Boxing Thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Boxing Thread

Post by Barlow Boy »

Sign Garry Monk rings out around the Leeds Arena :D
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Barlow Boy wrote:Sign Garry Monk rings out around the Leeds Arena :D
Were you there BB? Garry Monk, Simon Grayson and even Beckford, who I believe carried his belt into the ring?

Didn't watch the fight but credit to JW for taking on a good fighter in his first fight back after so long out.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

No mate, I was just watching on BT.

The noise sounded incredible, and as you say the place was full of Leeds fans and 'celebrities' with connections to the club.

I watched the undercard, and there was a young lad from the North East having only his second fight. I cannot remember his surname, first name Josh and his nickname was pretty boy, but he looked really good. As mentioned, only his second fight, which was probably hand picked but definitely one for the future.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Barlow Boy wrote:No mate, I was just watching on BT.

The noise sounded incredible, and as you say the place was full of Leeds fans and 'celebrities' with connections to the club.

I watched the undercard, and there was a young lad from the North East having only his second fight. I cannot remember his surname, first name Josh and his nickname was pretty boy, but he looked really good. As mentioned, only his second fight, which was probably hand picked but definitely one for the future.
Leather!
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Thanks ANS, but it wasn't him it was this guy.......

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/ot ... s-12899919

Boxing was also on SKY, and I was flicking between BT and SKY, so he wasn't on the Warrington undercard :oops:.
Deleted User 3289

This could be special? I hate building things up because most of the time they fail to deliver. Kell Brook Vrs Errol Sppence at Bamall as all the ingredients to be a cracker. Its a genuine 50/50 fight simply because not a lot is known of the lad Spence, although the Yanks are calling him the Great American hope (no pressure then). My one slight critique of Kell in the past as been his work rate, he will have to be on it from the first bell tomorrow.

Just before that, George Groves will fight for another world title when he faces Fedor Chudinov. It's Groves fourth attempt to win a title if he lost it would be another long road back and he may call it a day?
big jon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by big jon »

Hopefully another cracking fight. The GGG fight imo was a rather silly one to take. I'm a little surprised he gone back down to welterweight - having to lose the weight to take this fight. Lets hope he hasn't had to lose it really quickly to make the weight. He reckons not, so no excuses there. Spence Jr looks the part and from previous fight clips, he's going to take some stopping.
Groves, what has happened to him. He was fantastic in the first fight against Froch. Since then he's just looked average. Good luck to the bloke I hope its 4th time lucky for him. Although I don't think he will keep hold of it very long
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Just hasn't gripped my attention this one, although I did get a bit more interested today watching the weigh in. See how I feel tomorrow, before buying it in.

Thought Groves was a bit embarrassing in his interview, after his weigh in.
Deleted User 3289

Thought Groves was a bit embarrassing in his interview, after his weigh in.
Or lack of it the bit I watched. He does come across as abit arrogant but I suppose when your fighting for your career he's gonna be alittle tetchy.

Everyone's raving about this lad Spence over in the states. He looks like he has never been in a fight in his life, but that could be down to his explosive knockout ratio? He has not fought anybody at Brooks level tho. If Kel wins this, he can forget about Khan and his ridicules claims to a 70/30 split and move on to a unification fight with Keith Thurman.
Deleted User 3289

But he didn't win it! They said Spence was special in the states and it proved to be the case for Brook. Once again I felt Kel's stamina let him down unfortunately, it can't just be blamed on him losing weight he's always been lacking it. After the middle rounds there was only ever going to be one winner. I think he will move up in weight now and go again. Credit to both fighters for taking the fight, him and Amir Khan may as well get it on now in a non title fight.

Credit to Groves aswell who after weathering the first few rounds started to make his superior size and strength count. I'm glad the referee stopped it when he did because the lad was going to end up seriously hurt like Groves last opponent.