Etymology

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Spiderman
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Re: Etymology

Post by Spiderman »

Phobia translates to irrational fear or hatred.
To use the term "homophobic" for someone who disagrees with the acts of homosexuality is wrong.
I am a heterosexual male who has been married to the same woman for over 36 years, I have two grown up children & a granddaughter with another grandchild on the way.
This is the natural progression of humanity & any deviation is not natural.
I have many good friends male & female who are homosexual, I do not hate them, I do not fear them yet because their way of life is not natural to me I am branded as homophobic.
People should be able to coexist without being labelled.
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

Spiderman wrote:Phobia translates to irrational fear or hatred.
Phobia, as an English word, as far as I've known and as far as sources I can consult online are concerned, also translates as an aversion to something.

Spidy, I think you're carrying the discussion into a personal ground that isn't necessarily related to the quite literal initial topic. I don't think we were debating when to use a certain word, just how it came about and what meaning its original parts carried.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Spidy: who brands you as a homophobic ??
If you spend time with these people, you can't be. I'm an atheist and though I despise religion and the effect it's had on the world, I don't shun anyone of any belief ... well, apart from ManUre, Cardiff and Millwall fans. Funnily enough, one of my best mates is Chelski :D
SMorientes
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by SMorientes »

Spiderman wrote:Phobia translates to irrational fear or hatred.
To use the term "homophobic" for someone who disagrees with the acts of homosexuality is wrong.
I am a heterosexual male who has been married to the same woman for over 36 years, I have two grown up children & a granddaughter with another grandchild on the way.
This is the natural progression of humanity & any deviation is not natural.
I have many good friends male & female who are homosexual, I do not hate them, I do not fear them yet because their way of life is not natural to me I am branded as homophobic.
People should be able to coexist without being labelled.
Oh dear, I thought we were literally just discussing the roots of the word, didn't see it heading here. If you want to condemn homosexual acts as deviant or an aberration, please start a new thread for it.
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
Spiderman
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Spiderman »

SMorientes wrote:
Spiderman wrote:
Oh dear, I thought we were literally just discussing the roots of the word, didn't see it heading here. If you want to condemn homosexual acts as deviant or an aberration, please start a new thread for it.
I've no wish to get on a soapbox & spout out what is right or wrong, we all have many different opinions on many different subjects, live & let live.

Back to the thread, I was just quoting an example of the complexities of the English language.
BigLeedsFan72
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by BigLeedsFan72 »

When I was at Uni studying Philosophy I had a T-shirt that said, "My epistemology class pist me off" the lecturer thought it was the best thing since sliced bread :lol: I still have nightmares about the argument, What is knowledge?? Agghh :crazy:
"Be like water my friend" Bruce Lee
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

When I was at school the 'meaning' of Etymology was secondary to knowing how to spell it correctly. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
BigLeedsFan72
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by BigLeedsFan72 »

johnh wrote:When I was at school the 'meaning' of Etymology was secondary to knowing how to spell it correctly. :D
Haha nice oe John. Most people these days couldn't spell without spell check :lol:

P.S. I ran spell check before posting this :clap: JK
"Be like water my friend" Bruce Lee