Sport Newsflash

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Sport Newsflash

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Selby White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:Have just got back from a fantastic day at the Crucible theatre watching the World Snooker Championships.

Mark Selby and Barry Hawkins won fairly quickly, so the whole place was a bit disappointed. Then, Rob Walker comes on and says hang around for a bit, and we will sort an exhibition match. On come Dennis Taylor and Peter Ebdon to play a game, with John Virgo providing the commentary/description of shots. Some excellent play, Ebdon getting 8 reds/8 blacks at one stage, but the star of the show was Dennis Taylor, some hilarious jokes and tales from his past.

Great day out :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Nice one BB, Remember back in the day before snooker players earned mega bucks they travelled around the country doing exhibitions. Was fortunate to see both Ray Reardon and John Spencer when they were world champions at the Railway Club in Selby (still got their autographs)
I wasn't there but apparently Alex Higgins came once and was so drink he was losing to local players.
John Spencer was one of my first sporting heroes! I think Higgins eventually unseated him but I wouldn't be certain on that. Loved Dracula (Ray) too.

On BBC2 yesterday afternoon they repeated the '40th anniversary of the Crucible' celebrations of the previous night (I assume) with all the living champions of those years in attendance. I'm not exaggerating, I was getting quite emotional seeing all the old clips. I was never any cop at snooker but did enjoy it, and our family were avid Pot Black viewers EVEN with a b&w telly for most of the 70s! From those clips there were a few players names I'd forgotten, can you help me out guys?

A South African player (I think) quite tall, forgotten his name. Not checked - was there a Tony Drago? Then there was a young fella, a little Cockney I think, Meo? Superb television anyway.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Ah! those were the days. 'For those watching in black and white, the brown is the ball immediately behind the pink'.
I once played against Don Revie.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Perrie Mans, Tony Meo, Eddie Charlton, Alex Higgins, Ray Reardon, John Spencer, Fred Davies et al, could go on for ever!
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

One of two sports other than football that I'll happily watch, snooker - the other being golf :)
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

johnh wrote:Perrie Mans, Tony Meo, Eddie Charlton, Alex Higgins, Ray Reardon, John Spencer, Fred Davies et al, could go on for ever!
Fred & Joe Davies, brothers weren't they? Possibly a third brother who played too?

Silvino Francisco was one of the faces I've just remembered. We had a pro-snooker player in south Leeds too, never won owt but did the circuits, I believe. Might still do so but I doubt it v much. Trigg is his name. Joe Johnson was based up in Morley too, another good winner, a decent chap with no airs and graces about him.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Joe Johnson does the co-commentary on Eurosport, just says it how it is. Not sure if he still wears the shoes :D
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Lets not forget Big Bill Werbeniuk

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 1022

Post by Deleted User 1022 »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
johnh wrote:Perrie Mans, Tony Meo, Eddie Charlton, Alex Higgins, Ray Reardon, John Spencer, Fred Davies et al, could go on for ever!
Fred & Joe Davies, brothers weren't they? Possibly a third brother who played too?

Silvino Francisco was one of the faces I've just remembered. We had a pro-snooker player in south Leeds too, never won owt but did the circuits, I believe. Might still do so but I doubt it v much. Trigg is his name. Joe Johnson was based up in Morley too, another good winner, a decent chap with no airs and graces about him.
Cant forget one of the most talented players of the modern era who was a Leeds man, Paul Hunter who sadly died far too soon.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

CorkWhite wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:

Cant forget one of the most talented players of the modern era who was a Leeds man, Paul Hunter who sadly died far too soon.
The Paul Hunter trophy was on display at the crucible, must admit it got me choked a little bit. I used to see him regular when I was a member at the Northern Snooker Centre.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Anyone going to the Tour de Yorkshire over the weekend ?
We are planning to do the first stage Friday, be at the start in Bridlington and finish in Scarborough.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.