Chuffing heck

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Chuffing heck

Post by johnh »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Getting near to flooding here our local nature reserve on the River Trent is near to overflow, local pub shut due to flooding. Sandbags at the ready.
My son who lives in Gunthorpe was on TV some years ago when they had floods which reached almost to his garage roof. Fortunately their house is on higher ground and the water didn't quite reach. Hope you stay dry NW.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I live in a top floor flat on a hill :)

There's flooding down the road from me on the main road into Southampton from the west. It's a triple-lane artery that floods every time the rest of the country does but successive councils have avoided tackling the problem for .. well, as long as I can remember : decades, certainly.

The road is parallel and just a few metres from the quayside on the Solent/River Test, so it would probably entail boring much larger drains and sewer tunnels so I imagine it would be a major engineering task costing millions of pounds. Given they only fix pot-holes around Easter when the budget for the year is about to be renewed, I think they see it as a PR problem to ride out whenever it happens rather than anything they actually need to fix.

I would imagine it's the same all over the country.
The population has risen about 20m in sixty-odd years and the old infrastructure is no longer fit for purpose.

.. but then neither is the government, whoever is in charge.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Baton down them hatches Brendon is on his way... No not the guy of Coach Trip, storm Brendon. Gonna be strong winds particularly up in Scotland, Norn Ireland & here on the West coast.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:No not the guy of Coach Trip, storm Brendon.
I literally laughed out loud in the middle of Sainsbury’s at that one :lol: :lol: :lol:.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

It's been a bit breezy in the Cairngorms :shock:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Breezy .... we were stuck in work because the gates couldn't open with the wind.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Got a good covering of snow this morning, suppose the ski folk will be happy :(
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 3289

Selby White wrote:Got a good covering of snow this morning, suppose the ski folk will be happy :(
Its really mild here on the Northwest coast. The storm was in a tea cup nowhere near as bad as expected.
Deleted User 3289

What a glorious day here on the North West Coast. I have had the dog on the beach in my jumper this morning. Hey... i bet you Southern softies can't make such a claim. :D
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Nice bright sunny day down here in Berkshire. Frost this morning but cleared now.
I once played against Don Revie.