Boxing Thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Boxing Thread

Post by Davycc »

CorkWhite wrote:
johnh wrote:Don't think AJ will stand a chance with Fury.
Surely it is now on the cards for them to have a unification fight. Tyson Fury and AJ havecome from dark places over the past few years. I do agree with you that Tyson Fury has probably more in his locker than AJ does.

Its great to finally see all the belts come home for a change.
He's a big wooose only 18 st and 6'9" I'd box the knee caps right off him.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

CorkWhite wrote:
johnh wrote:Don't think AJ will stand a chance with Fury.
Surely it is now on the cards for them to have a unification fight. Tyson Fury and AJ havecome from dark places over the past few years. I do agree with you that Tyson Fury has probably more in his locker than AJ does.

Its great to finally see all the belts come home for a change.
I hope so regards AJ-Fury. Its already 2-0 to Fury over Wilder, so i don't really see the point of a 3rd even tho we all know it will happen because of the contract. I was amazed at how fit Fury was? He was barley breathing heavy in the 7th and he was the aggressor throughout... If he stay fit & healthy in body and mind in that form i agree there is only one winner for me.

Fury's team got it spot on with tactics, i thought Fury, in saying he was going to knock Wilder out in 2 rounds was a bluff to allow time to settle. He meant every word as he bullied and roughed up Wilder from the off.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

Yesterday, 30th Oct, exactly 46 years on from the 'Rumble in the Jungle', the World heavyweight fight between George Foreman and Muhammad Ali.
Fight took place in Kinshasha in Zaire, now Democratic Republic of Congo, billed as the sporting event of the century, which many people think is true.
Well we all know what happened, with his 'rope a dope' to tire out Foreman, Ali regained his title with a KO.
I saw a film of the fight one week later at a club I was a member of in Botswana. There was no television in Southern Africa in those days except for the country of Rhodesia.The showing of the fight was free, put on by tobacco company marketing 'Gunstone Toasted' cigarettes. Also everybody received a free 20 pack of Gunstones. Also shown that night was film of a fight from the previous year between South African light heavyweight champ Pierre Fourie and world light heavyweight champ Bob Foster from USA. Fourie lost to Foster but eventually won the title in later years.
Come to think of it the first time I saw film of Leeds FA cup victory over Arsenal was at the same place, I think sponsored by South African Breweries, no we didn't get free beer.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

There's a great article on BBC website about the mysterious death of Sonny Liston in the early 2000's.
Would be of interest not only to boxing fans but any sports fan.
We all knew of his association with the mob, and the dive he took in the 2nd fight with Ali, but there's also a lot of interesting facts in a very well written piece. Something I never heard before, Liston was from a large family, he was the 24th child of 25 children his mother bore.
Well worth a read.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Saxon wrote:Yesterday, 30th Oct, exactly 46 years on from the 'Rumble in the Jungle', the World heavyweight fight between George Foreman and Muhammad Ali.
Fight took place in Kinshasha in Zaire, now Democratic Republic of Congo, billed as the sporting event of the century, which many people think is true.
Well we all know what happened, with his 'rope a dope' to tire out Foreman, Ali regained his title with a KO.
I saw a film of the fight one week later at a club I was a member of in Botswana. There was no television in Southern Africa in those days except for the country of Rhodesia.The showing of the fight was free, put on by tobacco company marketing 'Gunstone Toasted' cigarettes. Also everybody received a free 20 pack of Gunstones. Also shown that night was film of a fight from the previous year between South African light heavyweight champ Pierre Fourie and world light heavyweight champ Bob Foster from USA. Fourie lost to Foster but eventually won the title in later years.
Come to think of it the first time I saw film of Leeds FA cup victory over Arsenal was at the same place, I think sponsored by South African Breweries, no we didn't get free beer.
There is a feature length film about this fight (Ali v Foreman) mainly the build up with news footage, interviews and much more.
It's called "When we were Kings" I have it in a box set of two VHS videos the other been the fight itself.
Well worth a watch if you get chance.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Tyson Fury is one fit guy. He looked no different in the final round than he did in the first. On the other hand, Wilder was absolutely knackered by the 5th round. Can't see a heavyweight anywhere who will beat Fury. He needs to take a couple more fights then retire unbeaten.
I once played against Don Revie.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

johnh wrote:Tyson Fury is one fit guy. He looked no different in the final round than he did in the first. On the other hand, Wilder was absolutely knackered by the 5th round. Can't see a heavyweight anywhere who will beat Fury. He needs to take a couple more fights then retire unbeaten.
I agree, John. I had Fury down to win by KO in the 8th, Wilder was out on his feet, seemed to have no gameplan whatsoever. But credit to him for battling on, was a great fight, glad I stayed up to watch it. As for Fury, I agree there isn't anyone that can touch him and quite frankly I think that the Heavyweight division is quite poor. The only person who can give him a run for his money is Usyk imo. He doesn't have the reach but he's a very technical and tactical fighter.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

On the Kahn v Brook undercard, there was a lad fighting whose record was 2 wins 73 defeats. He lost. True. :shock:
I once played against Don Revie.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

johnh wrote:On the Kahn v Brook undercard, there was a lad fighting whose record was 2 wins 73 defeats. He lost. True. :shock:
Watching it now Sir John, the undercard isn’t the strongest that is for sure.

One to watch in the future, Frazer Clarke, he’s massive.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Brilliant from Khan and Brook, what a fight that was.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.