Just throwing out the figures, please don't attack me for it - I'm innocent in all this :thumbup:
ONS figures for 2019 show that employment in the UK is at its joint highest level (76.1%) since records began in 1971. In spite of Project Fear, and there are many EU countries would give their right arm for figures like that.
I once played against Don Revie.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

mapperleywhite wrote:
johnh wrote:

Honda have stood down a lot of workers in Bristol. I was speaking to one of them yesterday and he explicitly said that it was down to Brexit.