Monica Galetti
9%

Total votes: 11

Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Chef

Post by Davycc »

ChilwellWhite wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:The chef to me has stolen a living for years is Ainsley Harriot, what a waste of time in my humble culinary opinion. Worrell Thompson is another for that catergory.

You talk about stealing a living well on Master Chef what does the Millwall supporting Greg Wallace bring to the party, what a waste of license payers money. Monica and Marcus or John Tarode yes but not Wallace.
Here I'll have you know he's a fruit and veg merchant ..... oh er , see what you mean. have to say though I don't mind him (for a Milwall supporter)
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Ive just opened a bottle as we are home after our mini Christmas break & got to thinking about this thread I too agree with Greg Wallace but also stealing a living are the Hairy Bikers, really dislike them with a passion.
Winner of the Europa League
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

Anyone else remember Graham Kerr (aka The Galloping Gourmet), or even Fanny (and Johnnie) Cradock?
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Wigan White wrote:Anyone else remember Graham Kerr (aka The Galloping Gourmet), or even Fanny (and Johnnie) Cradock?
Yes I resemble that remark :roll: Kerr brought a show business aspect to cooking, Fanny was a classical cook & also wrote reviews in I think The Telegraph she was rather a formidable lady that's for sure. The monocled Johnnie surely couldn't have been that hen pecked could he..
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I remember those two .. vaguely ;)

Funnily enough, one guy who was never on TV but who wrote a stonking cookery book/guide to entertaining at home is one Len Deighton, the spy novelist.

He was also a talented artist and cartoonist and the illustrations he drew - originally for a weekly newspaper strip in the 60s - were stunning.
It's great to look back at some of the recipes now as he mentions seasonal veg and resorting to canned varieties if fresh is unavailable or too expensive.
It's a different world we live in today, but the meals and methods he details still stand up and I love my copy.

It's called The Action Cook Book :D
(oh, and he taught Michael Caine how to cook on the set of The Ipcress File as the character, Harry Palmer, was a bit of a gourmet himself)

Here's a few sample pages :

mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

rigger wrote:I remember those two .. vaguely ;)

Funnily enough, one guy who was never on TV but who wrote a stonking cookery book/guide to entertaining at home is one Len Deighton, the spy novelist.

He was also a talented artist and cartoonist and the illustrations he drew - originally for a weekly newspaper strip in the 60s - were stunning.
It's great to look back at some of the recipes now as he mentions seasonal veg and resorting to canned varieties if fresh is unavailable or too expensive.
It's a different world we live in today, but the meals and methods he details still stand up and I love my copy.

It's called The Action Cook Book :D
(oh, and he taught Michael Caine how to cook on the set of The Ipcress File as the character, Harry Palmer, was a bit of a gourmet himself)

Here's a few sample pages :

That is very clever - I like it! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
mapperleywhite

Post by mapperleywhite »

I don't know if he is related to Paul, but I've come across Neil Rankin.

What I like about him is that he has a degree in physical science and applies it to cooking meat. Have a look on you tube for his technique for doing sirloin and you'll be drooling at the end I'm sure.

Amusingly he has a recipe which he calls 'slutty chicken' because he opens the legs of the bird as wide as possible to allow the heat to penetrate its innards.
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by cheffy007 »

Don't get me started on 'celebrity chef'. In the real world of 14 hour days and 60 hour weeks only a couple from that list could probably still hack it in a kitchen of 40 plus degrees, old equipment, skeleton staff and 200 customers plus another 100 walk ins ( that was my day today). I think that once you make the break from being on the frontline to working in a TV studio where all your ingredients are weighed out and there is one you made earlier, you soon lose touch with the reality of a real working kitchen. I have been doing this for 33 years in kitchens big and small, cooked intimate meals for 2, cooked for various members of the royal family, A list celebs and banquets for 500, and the only place in the world where a party sits down on time is on bloody master chef. Greg 'the hood from thunderbirds' Wallace standing there tapping his watch and looking all sweaty as the clock nears dinner time is all front and drama for the cameras. The chef tells the restaurant manager when to sit a party down but even then you can add at least 15 minutes to that call.
And breathe and relax, sorry for the rant but I've had a very busy Christmas and still got to wait until Thursday for a full day off with the family.
The only guy missing from the list and who would get my vote every time is fellow Leeds fan and culinary genius Brian Turner.
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
mapperleywhite

Post by mapperleywhite »

cheffy007 wrote:Don't get me started on 'celebrity chef'. In the real world of 14 hour days and 60 hour weeks only a couple from that list could probably still hack it in a kitchen of 40 plus degrees, old equipment, skeleton staff and 200 customers plus another 100 walk ins ( that was my day today). I think that once you make the break from being on the frontline to working in a TV studio where all your ingredients are weighed out and there is one you made earlier, you soon lose touch with the reality of a real working kitchen. I have been doing this for 33 years in kitchens big and small, cooked intimate meals for 2, cooked for various members of the royal family, A list celebs and banquets for 500, and the only place in the world where a party sits down on time is on bloody master chef. Greg 'the hood from thunderbirds' Wallace standing there tapping his watch and looking all sweaty as the clock nears dinner time is all front and drama for the cameras. The chef tells the restaurant manager when to sit a party down but even then you can add at least 15 minutes to that call.
And breathe and relax, sorry for the rant but I've had a very busy Christmas and still got to wait until Thursday for a full day off with the family.
The only guy missing from the list and who would get my vote every time is fellow Leeds fan and culinary genius Brian Turner.
Cheffy - as was said earlier in the thread, if you had your own show we'd all vote for you!

Watching the Villa game on Thursday?
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

mapperleywhite wrote:I don't know if he is related to Paul, but I've come across Neil Rankin.

What I like about him is that he has a degree in physical science and applies it to cooking meat. Have a look on you tube for his technique for doing sirloin and you'll be drooling at the end I'm sure.

Amusingly he has a recipe which he calls 'slutty chicken' because he opens the legs of the bird as wide as possible to allow the heat to penetrate its innards.
My kinda chef :mrgreen:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: