Boxing Thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 3289

Boxing Thread

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Gennady Golovkin vrs Kel Brook (Who Wins?)

With contracts reportedly close to being signed. I think its going to be explosive.
Deleted User 3289

Re: Boxing Thread

Dillian Whyte v Dave Allen confirmed for July 30 Leeds undercard. Should be a good fight
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I've never understood the appeal of boxing as a spectator sport.

The training, yes.
They're as fit as swimmers, right at the top of the overall athletic tree I would say, but an actual bout ??

I've been with people watching in a pub and it just brings out the thug in everyone .. I don't like it.

I wasn't gonna post in here as I'm obviously not a fan, but seeing as nobody else had I thought I couldn't leave you hangin' on your own ...
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

GGG accepted fight against Kell Brook, September 10th :clap: :clap: :clap:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 3289

rigger wrote:I've never understood the appeal of boxing as a spectator sport.

The training, yes.
They're as fit as swimmers, right at the top of the overall athletic tree I would say, but an actual bout ??

I've been with people watching in a pub and it just brings out the thug in everyone .. I don't like it.

I wasn't gonna post in here as I'm obviously not a fan, but seeing as nobody else had I thought I couldn't leave you hangin' on your own ...
Fair play Rigger. I think a lot of it has to do with it not being on normal tv these days. My Dad was a big Boxing fan and I grew up with Hearns, Hagler, Duran, Ray Leonard fights in our house and later getting into the Benn and Eubanks fights. But your right when Alcohol is flowing I've seen afew of the Mike Tyson caricatures your on about.

That MMA stuff which I'm sure is very skilful, is a step too far for me on the brutality scale but is becoming increasingly popular.

BB Kel is a great fighter, but just like Khan, the step up in weight will be the telling factor
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

You are probably right pal, but a great fight for Kell to get.

There aren't many I purchase on SBO, but I probably will that one.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 3289

Same here BB. I'm happy for Brook as it seems no one wanted to fight him at welterweight, and there really is no bigger scalp in Boxing at the minute. Like Khan its a win win fight with a chance for a good purse.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

The thing I find unbelievable is the decision to allow professional boxers into the Olympics. A mind boggling stupid idea. Mixing pro boxers and amateur boxers is the ultimate anti-health and safety. I remember in the 1950's doing National Service, the advice was 'don't get involved in boxing'. This was because young boxing pro's were doing their National Service (usually in the Royal Engineers) and you would never know who you were fighting. Not that it bothered me as I didn't like being punched on the nose. Hurt like hell and made your eyes water:D
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote: That MMA stuff which I'm sure is very skilful, is a step too far for me on the brutality scale but is becoming increasingly popular.

I don't know what MMA means, but I'm guessing it's some form of "ultimate fighting" ? The cage stuff ??

That's insane to my eyes but (almost) understandable as a direct effect of our PC society and the emasculation of the modern man, in this country and across the developed world.

The rise in equality, feminism, salary and role parity and the increasingly mainstream nature of traditionally closeted sexualities has eaten away at the common man for decades and this, along with the increase in dog fighting, is the result.

Like I say, I almost understand it but that doesn't mean I condone it.

Sometimes I look back at the last proper job I had and wonder how I stuck three years in a students' union.
The skewed priorities of a place like that beggar belief to the average joe public on the street.
I remember debating the merits of a transgender toilet in the main bar area for people who were trans-, planning a sex change or just unsure.
In the end, the cost of plumbing, etc was deemed too high .. especially given the number of people who might actually use the damned thing, most of whom wouldn't set foot in a bar that broadcasts sports on several screens pretty much 24/7, including boxing.

See ? I brought it back on topic eventually .. :ugeek:
Deleted User 3289

Agreed John. I really Hope it gets stopped.

I've never thought of it like that Rigger. I'll be starting Mixed Martial Arts training tomorrow, at this rate it wont be long before were having to perform in the Gladiatorial arena again just to prove were a suitable to mate ;)