Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC

Simple question should we stay in the EU or opt out ?

Poll ended at 26 Mar 2016, 18:48

IN
6
50%
OUT
6
50%
 
Total votes : 12

Re: Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

Postby rigger » 21 Oct 2019, 17:30

Image
If you thought that post was good, you should check out my interesting and constantly surprising blog: http://paulridgeblog.com/
User avatar
rigger
LUFCTALK Admin
 
Posts: 13246
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 17:35

Re: Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

Postby Viduka Hits The Mark » 21 Oct 2019, 18:10

Sniffer wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:Labour are starting to frustrate the hell out of me now. They changed their minds purely for political reasons because of the Lib dems resurgence and imo it doesn’t get much lower than that.
Make your minds up you spineless bunch of hypocrites and VOTE FOR THE DEAL.


You do realise that your mate Boris wanted to stay in the EU until he could see a way to further his political career.


Its funny how things work out. I voted for Corbyn because i knew he was a fervent Eurosceptic.
"Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." Forrest Gump.
User avatar
Viduka Hits The Mark
Raich Carter's Contract Agent
 
Posts: 3972
Joined: 19 Feb 2015, 07:42

Re: Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

Postby Sniffer » 21 Oct 2019, 18:29

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:
Sniffer wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:Labour are starting to frustrate the hell out of me now. They changed their minds purely for political reasons because of the Lib dems resurgence and imo it doesn’t get much lower than that.
Make your minds up you spineless bunch of hypocrites and VOTE FOR THE DEAL.


You do realise that your mate Boris wanted to stay in the EU until he could see a way to further his political career.


Its funny how things work out. I voted for Corbyn because i knew he was a fervent Eurosceptic.


Well, yes. Much as I like old-time socialism, JC just comes across as a fence-sitter with his refusal to take a side on this now. Unfortunately this issue cuts right across party lines for various reasons. Within the Tories it was open warfare over Europe whereas Labour tried to keep it under wraps. The referendum ripped the wraps off.

I've got a friend who voted Leave. He is a socialist and fervently dislikes the Neo-liberal policies/behaviour of the EU but is horrified at the prospect of a Tory No-Deal Brexit.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner
 
Posts: 2002
Joined: 17 Feb 2013, 17:03

Re: Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

Postby Davycc » 21 Oct 2019, 19:42

rigger wrote:I think there'll be a lot of new nation states being formed over the next decade or so.

Catalunia is the obvious starting point, but Scotland won't be far behind at this rate.
A unified Ireland maybe ?
Cornwall ?
Yorkshire ?
Maybe not, but you never know ..


People keep saying about a vote here in N.Ireland for a united Ireland. I honestly think that the majority of people in the Republic wouldn't want burdened with another six counties draining resources. Would they have a separate vote to see if they wanted us? Independent N.Ireland would need to be added as an option in any vote.
The Thrones Murders by Glen Gormley AKA Davycc available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1686297025
User avatar
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 9797
Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 18:09
Location: Wet West Britain

Re: Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

Postby Viduka Hits The Mark » 21 Oct 2019, 19:47

Sniffer wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:
Sniffer wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:Labour are starting to frustrate the hell out of me now. They changed their minds purely for political reasons because of the Lib dems resurgence and imo it doesn’t get much lower than that.
Make your minds up you spineless bunch of hypocrites and VOTE FOR THE DEAL.


You do realise that your mate Boris wanted to stay in the EU until he could see a way to further his political career.


Its funny how things work out. I voted for Corbyn because i knew he was a fervent Eurosceptic.


Well, yes. Much as I like old-time socialism, JC just comes across as a fence-sitter with his refusal to take a side on this now. Unfortunately this issue cuts right across party lines for various reasons. Within the Tories it was open warfare over Europe whereas Labour tried to keep it under wraps. The referendum ripped the wraps off.

I've got a friend who voted Leave. He is a socialist and fervently dislikes the Neo-liberal policies/behaviour of the EU but is horrified at the prospect of a Tory No-Deal Brexit.


Tell your mate to sleep easy he's in safe hands with Oliver Letwin, Hilary Benn, Phillip Hammond et al. I just think Boris wanted to focus minds in a way that Theresa May was incapable of doing.
"Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." Forrest Gump.
User avatar
Viduka Hits The Mark
Raich Carter's Contract Agent
 
Posts: 3972
Joined: 19 Feb 2015, 07:42

Re: Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

Postby Viduka Hits The Mark » 21 Oct 2019, 19:50

Davycc wrote:
rigger wrote:I think there'll be a lot of new nation states being formed over the next decade or so.

Catalunia is the obvious starting point, but Scotland won't be far behind at this rate.
A unified Ireland maybe ?
Cornwall ?
Yorkshire ?
Maybe not, but you never know ..


