Anyone else watch the Froch v Groves fight?

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Anyone else watch the Froch v Groves fight?

Post by Aces »

Well if you didn't you missed an amazing fight again. When Froch beat Kessler the last time out, I didn't think I would ever see a better fight than that, but ...... I think this one just surpassed it. Plus it had huge controversy over the Ref stopping the fight when Groves was in trouble. I have looked at it over and over and Groves was in trouble, but the Ref should have given it a few more seconds to see if Froch was going to knock him out, or if Groves could recover, like froch did when he was knocked down in the first. Anyway the Ref stopped it after 9 amazing rounds of blood and thunder boxing and I have never seen any better fight than that, maybe when Ali fought Frazier in the Thriller in Manilla, but for pure brute constant action, the Froch versus Groves fight was even better IMO.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Re: Anyone else watch the Froch v Groves fight?

Post by Aces »

I thought this was a really good off football topic, it's been a massive story over the weekend and it's still rumbling on. I love Carl a Froch, his strength and attitude is amazing, I knew very little about George Groves before this fight, but what I have heard from him since he lost, admittedly in not so clear cut circumstances, leads me to believe he's a stupid person! But then again Carl Froch hasn't come out of this well either. There's no doubt Groves can fight, but the lad just needs to stop with the verbals, he said today everyone knew he had won, Eh???? He lost, he was gone, Froch was gonna floor him and I was gutted the Ref stopped it, I wanted to see a Groves knocked out. Great fight though, can't wait for the rematch.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
birkybullufc
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by birkybullufc »

Saw the fight and it was disappointing the way it ended. Froch definitely wasn't at his best and Groves game plan was spot on. It was an entertaining fight and the referee clearly stopped it too early. I can understand why he did it, as the fight was fairly brutal and neither fighter was protecting themselves properly. It wasn't as brutal as Benn v McClelland or Eubanks v Watson but if you're a boxing ref today, you will surely have thoughts in the back of your mind of what happened in those fights.
I've lost a lot of respect for Froch anyway after the things he said in the run up to the last fight against Kessler. Grove was more than lucky to get the decision against Degale and didn't give him a rematch so it is a bit rich to demand one with Froch. I hope there is one, and I look forward to James Degale knocking out the winner.
Follow the cause not the leaders.
big jon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by big jon »

I saw the fight too. Outstanding courage from both fighters. Groves won the pre match verbals without a doubt. He executed his plan down to a tee by getting under Froch's skin (just like he did Degale's). I was surprised he stood toe to toe with him though but give credit where credits due, Groves deserved to be ahead before it was prematurely stopped so to speak. I was even more surprised when Froch landed on his backside in the 1st!!.
Was it a poor performance from Froch? or was it that Groves has come of age and is ready to take the champions crown? He was definitely quicker to the punch and put him down to boot!