whats your signature dish

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

Re: whats your signature dish

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Hausgemachte Kartoffelsuppe
(Home-made potato soup - only because I'm making it in a minute)

Basic ingredients :
3 x large-ish potatoes
1 x large-ish onion
4 or 5 cloves of garlic
Splash of olive oil
Ground almonds (about two heaped desert spoons)
1 litre full fat milk
500ml of stock (any kind will do)

Variable ingredients :
Sausage/chicken/bacon/salami - I tend to use half a chorizo and some bacon, but I have used chicken and other meats before.
Vegetables - whatever's to hand, really. Celery, carrots, peppers and spinach are all fine, as are broccoli, peas, sweet potatoes, etc.
Mushrooms - if you want a bit more heft to it all and like the flavour.
Herbs and seasoning - again, whatever you like : I use paprika, salt and pepper usually but have made it with chilli before.

Instructions :
1. Chop up the potatoes as small as you can and begin to boil them in a pan.
2. Chop up the onion and garlic and begin cooking them in the oil in the bottom of a large saucepan/casserole.
3. Chop up the rest of the veggies and add to the large pan as you go.
4. Stick the kettle on.
5. Chop up the meat you've selected and fry on a medium heat in a non-stick frying pan. If you've gone for two or more types, do it one at a time, eg chorizo first, then the bacon. When you've finished the first one, pour everything (juices especially) into a bowl for now and move to the next one.
6. With the kettle boiled, make the stock in a jug.
7. The onions and garlic should be browned off and the veggies starting to cook so add the stock to the big pot.
8. Check on the potatoes. They don't need to be completely soft, just at least half-way boiled.
9. Finish cooking the meat. Pour everything into the bowl so you've got a mixed meat selection to add to the mix, but we don't need it yet.
10. Add the spuds to the big pot and stir in so everything's cooking nicely. You can turn up the heat if you're getting hungry. Leave for ten minutes.
11. Do some washing up or your kitchen will look like a bomb-site.
12. It should be looking like a soup by now : translucent veggie broth, coming along nicely. Time to break out the blender : ladles at the ready ! Scoop half the pot into the mixer and whizz for a few seconds till it becomes a lot smoother and resembles warm sick 8-)
13. You may wish to pour the content of the blender into a bowl for a moment before whizzing half the remaining contents of the large pot.
Make sure you leave some juicy vegetable chunks in there though - you don't want to blend all of it or it'll be a bit gruelly ..
14. Pour what you've blended back into the big pot. All of it. Now add some seasoning : paprika and a generous amount of S & P.
15. Add the ground almonds to thicken it all.
16. Add half the milk. You might not need it at all, but I like to do this because it makes a lot more soup overall - this will easily serve 4 people, but you can stretch it to lunch the next day if you're canny ..
17. Finally - the best bit - add the meat and all its juices and stir through. If you use chorizo, there should be loads of the good stuff : all deep crimson and that gorgeous smell. You deliberately do NOT want to blend that stuff because it's what makes the soup so good.
18. OPTIONAL : toast some almond flakes and add to the final pot for an added texture. Depends if you like your soup crunchy, I guess :mrgreen:

Leave on a low heat till you're ready to eat and serve either with wholegrain crackers, American style, or chunky brown bread.

Don't serve too much of it because it's MASSIVELY filling - better to have a smaller portion first and see how you get on.
I've wasted whole afternoons sleeping this stuff off .. but it's bloody gorgeous, especially on a cold day ..
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

rigger wrote:Hausgemachte Kartoffelsuppe
(Home-made potato soup - only because I'm making it in a minute)

Basic ingredients :
3 x large-ish potatoes
1 x large-ish onion
4 or 5 cloves of garlic
Splash of olive oil
Ground almonds (about two heaped desert spoons)
1 litre full fat milk
500ml of stock (any kind will do)

Variable ingredients :
Sausage/chicken/bacon/salami - I tend to use half a chorizo and some bacon, but I have used chicken and other meats before.
Vegetables - whatever's to hand, really. Celery, carrots, peppers and spinach are all fine, as are broccoli, peas, sweet potatoes, etc.
Mushrooms - if you want a bit more heft to it all and like the flavour.
Herbs and seasoning - again, whatever you like : I use paprika, salt and pepper usually but have made it with chilli before.

Instructions :
1. Chop up the potatoes as small as you can and begin to boil them in a pan.
2. Chop up the onion and garlic and begin cooking them in the oil in the bottom of a large saucepan/casserole.
3. Chop up the rest of the veggies and add to the large pan as you go.
4. Stick the kettle on.
5. Chop up the meat you've selected and fry on a medium heat in a non-stick frying pan. If you've gone for two or more types, do it one at a time, eg chorizo first, then the bacon. When you've finished the first one, pour everything (juices especially) into a bowl for now and move to the next one.
6. With the kettle boiled, make the stock in a jug.
7. The onions and garlic should be browned off and the veggies starting to cook so add the stock to the big pot.
8. Check on the potatoes. They don't need to be completely soft, just at least half-way boiled.
9. Finish cooking the meat. Pour everything into the bowl so you've got a mixed meat selection to add to the mix, but we don't need it yet.
10. Add the spuds to the big pot and stir in so everything's cooking nicely. You can turn up the heat if you're getting hungry. Leave for ten minutes.
11. Do some washing up or your kitchen will look like a bomb-site.
12. It should be looking like a soup by now : translucent veggie broth, coming along nicely. Time to break out the blender : ladles at the ready ! Scoop half the pot into the mixer and whizz for a few seconds till it becomes a lot smoother and resembles warm sick 8-)
13. You may wish to pour the content of the blender into a bowl for a moment before whizzing half the remaining contents of the large pot.
Make sure you leave some juicy vegetable chunks in there though - you don't want to blend all of it or it'll be a bit gruelly ..
14. Pour what you've blended back into the big pot. All of it. Now add some seasoning : paprika and a generous amount of S & P.
15. Add the ground almonds to thicken it all.
16. Add half the milk. You might not need it at all, but I like to do this because it makes a lot more soup overall - this will easily serve 4 people, but you can stretch it to lunch the next day if you're canny ..
17. Finally - the best bit - add the meat and all its juices and stir through. If you use chorizo, there should be loads of the good stuff : all deep crimson and that gorgeous smell. You deliberately do NOT want to blend that stuff because it's what makes the soup so good.
18. OPTIONAL : toast some almond flakes and add to the final pot for an added texture. Depends if you like your soup crunchy, I guess :mrgreen:

Leave on a low heat till you're ready to eat and serve either with wholegrain crackers, American style, or chunky brown bread.

Don't serve too much of it because it's MASSIVELY filling - better to have a smaller portion first and see how you get on.
I've wasted whole afternoons sleeping this stuff off .. but it's bloody gorgeous, especially on a cold day ..
Es klingt richtig gut aus!

When I lived there our local used to garnish their kartoffelsuppe with small strips of smoked salmon, lovely.....

Might one inquire if this is a celebratory preparation?
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Deleted User 728

No.
Not at all.

Didn't get it.

Apparently I misread the brief for the presentation - not possible from the three lines I was given, but I guess sometimes you have to read between those lines .. which I failed to do.

I hated the sound of what they wanted me to do anyway.
A lot of schmoozing with the upper echelons of the university and external bodies like the council, etc.

I'm actually relieved I didn't get it in a weird kind of way ...

So, yeah .. now I come to think about it, maybe it is a celebration after all :D
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Not a signature dish but useful for a quick snack on a cold day. Tin of Baxters Highland Broth soup (though I haven't seen any yet in my local mini-supermarket). Pour into pan. Grate two Oxo cubes into a mug, pour an inch of boiling water and mix to a runny paste. Pour into the pan of soup and mix well in. Simmer to a boil, stirring frequently. Pour into soup bowl and add a generous portion of croutons. How the other half live eh! :D
I once played against Don Revie.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

- Take five slices of Danish salami (Morrisons, Sainsbury's deli counter) and put them on a double layer of kitchen towel on a plate. Cover with another double layer of kitchen towel. Microwave on full power for about 2 minutes
- Put the salami between two slices of your favourite buttered bread. Eat. Enjoy!
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Get a cold sausage roll, slice down the side of the thicker side of the pastry, gently open and place a thick slice of strong cheddar on top of the sausage, place in the microwave for 30 seconds and add a dollop of HP, Mmmmm.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Fast tasty lunch

French bread baguette
Minute steak (at the minute :crazy: £2.53 a pack in TESCO enough for 4 easily)
Onion
Mushrooms
Gravy (Bisto etc)

Slice up the steak, mushrooms and onion and fry off. When half done add the sliced steak and fry off, only takes a couple of minutes.
Boil water and make up a cup of gravy then add to the pan stirring in.

Slice the baguette and open out (I like to butter it as well)

Scoop out the steak etc from pan and fill the baguette, season to taste.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:Cheesy toast, baked beans with a fried egg on top and a good dollop of brown sauce. Simple meal for a simple man. :D
Twas going great until the brown sauce :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

On Saturday we had a fillet of cod with a rich tomato sauce served with sauté potatoes ( part boiled & then sautéed in butter) asparagus, green beans & the obligatory peas :D Had a bottle of Pouilly Fume with it which was absolutely delicious.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

I made a shepherd's pie yesterday, more or less following the recipe posted in here by NW even though I've made cottage pie loads of times.
I'd never cooked with lamb mince before but it went well and was extremely tasty !

I didn't bother with the wine stage though, but apart from that everything was the same.
Trouble was, I kinda over-estimated the meat/gravy/veg part and although I cooked what I thought was plenty of mashed potato, when I filled the usual casserole dish with the former, it came so high as only to leave less than an inch for the latter which was never gonna be enough.

I had a dilemma.
Did I either just put a thin layer of potato on top or transfer to a different pot ?
I did the latter and used a deep roasting tray instead .. which of course then meant I didn't have anywhere near enough mash.

It still tasted gorgeous but it looked like a potato-tribute to Tracy Island when it came out of the oven, with cheddary peaks instead of snow on the hills, all swimming in an ocean of minced lamb, vegetables and gravy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: