Chuffing heck

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Chuffing heck

Post by NottinghamWhite »

By the cringe it's cold here on the Costa del Nottingham this morning, even with the heating on. What's it like in your neck of the woods :roll:
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 3289

Re: Chuffing heck

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Freezing here in Blackpool too NW. I love it like this tho, great for taking the dog.

I said to the mrs this morning "put your coat on, she replied excitedly why are you taking me out, I said no, i'm turning the heating off" :D
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

This morning was the first morning I have had to scrape the windows of my car before setting off for work .. and I leave at around 4am :o

So yeah .. it is suddenly colder, but having said that it's an absolutely glorious day down here now !
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Sue & I were talking this morning about the winters back in the 60's with 6' snow drifts & everything grinding to a halt. Suppose we get things much easier these days.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

One of my first early memories of Snow was down at My Grandparents in Notts "a small village called Jacksdale" the snow was around 2 ft deep. And I nearly disappeared in it. They were proper winters.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Fog descending on Mapperley Park... :o
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Winters definitely arrived used to love winter as a kid, sledging and stuff but not keen at all these days.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

The 1947 winter was the worst in my lifetime, closely followed by 1963. Pretty chilly in Berkshire today but as Rigger says, bright sunshine and a blue sky.
It won't tempt me out though, just like looking out of the window next to the central heating radiator. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

When I first moved up to East Midlands in the winter of 1979 I lived in Derby but worked out in the sticks out towards Belper. There were a couple of occasions when everyone was sent home because we were in danger of being cut off because the snow was so heavy. Driving on the road that led to the relative safety of the A6 was like being on a toboggan run, with high walls of snow on either side of the road. A few days later I drove to the top of the hill near work only to find the it blocked by what must have been an 8 foot snow drift - never seen anything like it.

In fact the winters in the early 80's were extremely cold...I seem to recall a period of several weeks when going out to work it was minus 20, perhaps lower. Nowadays people get panicky if it just goes below freezing, yet back then there wasn't a fuss and we just got on with things.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I think I have posted this before, apologies if I have. In 1962/63 we had been saving up for a fridge. It was delivered in February of '63. During the first night we had it, it was warmer inside the fridge (which was on) than in the rest of the house. No central heating then!
I once played against Don Revie.