Winter weather forecast

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 2

Re: Long hard winter ahead

Post by Deleted User 2 »

SMorientes wrote:I can't remember a winter when this wasn't said in the lead up to it. They're never that bad, especially not compared to serious winters like they get in mainland europe when it's like -30 degrees for several months.
That's the impression I get as well.
And genuine question, did there not used to be very snowy winters in the 60s, 70s & 80s? I've seen loads of old match day pictures of snow stacked at the side of the pitch and a turf in an awful state, they can't all have been exceptional circumstances?
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Bogdan wrote:
SMorientes wrote:I can't remember a winter when this wasn't said in the lead up to it. They're never that bad, especially not compared to serious winters like they get in mainland europe when it's like -30 degrees for several months.
That's the impression I get as well.
And genuine question, did there not used to be very snowy winters in the 60s, 70s & 80s? I've seen loads of old match day pictures of snow stacked at the side of the pitch and a turf in an awful state, they can't all have been exceptional circumstances?
Yes, winters did used to be a lot worse. 1947 and 1963 were particularly bad but most years we had quite a bit of snow. I remember playing a Yorkshire League game in 1967 on Easter Saturday. The temperature was over 70 degrees and it was like playing in mid-summer. Easter Sunday morning I got up and there was a foot of snow on the ground! In '47 and '63 there was no central heating. Upstairs, there was no heating of any kind. That was the downside, the upside was that as I didn't have a car I didn't have to worry about the tyres. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
SMorientes
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by SMorientes »

Bogdan wrote: That's the impression I get as well.
I think they used to have bad winters in the 60s & 70s. Back then global warming hadn't started yet and some scientists at the time were actually worried about a thing called global cooling!
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Re: Winter weather forecast

Post by Aces »

At least we had a good summer, the first one since 1976. Another nice summer is predicted in 2050 so it's not all bad, lol.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT