Evil in the World

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

Re: Evil in the World

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Widening it up to the broader debate about prisons, punishment and criminality, this is what I think :

- SOME people can be rehabilitated and may be a victim of circumstance : sink estate, junkie/criminal parents one or both were absent, etc
- SOME people cannot be rehabilitated : they're just scum/evil/lazy/entitled to the point of being completely anti-social, sociopathic, etc
- ALL prison is too easy in this country
- Make serious crime into serious time : a 6'x6'x6' cell, bread, vegetables and water
- Remove all the luxury items, period. Freeview TV can stay but only for a couple of hours in the evening and on weekends, the rest of the time they work - and they work hard doing menial jobs

The point is it needs to be a deterrent and it's not.
It's also a public service so I think it should NEVER be privatised.

The key is to find out some way of knowing who can be rehabilitated and who can't, then divide the prison population accordingly.

I don't advocate capital punishment as a rule but I sympathise with some who do, depending on the crime.

My thoughts anyway .. bit drastic for a liberal but if you can't work with society then you have to work without it completely.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

So wrong. The whole thing about not posing a threat to the public is a pile off **** Simply by being out he's causing distress to anyone affected by his sick actions and that's a threat to their psychological well being.

In cases like this the only way he should get out is in a box.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

rigger wrote:Widening it up to the broader debate about prisons, punishment and criminality, this is what I think :

- SOME people can be rehabilitated and may be a victim of circumstance : sink estate, junkie/criminal parents one or both were absent, etc
- SOME people cannot be rehabilitated : they're just scum/evil/lazy/entitled to the point of being completely anti-social, sociopathic, etc
- Make serious crime into serious time : a 6'x6'x6' cell, bread, vegetables and water
- Remove all the luxury items, period. Freeview TV can stay but only for a couple of hours in the evening and on weekends, the rest of the time they work - and they work hard doing menial jobs

The key is to find out some way of knowing who can be rehabilitated and who can't, then divide the prison population accordingly.

I don't advocate capital punishment as a rule but I sympathise with some who do, depending on the crime.

My thoughts anyway .. bit drastic for a liberal but if you can't work with society then you have to work without it completely.
This :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Widening it up to the broader debate about prisons, punishment and criminality, this is what I think :

This too. :thumbup: There are two problems with the Parole Board.

1. There are too many (gullible) bleeding hearts.
2. There is political pressure to reduce costs. (Judges give too many suspended sentences and the Parole Board let them out - Noye is another recent case).
Last edited by johnh on 11 Jun 2019, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.
I once played against Don Revie.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

My dad of 81 years of age, who even I admit is a bit extreme sometimes, reckons amongst other things...

All burglars should have their hands chopped off.
All murderers should be put in a locked room with the relatives of the person/persons they killed.
All rapists should have their bits chopped off (for some reason this has to be with a rusty axe)

As I get older, and you see reports like the one Pock has put up, I sometimes think my dad’s not that extreme after all.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Barlow Boy wrote: ... (for some reason this has to be with a rusty axe)
Because it always IS with a rusty axe whenever anybody says it !! :D
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

rigger wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote: ... (for some reason this has to be with a rusty axe)
Because it always IS with a rusty axe whenever anybody says it !! :D
Really, I’ve only ever heard my dad say it :oops: :oops: :oops:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

''In December 2018, the Parole Board confirmed he was being released, suggesting he no longer posed a significant threat to the public.

He is a threat then, just not significant?
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

rigger wrote:Widening it up to the broader debate about prisons, punishment and criminality, this is what I think :

100% Top Post :thumbup:

They are molly cuddled too much in prisons and it's morally wrong. What's the point in having a victim impact statement in court only to see a guilty verdict and the criminal given more opportunities than a regular guy who has no criminal behavior. They get schooling and an education, the use of a restricted and heavily monitored internet, pool tables. and a great choice of DVD's and other stuff. I once went to Cork prison to visit someone and he had a mobile phone in his hand and the guard didn't even take it off him as he entered the visiting room. It woke me up to how princely they serve their jail-time and come out a more seasoned pro in criminality. Sickens me to be honest.