People keep saying about a vote here in N.Ireland for a united Ireland. I honestly think that the majority of people in the Republic wouldn't want burdened with another six counties draining resources. Would they have a separate vote to see if they wanted us? Independent N.Ireland would need to be added as an option in any vote.


Do you think that was going to happen anyway? I keep hearing through outlets in the MSM that there seems to be a appetite for it in NI?
"Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." Forrest Gump.
User avatar
Viduka Hits The Mark
Raich Carter's Contract Agent
 
Posts: 3972
Joined: 19 Feb 2015, 07:42

Re: Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

Postby kk_white » 21 Oct 2019, 21:39

Davycc wrote:
rigger wrote:I think there'll be a lot of new nation states being formed over the next decade or so.

Catalunia is the obvious starting point, but Scotland won't be far behind at this rate.
A unified Ireland maybe ?
Cornwall ?
Yorkshire ?
Maybe not, but you never know ..


People keep saying about a vote here in N.Ireland for a united Ireland. I honestly think that the majority of people in the Republic wouldn't want burdened with another six counties draining resources. Would they have a separate vote to see if they wanted us? Independent N.Ireland would need to be added as an option in any vote.

The latest polls I've seen Davy show roughly 62% of people in the Republic would like a united Ireland (those 2 words still feel strangely loaded to those of us of a particular age... :cry: )

While that number is way down from even 20 years ago, it should be noted that lot of those who favour it were simply asked if they would they like it, not would they actually vote for it if the economic realities were put before them. It is more of a romantic answer rather than logical.

It's much closer up your neck of the woods - last year 42% said that they would vote to join the Republic if there was a referendum, 45% said that they would rather remain in the UK and the rest were undecided.

Personally, as long as everyone stays safe and happy, it doesn't bother me what we are/aren't called :thumbup:
User avatar
kk_white
Arthur Fairclough's milliner
 
Posts: 2053
Joined: 12 Aug 2009, 14:23
Location: Galway

Re: Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

Postby Davycc » 21 Oct 2019, 22:05

kk_white wrote:
Davycc wrote:
rigger wrote:I think there'll be a lot of new nation states being formed over the next decade or so.

Catalunia is the obvious starting point, but Scotland won't be far behind at this rate.
A unified Ireland maybe ?
Cornwall ?
Yorkshire ?
Maybe not, but you never know ..


People keep saying about a vote here in N.Ireland for a united Ireland. I honestly think that the majority of people in the Republic wouldn't want burdened with another six counties draining resources. Would they have a separate vote to see if they wanted us? Independent N.Ireland would need to be added as an option in any vote.

The latest polls I've seen Davy show roughly 62% of people in the Republic would like a united Ireland (those 2 words still feel strangely loaded to those of us of a particular age... :cry: )

While that number is way down from even 20 years ago, it should be noted that lot of those who favour it were simply asked if they would they like it, not would they actually vote for it if the economic realities were put before them. It is more of a romantic answer rather than logical.

It's much closer up your neck of the woods - last year 42% said that they would vote to join the Republic if there was a referendum, 45% said that they would rather remain in the UK and the rest were undecided.

Personally, as long as everyone stays safe and happy, it doesn't bother me what we are/aren't called :thumbup:


:thumbup: Spot on
The Thrones Murders by Glen Gormley AKA Davycc available at https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1686297025
User avatar
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 9797
Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 18:09
Location: Wet West Britain

Re: Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

Postby johnh » 22 Oct 2019, 08:59

I can only speak for myself, but I'm sure there are many like me. If, say, someone mentions a new player at the rugby club with the comment 'he's Irish'. It would never cross my mind to ask 'NI or RoI. I have always looked on 'Ireland' as 'Ireland'.
I once played against Don Revie.
User avatar
johnh
Don Revie's bingo caller
 
Posts: 6587
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 15:26

Re: Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

Postby rigger » 22 Oct 2019, 09:05

johnh wrote:I can only speak for myself, but I'm sure there are many like me. If, say, someone mentions a new player at the rugby club with the comment 'he's Irish'. It would never cross my mind to ask 'NI or RoI. I have always looked on 'Ireland' as 'Ireland'.


I think that may be an age thing, John.
I probably would wonder, purely from an accent point of view because I love differentiating between them all.

Without knowing enough about the politics to make any proclamations from that side of things, I always thought it was a shame that Ireland wasn't one whole nation. I went to uni with a couple of girls from Enniskillen (spelling ?) and worked in central London during the IRA bombings when we'd often be sent home (to the pub !!) early and there was a sense of foreboding at times, and I could never get my head around why they couldn't just be one nation.

Religion.
The scourge of humanity.

:evil:
If you thought that post was good, you should check out my interesting and constantly surprising blog: http://paulridgeblog.com/
User avatar
rigger
LUFCTALK Admin
 
Posts: 13246
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 17:35

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests