Sport Newsflash

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Sport Newsflash

Post by Selby White »

Time wasn't special to be fair, could be wrong but think last time it was a slower time for world championship winner was 1987 and Olympics 1984.
Given track technology has improved significantly I'd imagine a few feel.they could have done better.

Reckon that lad of ours is a real talent and one to be in contention once he sorts his start out.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:Mr Sprint himself Usain Bolt runs his final 100m race in the World Champs and comes third. He really has done wonders for Athletics in general imo.

Can anyone hand on heart say they were a faster sprinter at 35years of age than they were at 25years of age? (Didn't think so) Anyway Justin Gatlin wins the 100m sprint in London at precisely that age. He must be on some fantastic supplements!
Until they ban drug offenders for life athletics will continue to have a big problem. You could get over his first offence (medication taken from childhood with a banned element), but the second offence for testosterone, which changes your physique, in 2006 should have been the end of the road. It's sickening to see a cheat win.

Coleman looks to be the new king in waiting.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Selby White wrote:Reckon that lad of ours is a real talent and one to be in contention once he sorts his start out.
I agree. He's a tall lad and his start, like Bolt's, can look a bit cumbersome but he's quick once he gets going and overtook the Chinese lad. Does he run the 200m as well?
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

Off to the All Ireland hurling semi final tomorrow in Croke Park in Dublin. Cork are playing Waterford with the winners playing Galway in the final. Fingers crossed that Cork win, we'll be up against it! Big crowd and a good day out either way, but it would be nice to win!
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Should be well over 60,000 in attandance. Enjoy it, as a KK man, I'm jealous.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

White Knight wrote:Off to the All Ireland hurling semi final tomorrow in Croke Park in Dublin. Cork are playing Waterford with the winners playing Galway in the final. Fingers crossed that Cork win, we'll be up against it! Big crowd and a good day out either way, but it would be nice to win!
Have a good en again WK. Would love to sample one of them matches if or when i'm over in Ireland in the future. Are the tickets like rocking horse number 2s?
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

No, only for the finals (both football and hurling, both Irish native games), which sell out almost only to affiliated members. Up to that, games vary between 20,000 to 70,000. At the end of the day, its an amateur sport in an island of just 6 million people. Our majorstadium capacities range from 30,000 to 82,000, so almost always room for visitors. Come over for the hurling especially, you would love it.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

Fantastic performance from the British mens 4 x 100 meters relay team in winning the gold medal.

Excellent from the women's team as well in winning the silver.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Wigan White wrote:Fantastic performance from the British mens 4 x 100 meters relay team in winning the gold medal.

Excellent from the women's team as well in winning the silver.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
A great watch Al, except watching Bolt limping away :(
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Thought this merited a post in 'Sport Newsflash'. Went to my first 'live' football match for several years yesterday. Went to see my old club Maidenhead United now playing in the Conference. Playing Hartlepool, we won 2-1, a scoreline which flattered Hartlepool as they scored their goal in the 87th minute from a penalty. Might go again. Have earmarked Tranmere at home in September as my next jaunt. Might also go when Leyton Orient turn up, as long as it doesn't clash with my rugby team playing at home. One advantage is that my next-door neighbour is a season ticket holder at York Road, so I get a lift there and back!
I once played against Don Revie.