Boxing Thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 3289

Re: Boxing Thread

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Here we go then. Joshua vrs Ruiz Jr 2

The first fight managed to shake up the Boxing world when Ruiz won by TKO buzzing Joshua in the 3rd round before the fight being stopped in the 7th. All sorts of conspiracy theories followed but to be fare to Joshua he has denied the lot. So can Ruiz do it again?

Well yeah i think he can, we have seen enough of Joshua to know if he gets caught by a punch he doesn't see coming, the wobbly legs can last for a few rounds. And for such a big guy he gets caught alot. I'm thinking White, Klitschko and now Ruiz. I have to say i thought the Klitchko punch was the best of the lot but Joshua seemed to recover better from that. It would seem that the temple is the place to buzz Joshua, the Klitchko one was a straight right hand.

Joshua has lost a lot of that bulk he seemed to carry, in a lot of ways he reminds me of Bruno but with better movement. This fight is massive for Joshua, lose this and where does he go? Without the belts no one will need to fight him although he has a massive following in the UK so filling stadiums won't be a problem.

If he still as the desire and the fight left in him (if i'm honest he did seem to get carried away with his own hype imo) then he should win. But a loss can do strange things to a Boxer's belief, its a lot of pressure. I hope he wins and brings the belts back in the UK.
Last edited by Deleted User 3289 on 06 Dec 2019, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

If Joshua boxes at distance and doesn't get drawn into a brawl, he should win comfortably on points.
I once played against Don Revie.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:...I have to say i thought the Klitchko punch was the best of the lot but Joshua seemed to recover better from that...
Fabulous fight. I think what saved Joshua that time was that an aging Klitchko tried very quickly after that. Couldn't finish the job. At the time, I actually thought he got excited and wasted whatever energy he had left, mentally as much as physically.

They both had nothing left a couple of rounds later. I remember laughing at their attempts to land a decent punch, but it was in equal measure of awe at their resilience, strength and stubbornness. Brilliant.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Deleted User 3289

I agree KK about Klitchko not finishing the job, only he will know why he didn't put everything he had into taking Joshua out when he had him buzzed? It certainly can't be down to a lack of experience. As you say after that Klitchko had nothing left.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Well that was poor, very poor. I appreciate AJ did a job, but that was boring. I got sent a stream, so thankfully didn’t pay whatever it was to watch it, I’d have been fuming had I paid.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 3289

johnh wrote:If Joshua boxes at distance and doesn't get drawn into a brawl, he should win comfortably on points.
That's exactly how it turned out. Boring fight really but Mayweather & Fury have made a career out of that type of fight, he stuck to the game plan. The belts are coming back to the UK, you could almost see the pounds rolling around in Eddie Hearns eyes at the end. I'm convinced more than ever that Wilder knocks AJ out, but that's for another day.

Well done AJ Good disciplined performance. I'm just glad i didn't pay for it.
Deleted User 3289

I couldn't tell you what game plan Ruiz had. He looked like he couldn't be arsed in there. When AJ weighs in 3 stone lighter Ruis should have known the strategy. I didn't see any of the usual Mexican spirit. He was very disappointing.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:... I didn't see any of the usual Mexican spirit. He was very disappointing.
A run of the mill fighter, Ruiz made £16m last night, I think? As Marvin Hagler famously said, "Its hard to get up and run at 5am when you're wearing silk pyjamas"

I didn't see the fight (studying/exams, at my age :roll: ), but glad I missed it looking at the reports.

Joshua should offer a 3rd match, considering Ruiz went the distance, but can't see it happening, nor would the public want/pay for it.

Just bring on Wilder, it's the only fight I'd pay for. Maybe Fury, but he's passed his best, whatever that was. He's blown so hot and cold, I just can't figure out where he truly is in the rankings.
Last edited by kk white on 08 Dec 2019, 09:50, edited 1 time in total.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
big jon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by big jon »

I'm convinced more than ever that Wilder knocks AJ out, but that's for another day.

I agree VHTM. I watched the Wilder/Ortiz fight and for 6 rounds Wilder hardly threw a punch and then he finished it with one big right - incredible power.
For me I think Fury, if he stopped messing about and concentrated on his boxing, is the best around. He's so awkward, he has shown he can take a big punch. How he managed to get up after being hit by Wilder took some doing :shock:
There are some tasty fights out there if they can be made. I'd like to see Whyte given a chance.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:I couldn't tell you what game plan Ruiz had. He looked like he couldn't be arsed in there. When AJ weighs in 3 stone lighter Ruis should have known the strategy. I didn't see any of the usual Mexican spirit. He was very disappointing.
In one report I read, Ruiz is quoted as saying he didn't train hard enough for the fight, which I suppose is why he had put on 15lb.
I once played against Don Revie.