Post by NottinghamWhite »

Snow forecast here tomorrow, can’t blooming wait :roll:
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Chuffing heck

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:
Selby White wrote:Very Cold drizzle, had a walk into town and back though.

Should I say hobble as the old Gout is playing up and now wishing i hadn't walked on it :(
What exactly is gout ??
One of my colleagues says his gets worse if he drinks too much Guinness (he's of Irish extraction).
He's 61.
I don't know what it is and keep meaning to ask him but keep forgetting.
I'm 53 :D
Its very painful.
Its Uric acid build up in the blood caused by your kidneys not cleaning it quick enough.
It causes crystals to build in the joints which in turn cause inflammation and if untreated long term damage like arthritis
A number of foods can be the trigger but ones mainly high in purines. Liver, Kidneys, Shell fish are among the worst so I have to avoid. But too much red meat or cheap and processed meats are not great for it if have too much.

Dehydration is another trigger (that is where alcohol can be an issue). That often is the one that catches me out if I've done sport and not taken enough water onboard then settled with a beer or wine in the evening.

Eating big meals isn't good but also going too long without food can cause an attack.

Eating fruit and veggies is good so for the most part I make sure I eat plenty as well as take Vitamin C tablets.
Done lots of research over the years on the good and bad things.

Quite a decent sized percentage do get it to varying degrees but it is hereditary so if you've not had an attack you are likely to be OK I would think but don't take that as a guarantee.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Selby White wrote:
rigger wrote:
Selby White wrote:Very Cold drizzle, had a walk into town and back though.

Should I say hobble as the old Gout is playing up and now wishing i hadn't walked on it :(
What exactly is gout ??
One of my colleagues says his gets worse if he drinks too much Guinness (he's of Irish extraction).
He's 61.
I don't know what it is and keep meaning to ask him but keep forgetting.
I'm 53 :D
Its very painful.
Its Uric acid build up in the blood caused by your kidneys not cleaning it quick enough.
It causes crystals to build in the joints which in turn cause inflammation and if untreated long term damage like arthritis
A number of foods can be the trigger but ones mainly high in purines. Liver, Kidneys, Shell fish are among the worst so I have to avoid. But too much red meat or cheap and processed meats are not great for it if have too much.

Dehydration is another trigger (that is where alcohol can be an issue). That often is the one that catches me out if I've done sport and not taken enough water onboard then settled with a beer or wine in the evening.

Eating big meals isn't good but also going too long without food can cause an attack.

Eating fruit and veggies is good so for the most part I make sure I eat plenty as well as take Vitamin C tablets.
Done lots of research over the years on the good and bad things.

Quite a decent sized percentage do get it to varying degrees but it is hereditary so if you've not had an attack you are likely to be OK I would think but don't take that as a guarantee.
It used to be called the rich mans ailment as foods and drinks only available to the well off can flare it up.

My ex who has chronic kidney problems (one removed and the other failing) suffers badly from it. Says even the lightest bed sheet touching her toes is agony.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Davycc wrote:
It used to be called the rich mans ailment as foods and drinks only available to the well off can flare it up.
That is spot on Davy back in the day the upper classes only ate meat and not veggies, where the poor couldn't afford meat so basically lived off veggies.

Look at portraits from back in the day and the wealthy always had rosy complexions where the poor looked pale, all to do with the diet of the time as is gout.
The rich where the ones you see pushed in the wheelchair with a great big bandage on the foot.

Of course the big toe is the well known joint it attacks but it can be any joint, wrist and knees occasionally with me.

I'm a big believer that medicine in the future should go down the DNA route and people would know from birth what ailments they are likely to suffer as they age. That would give everyone chance to consider their diet for life and prolong a healthy life.
Not only gout but things like cancers, diabetics, heart disease, etc, to me its a sensible way to go and could save the health service billions in the long run.

Apologies for going off thread, probably health is a subject worthy of its own.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Snow forecast here tomorrow, can’t blooming wait :roll:
Looking very ominous out there at the moment. Reckon we’ll have some in the not to distant.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Thanks for the info re: gout :)

Sounds unbearable if it's bad.

I'm diabetic but only type 2 and it's manageable and doesn't impact that much on my life.
In some ways it's been a benefit as I'm much healthier and far fitter than I was ten years ago.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

A couple of years ago, I had a problem with the base of the thumb on my left hand. Couldn't use the hand for anything. Acutely painful, red line on its way up my arm. Doc sent me to hospital and they put me on an anti-biotic drip for almost the whole day. Originally, they were going to admit me but I ended up visiting the hospital each day for the next three days. They didn't seem to know what the problem was and gout was mentioned. I always thought gout was restricted to the foot but apparently not. They finally settled on Cellulitis but it got sorted. Haven't had it since.
I once played against Don Revie.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

A very heavy frost this morning but still no sign of snow (thank goodness).
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Heavy snow showers here in the West of Ireland, but buckets of rain have left the ground too wet for snow to stick.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Haven't seen snow for 2 years. I think its something to do with Berkshire being the 'Royal' County. :lol: