Boxing Thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Boxing Thread

Post by kk white »

Huge shame. As you said VHTM, poor promotion meant I (casual fan) didn't even know it was happening. If they bring their A game, that has the potential to be fight of the year already.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Already mentioned, this could be a cracker.

I’m not intending to buy it at the minute, but come Saturday, and probably reading about it in the papers, I might just do it. I’d just give it to Eubank, perhaps that little bit hungrier for it at the minute, but it could go either way.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
big jon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by big jon »

Very interesting fight indeed.
I've been disappointed with Groves since he lost to Froch. He seems to have lost his way.
Eubank will be the hungrier for sure. Wasn't it mentioned in his previous fights that he tends to go missing in rounds and any decent fighter would spot this and not allow him to get any respite?
Tough fight to call.......
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

I don't know why, but personally I have this nagging doubt about CUJ bravery. The fights I have seen of his (minus the BJS fight, where he was subdued) he has always been in complete control and made things look really easy. There's no doubt the lad as got a amazing skill set on the bags and pads, but this will be the first time he will have been in a proper battle imo. If CUJ comes through this fight with that same control, then I think he will go on to be a great in the sport.
birkybullufc
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by birkybullufc »

I don't see Eubank Jr losing this. He got a lot of stick after the BJS fight, but BJS showed just how good a boxer he is last time out against Lemieux. Groves' footwork is quality though. He managed to give Froch problems with it. It'll make Eubank look disjointed in the early rounds but I think that by the 6 or 7th he'll catch up with him and Groves won't be able to deal with his power.
Follow the cause not the leaders.
Deleted User 3289

A fairly damp squid affair really. George never really got out of second gear. When CEJ is not dictating a fight he looks devoid of ideas. I tend to agree with Prince Naseem that he's not as good as his team think he is.
Deleted User 3289

Tony Bellew v David Haye round 2. Who wins?

It pains me to say it, but i think Haye will win this one. Don't get me wrong I want Bellew to win, imo i think Haye as taken the sport for a ride for far too long. If Bellew were to win, i see no way back for Haye. After fighting a couple of road sweepers Imo Haye chose Bellew because he thought he would be a easy option leading to a big payday with AJ. Lets hope he gets proven wrong for the second time.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Same as you VHTM. Bellew get my heart, but think Haye will win inside the distance...
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

In the first fight, I think Haye thought he would win easily and didn't prepare. He knows now.. Bellew deserved the win and will not go out easily but I think Haye will win.
I once played against Don Revie.
big jon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by big jon »

johnh wrote:In the first fight, I think Haye thought he would win easily and didn't prepare. He knows now.. Bellew deserved the win and will not go out easily but I think Haye will win.
Totally agree John. TBH I personally don't rate either boxer. I do think Haye will get the decision this time around but I hope it doesn't lead to another bumper payday for him as he doesn't deserve it.
I love Bellew's scouse sense of humour, his pre match comments have made me laugh but was the pushing incident really necessary :oops: