Sport Newsflash

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Sport Newsflash

Post by Selby White »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:
Selby White wrote:Anyone going to the Tour de Yorkshire over the weekend ?
We are planning to do the first stage Friday, be at the start in Bridlington and finish in Scarborough.
Did you end up going Selby? A Belgian bloke won it I believe.
Sorry for late reply but just seen your question VHTM, and yes we did the first stage. What strikes me most is the amount of organisation that goes into these events, excellent day out and stopped at a lovely pub on the way home for a meal.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

PockWhite wrote:SW, is that you in action then? :o ;) :D
Can't deny it PW, was at a recent tournament I played near Bristol (do the national veterans circuit sometimes). Was actually going for a shot I managed to put my foot on a barrier leg (at full speed i'll add :crazy: ) and send myself flying landing on my knee and wrist. It certainly hurt a bit but was ok to play on although managed to clutch defeat from the jaws of victory, was 2 sets up at the time but lost in the 5th.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Davycc wrote:
PockWhite wrote:SW, is that you in action then? :o ;) :D
I must be super fit, I end up like this every Friday and Saturday night ;)

Well done SW it's worth it. Isn't it amazing how we will torture ourselves playing something we love (squash for me) but as me to go running or swimming and I couldn't face it
Same with me Davy, running, swimming I cant do but give me a ball to hit, chase, catch or kick and i'm a teenager again (ok slight exaggeration ;) ).
The missus is opposite not a competitive bone in her body but can swim up and down the pool just for exercise (is actually there now).

Not really sport but got into Walking in recent years and we get out in the Dales or Moors often, but although the exercise is good its more abought the fantastic scenery.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

The Brownlee Brothers again show the world they are Invincible, what incredible athletes they are.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Boris Becker skint and declared bankrupt.

Probably earned more in one year than i will in my lifetime, no sympathy here.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Selby White wrote:Boris Becker skint and declared bankrupt.

Probably earned more in one year than i will in my lifetime, no sympathy here.
He lost most of it in 5minutes in a cupboard. It pays sometimes to keep it in the pants. :D

Don't know if it's been mentioned, what a sad way to end a poor career. Dan Evans snorting Coke "possible of someone's breasts" would soften the blow abit. :silent:
Deleted User 3289

Just watched Rafa Nadal. It's great to see him healthy again. For me RF will always be the most gifted Tennis player of my generation. Rafael nadal imo is the greatest competitor I have ever witnessed. The way he plays each point as though it's his last, is truly a special talent.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:Just watched Rafa Nadal. It's great to see him healthy again. For me RF will always be the most gifted Tennis player of my generation. Rafael nadal imo is the greatest competitor I have ever witnessed. The way he plays each point as though it's his last, is truly a special talent.

I'd bet McEnroe to beat anyone if it came down to it.

A bit like Jimmy White .. may not be consistently the best, but playing to his maximum he was the best ever.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Pete Sampras is the best I've seen, invincible for a long time when there was plenty of good players about.

Best era was mid 70's to mid 80's with so many top quality players about and lots of real characters, far more entertaining than today's grunt machines.
Deleted User 3289

You cannot be serious Rigger. :D (couldn't help myself)

Pistol Pete was very good particularly at Wimbledon, but the grass is favourable to the big servers isn't it. The matches can be quite boring when you have say Sampras at one end and Goran Ivanisevic at the other. It's like a shootout at the ok corral.

Before my time but I'm sure Borg would have a say in matters when he was at the top of his game.