Sport Newsflash

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 3289

Re: Sport Newsflash

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

johnh wrote:I remember playing 'deck hockey' on the troopship coming back from Singapore. Walking sticks and a rope quoite - lethal. There was a rule, no swing above shoulder height, but the stitches in head wounds and broken fingers told its own story. The Scottish regiment teams were the worst. Black Watch and Royal Scots Fusiliers. I think I still have some bruises and that was in 1957! When I think that, compared to Hurling, it was like comparing netball to rugby. Glad I never took up Hurling.
Sounds like a scene straight from the film Gangs of New York that John. Especially as we all know the Scots are fond of the English. :D
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

Delighted to report that Cork won the Munster Final. Good game, great atmosphere, a massive Cork support and a couple of welcome celebratory pints afterwards. Onwards now to try to win the All Ireland championship. We qualified for the semi final with today's win. :D
Deleted User 3289

Roger Federer wins a record 8th Wimbledon title at 35 years young. Probably his easiest aswell due to his opponent Cillic being injured. Credit to Cillic for giving it a go tho. Great achievement Mr Roger Federer :clap:
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

White Knight wrote:Delighted to report that Cork won the Munster Final. Good game, great atmosphere, a massive Cork support and a couple of welcome celebratory pints afterwards. Onwards now to try to win the All Ireland championship. We qualified for the semi final with today's win. :D
A very simple post...Mad as feck I'd rather take my chances in a joust or a trial by combat.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
White Knight

Post by White Knight »

Davycc wrote:
White Knight wrote:Delighted to report that Cork won the Munster Final. Good game, great atmosphere, a massive Cork support and a couple of welcome celebratory pints afterwards. Onwards now to try to win the All Ireland championship. We qualified for the semi final with today's win. :D
A very simple post...Mad as feck I'd rather take my chances in a joust or a trial by combat.
:D :D
It looks like that, but every player is well trained to mind themselves and there is massive respect between the players to play fair and not to "go hatchet" with the hurley. Otherwise it would be a bloodbath of John proportions! :lol:
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

White Knight wrote:
Davycc wrote:
It looks like that, but every player is well trained to mind themselves and there is massive respect between the players to play fair and not to "go hatchet" with the hurley. Otherwise it would be a bloodbath of John proportions! :lol:
Being a Kilkenny man, I'll add my love of the ancient game of hurling. I remember when Sky announced that it was going to show live games, Niall Quinn said he was looking forward to the media reaction when players actually continue playing after being fouled, rather than roll around on the ground. I love my soccer too, so purposely don't compare the two games, otherwise I'd give up on the modern soccer player entirely.
White Knight, are ye confident down Leeside? Tipp back to their best after hammering the Dubs, but Galway the team to beat for me this year. I think there's a different mentality with this crop of players. Living in Galway for the last 22 years, and I can confirm there's a definite shift in attitude.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
White Knight

Post by White Knight »

kk_white wrote:
White Knight wrote:
Davycc wrote:
Being a Kilkenny man, I'll add my love of the ancient game of hurling. I remember when Sky announced that it was going to show live games, Niall Quinn said he was looking forward to the media reaction when players actually continue playing after being fouled, rather than roll around on the ground. I love my soccer too, so purposely don't compare the two games, otherwise I'd give up on the modern soccer player entirely.
White Knight, are ye confident down Leeside? Tipp back to their best after hammering the Dubs, but Galway the team to beat for me this year. I think there's a different mentality with this crop of players. Living in Galway for the last 22 years, and I can confirm there's a definite shift in attitude.
This year has been a real bonus to Cork KKW. After years in the doldrums and what appeared to be no talent on the horizon, this team has been a revelation. Also the way they are playing is a breath of fresh air. Now, with the Munster title in the bag we are in bonus territory.

We are delighted to avoid both Galway and Tipp in the semi final. Waterford will be tough and it's always difficult to face a team the second time in the one campaign, but they are the lesser of three evils! They will also miss de Burca.

I think Galway have to be favourites. Great skill, strength and impressive showings so far. Still, we are hopeful and the pressure is not on Cork. Watch out for our minor team - there is serious talent in that team. The future is bright, at last.

One other great comment about Hurling - The game where players pretend not to be injured :thumbup:
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

White Knight wrote:....One other great comment about Hurling - The game where players pretend not to be injured :thumbup:
And celebrate being fouled :lol: :lol: :lol:
For the un-initiated reading this, it's something that needs to be seen to understand, but basically the game is played at such high tempo, that if a player is busting his guts trying to defend an attack and he's fouled, there's an outburst of emotion and fist pumping. Funny to watch, but great to get the fans screaming on the terraces (yes, we have terraces at matches with 50-80 thousand in attendance).
Best of luck v Waterford WK, but the Cats are building again, albeit slowly... :thumbup:
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Deleted User 3289

Mr Sprint himself Usain Bolt runs his final 100m race in the World Champs and comes third. He really has done wonders for Athletics in general imo.

Can anyone hand on heart say they were a faster sprinter at 35years of age than they were at 25years of age? (Didn't think so) Anyway Justin Gatlin wins the 100m sprint in London at precisely that age. He must be on some fantastic supplements!
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Read this morning that all Bolt's major races, which people tend to remember him for, amounts to less than 4 minutes :crazy:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.