Sport Newsflash

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Sport Newsflash

Post by Selby White »

Anyone watch the Ronnie O'Sullivan and mark Allen match last night.

Love Ronnie as a player but showed himself up big time throwing his Childish tantrum last night, accusing Allen of trying to put him off.
Was a cracking match both played well until the dummy was spat out, Allen just proved too good on the day.

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Unfortunately, Ronnie has thought of himself as 'bigger than the game' for some time now. I had hoped that his relationship with Ray Reardon would sort this out but it appears not.

I played a lot of snooker and billiards as a young teenager but the didn't play again until I was about 40. Had been moved to Spalding in Lincolnshire with my job and joined a local club who had two snooker tables. Started playing again and entered the club knock-out. Played this guy who, someone told me, was one of the best in the club. For the first four or five shots I left him tight on the baulk cushion. Then I didn't quite make the baulk cushion so he could get his hand on the table. He splatted the pack of reds all over the table, leaving two or three easy reds. I went - red, black, red, blue, red pink, then missed. I had a 25 point start so I was up to 46 and feeling quite chuffed. My opponent then scored 60 odd break. I missed with my next shot and he cleared up. Apparently, the guy regularly got 100 break.
I then drew him in the billiards and someone told me that billiards was what this guy was best at. He was right. I sat and watched the guy give a masterclass.
I once played against Don Revie.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I think I’ve mentioned previously, me and Mrs BB are big snooker fans. We go to the crucible every year, obviously not this, and the players are always milling around outside the auditorium, it’s one of my favourite days of the year.

Met several of the players, Dennis Taylor, Terry Griffiths, John Higgins, the list could go on. Mark Allen always walks around outside with a Man Utd top on, he’s not the slimmest of guys and the size of tops he chooses aren’t the most flattering :lol:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:I think I’ve mentioned previously, me and Mrs BB are big snooker fans. We go to the crucible every year, obviously not this, and the players are always milling around outside the auditorium, it’s one of my favourite days of the year.

Met several of the players, Dennis Taylor, Terry Griffiths, John Higgins, the list could go on. Mark Allen always walks around outside with a Man Utd top on, he’s not the slimmest of guys and the size of tops he chooses aren’t the most flattering :lol:
Think it was a couple of years back when some were suggesting putting Snooker in the Olympics and were asking the players.
Mark Allen replied "no way it wouldnt be right for a body like this to be parading around the Olympic Village" or words to that effect.
Admired his honesty :lol:
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:I think I’ve mentioned previously, me and Mrs BB are big snooker fans. We go to the crucible every year, obviously not this, and the players are always milling around outside the auditorium, it’s one of my favourite days of the year.

Think it was a couple of years back when some were suggesting putting Snooker in the Olympics and were asking the players.
Mark Allen replied "no way it wouldnt be right for a body like this to be parading around the Olympic Village" or words to that effect.
Admired his honesty :lol:
I can certainly concur with his statement.

I watched a few of the replays of that incident last night, and Allen is definitely fiddling with his sponsorship logo a few times, but Ronnie let it get to him. I’m not Ronnie’s biggest fan to be honest, prefer the likes of Kyren Wilson who clearly wears his heart on his sleeve and you can see how much it means to him.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

I do enjoy watching Snooker but other than the odd game with friends not really played it much.
Back as a child it was my Dad's game he was a decent player and took me along a few times. Saw the likes of Ray Reardon and John Spencer in their prime (still have autographs somewhere).
Although I didn't play Snooker I did play Pool for a good few years which is of course much easier and quicker (probably the appeal). Did OK in the local league always won more than I lost each season. Only stopped playing 2 or 3 years back as just got bored with it to be honest.
Now after years playing on a Pool table I'd need binoculars to play Snooker, how the pros control the white just amazes me.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Their ability is phenomenal SW.

I used to play at the Northern Snooker Centre in Leeds, mainly as I worked in Leeds for a lot of years. We used to go on a lunchtime, and the likes of Paul Hunter would be practising. He was having a game with Peter Lines once when we were there, and Lines had potted 15 reds and blacks, so the bulk of the club had stopped to watch. Paul Hunter then started pulling faces from behind the pockets at which Lines was aiming at, Lines was in hysterics and got down to the blue before missing. A 147 had been narrowly missed and they were both rolling around laughing :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Watched Robertson v Selby last night and what a standard it was, after the interval 6 centuries (3 each) in 7 frames and they weren't just making 100's it was in the 130's & 140's for the most part.
Potting average going into the deciding frame was Robertson 96% & Selby 95%.

Looking forward to 2nd semi tonight with Trump v Allen.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote:Watched Robertson v Selby last night and what a standard it was, after the interval 6 centuries (3 each) in 7 frames and they weren't just making 100's it was in the 130's & 140's for the most part.
Potting average going into the deciding frame was Robertson 96% & Selby 95%.

Looking forward to 2nd semi tonight with Trump v Allen.
The standard was utterly ridiculous last night, I can’t see Allen getting past Trump, he’ll leave too many chances for him.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Barlow Boy wrote: I can’t see Allen getting past Trump, he’ll leave too many chances for him.
Currently 5-0 to Allen :lol: :lol: :lol: