Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC

Simple question should we stay in the EU or opt out ?

Poll ended at 26 Mar 2016, 18:48

IN
50%
OUT
50%

Total votes: 12

Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

Post by Sniffer »

johnh wrote:We should walk away and pay sod all. I would love to see Barnier's face if he had to report back to the EU that he hadn't got any money. That is the EU's main requirement. If we walked away, that would trigger (unplanned) phase 2 of Brexit negotiations where the workers of the EU, and particularly the French Trade Unions, get involved. The EU elite in Brussels will then find out, probably for the first time in their lives, what it is to be 'accountable'.
I voted remain, John, as I felt we weren't given any information as to what we would be moving towards if we left. However, we've pissed off over half a continent with Brexit so why not go the whole hog? It would be interesting to see what happened. :D :angel:
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Sniffer wrote:
johnh wrote:We should walk away and pay sod all. I would love to see Barnier's face if he had to report back to the EU that he hadn't got any money. That is the EU's main requirement. If we walked away, that would trigger (unplanned) phase 2 of Brexit negotiations where the workers of the EU, and particularly the French Trade Unions, get involved. The EU elite in Brussels will then find out, probably for the first time in their lives, what it is to be 'accountable'.
I voted remain, John, as I felt we weren't given any information as to what we would be moving towards if we left. However, we've pissed off over half a continent with Brexit so why not go the whole hog? It would be interesting to see what happened. :D :angel:
I knew Putin would get to you eventually Sniff. :D
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:
Sniffer wrote:
I knew Putin would get to you eventually Sniff. :D
No, Vid. I still think Brexit is an absolute nightmare. I still can't see what we get out of it and think we will be worse off because of it. That is not to say that I thought that the EU was perfect. The EU is looking to become a United States of Europe which might be good or it might be bad. If the UK had stayed in the EU we would have fought that, as would a few other countries. We would have been a spanner in the works as we have been for the last 30-odd years. Without us in the EU might make the EU's agenda easier or it may signal the end of EU, with other countries saying the UK did it, so can we. In fact, I think that if the Brexiteers had waited for a few years someone else would have taken the lead and we would be able to leave on their coat-tails with all the punishing fines going on them.
Deleted User 3289

The government lose the vote regarding Amendment 7 of the EU withdrawal bill so called the (meaningful vote). Does it seriously weaken our hand in the negotiating process? Imo it does!
As far as I understand it, it means parliament can vote down a deal until they get what they want? And baring in mind the house was something like a 75%-25% split in favour of remain. Does this mean a no deal scenario is now definitely off the table? How can the Government negotiate from this position, with so many people wanting different things. The EU must be rubbing their hands together? Am I overstating it? John, Sniff help. :D
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

VHM, Can't really help. Not only am I not a legal eagle but I have not had sight of any wording. However, I wouldn't think that 'no deal' is off the table. In fact, I think it appears more likely. The purpose of the Tory 'rebels' is not to get a better deal, it is to derail Brexit. They are going to vote against any deal come what may. (no pun intended). This is where the wording is crucial. If they vote against any deal, then what is the EU position? Are they prepared to renegotiate? The Government may well declare a 'no deal' situation. This may not require a vote as there is no deal to be voted on. As I say, depends on the wording.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 3289

johnh wrote:VHM, Can't really help. Not only am I not a legal eagle but I have not had sight of any wording. However, I wouldn't think that 'no deal' is off the table. In fact, I think it appears more likely. The purpose of the Tory 'rebels' is not to get a better deal, it is to derail Brexit. They are going to vote against any deal come what may. (no pun intended). This is where the wording is crucial. If they vote against any deal, then what is the EU position? Are they prepared to renegotiate? The Government may well declare a 'no deal' situation. This may not require a vote as there is no deal to be voted on. As I say, depends on the wording.
Some good points there John. It was clear parliament was going to get a vote on the final deal anyway, that was already a meaningful vote wasn't it?. It will be interesting to see how many other amendment the rebels vote against their own party on. My cynical side can't help but feel the rebels will all have a vested interest at some level. I mean why would you not trust your own party to deliver a good deal?. Its going to be fascinating how this plays out over the coming months.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Report in today''s paper quotes an EU source as confirming that if a negotiated deal is voted down by Parliament, there will be no further negotiations. ie it will be a 'no deal' Brexit. Considering that this will be the 'rebels' worst nightmare, then I think it pulls their teeth.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 3289

johnh wrote:Report in today''s paper quotes an EU source as confirming that if a negotiated deal is voted down by Parliament, there will be no further negotiations. ie it will be a 'no deal' Brexit. Considering that this will be the 'rebels' worst nightmare, then I think it pulls their teeth.
Great news that. Cut of your nose springs to mind. It will be interesting to see if the other amendment regarding having the leave date enshrined into law goes ahead? Personally I hope it does just to focus everyone's minds.
Deleted User 3289

All rise Sir Nigel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6gJPfVChBk

Is it a character flaw that I just want to drive over the cliff regardless? Oh and another question. Why is the far right on the rise throughout some EU member states?

Sniff. I need some answers that I don't think the Prime Minister can deliver.....

I'm a (working class Brexit Pleb) get me out of heeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrreeeeeeeee. :angel:
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:All rise Sir Nigel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6gJPfVChBk

Is it a character flaw that I just want to drive over the cliff regardless? Oh and another question. Why is the far right on the rise throughout some EU member states?

Sniff. I need some answers that I don't think the Prime Minister can deliver.....

I'm a (working class Brexit Pleb) get me out of heeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrreeeeeeeee. :angel:
*shudder* Thank goodness my sound wasn't on when I clicked on that link.
Is it a character flaw to want to commit suicide? That's too big a philosophical question to answer here.
Why is the far-right on the rise? Too many people with character flaws, perhaps. ;)