Room 101

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
+15
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Room 101

Post by +15 »

People who leave their foot on the brakes at traffic lights/junctions.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

+15 wrote:People who leave their foot on the brakes at traffic lights/junctions.
They might be driving with an automatic gearbox.

On a similar vein though, people who brake before they indicate they are going to turn.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

+15 wrote:People who leave their foot on the brakes at traffic lights/junctions.
I have the complete opposite view to this, and in fact, before coming to England I rarely saw anyone use the handbrake for anything other than parking or stopping in a serious incline. I would guess that most stops you make at traffic lights or giving way at intersections & roundabouts are no longer than 10-15 seconds, and I find it much more practical to keep my foot on the brake rather than pull and release the handbrake. Always thought it was useful for the person behind to be aware of what you're doing too (brake lights on - not going anywhere; lights off - you're about to move).
+15
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by +15 »

OK they can stay out of room 101. :oops:
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Personally that would really annoy me I'd just throw it in the back out of the way....
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Bogdan wrote:
I have the complete opposite view to this, and in fact, before coming to England I rarely saw anyone use the handbrake for anything other than parking or stopping in a serious incline. I would guess that most stops you make at traffic lights or giving way at intersections & roundabouts are no longer than 10-15 seconds, and I find it much more practical to keep my foot on the brake rather than pull and release the handbrake. Always thought it was useful for the person behind to be aware of what you're doing too (brake lights on - not going anywhere; lights off - you're about to move).
Oooooh check out the Americanism :shh:

Junctions, dear boy, junctions :thumbup: :lol:

At least you didn't say traffic circle instead of roundabout....

I can't say I'm familiar with the Romanian driving test, but when I was taught to drive, you were instructed on how to use the handbrake and clutch in conjunction to pull away on an uphill incline.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

This could be a whole discussion topic in itself!

Thing about leaving your foot on the brake, if you have your foot on the brake whilst at a stop and get shunted from behind you can't react or apply additional pressure so you normally smash into the back of someone infront of you or run over the people crossing the road. If you have the hand brake on you won't be shunted as far.

That said, I always just have my foot on the brake, can't be arsed putting the hand-brake on!
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

mapperleywhite wrote:Junctions, dear boy, junctions :thumbup: :lol:
Romanianism more like, as our word for it is near-identical to intersection. :oops:
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

Sheepy wrote:Thing about leaving your foot on the brake, if you have your foot on the brake whilst at a stop and get shunted from behind you can't react or apply additional pressure so you normally smash into the back of someone infront of you or run over the people crossing the road. If you have the hand brake on you won't be shunted as far.
This really is an entirely new discussion. :)

Do you have a source for that, mate, cause it doesn't ring true to me, to be honest. Splitting hairs here a bit (but you made the point ! :) ), but as far as I know the hand brake provides only very little braking pressure (it's just a cable most times?), and is usually just connected to the rear wheels. Surely there's no more opposition to any force applied to the car, than the one provided by actioning the brake pedal? In terms of reaction times to something unexpected as well, I reckon it must be quicker to either press harder on the (already pressed) brake pedal, or hit the accelerator, rather than release the hand brake.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Aunt Bessie's Yorkshire puddings :twisted:
Winner of the Europa League