Sport Newsflash

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 3289

Sport Newsflash

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Thought I would start this thread to discuss less popular Sports from around the world.

Roger Federer at 35 wins his 18th major at the Australian Open in beating his nemesis Rafael Nadal in 5 sets. It must make it all the more special as he has recently just returned from a knee injury.

The most elegant tennis player I have seen play the game. Well Done Roger! :clap:
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Sport Newsflash

Post by Mr Russell »

It was a great win by Roger, I actually thought if it went 5 sets Nadal would win but he lost too many points when it mattered. The aces stat stood out for me with Roger winning it 20 to 4. It was an enjoyable match to watch even if I'm not a huge tennis fan.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Enjoy the vast majority of sports, so good thread VHTM.

Yes great achievement by Roger, in fact two great champions on show today.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Agreed, excellent thread VHTM.

I see Phil Taylor has announced his retirement at the end of this year/early next. Hope he bags a few more titles to bow out in the correct style.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Agreed about the serve Mr Russell whilst Roger is not the most powerful server on the circuit he is without doubt one of the most accurate. I also thought it was Nadal to win once he had levelled the match. Two giants of their professions who can forget that Wimbledon Final.

I'm with you BB I hope he bags a couple of titles before he bows out, if your not winning the public can quickly forget how good he really was. "Stephan Hendry springs to mind" Phil was a machine and has been a great Ambassador for the game.

Van Gerwen is the new kid in town and I enjoy his maverick style but some of his facial expressions annoy me. :D
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

I'm a big darts fan, so to hear that Phil will be hanging up the arrows is a shame but he is a legend of the sport. Like Barney, Van Gerwan and James Wade of the current players. I try to watch it as often as I can but due to the time differences its usually on at a weird time.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
big jon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by big jon »

I see Phil Taylor has announced his retirement at the end of this year/early next. Hope he bags a few more titles to bow out in the correct style.
I'm in total agreement with you BB, I hope he does too. Unfortunately there are better players now on the circuit and I'd be very surprised if he won another major title. Darts legend.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

big jon wrote:
I'm in total agreement with you BB, I hope he does too. Unfortunately there are better players now on the circuit and I'd be very surprised if he won another major title. Darts legend.
Obviously MVG is a class above at the moment Jon, so I'm with you that he will have to go some to beat him but here's hoping.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Some little tit bits of sport from Australia -

Aussie Rules is one of the major sports here in Oz and this week saw the first round of the Women's league, they have an 8 team competition for this season. In the first round there were wins for Carlton, Adelaide, Western Bulldogs and Brisbane Lions. They will play 7 rounds and the top 2 will play in the ground final.

The Women's A League semis were sorted out this weekend with Melbourne City beating Canberra 1-0 AET and Perth beating Sydney 5-1, next weekend the grand final will be played in Perth as they finished higher in the table.

In New Zealand (Auckland) they played the rugby league 9's (they have played it since 2014) which goes over 2 days, this years winner was the Sydney Roosters who beat Penrith in the grand final 10-8.

In Sydney at the weekend the Rugby 7's were played with South Africa winning the tournament over England 29-14, in the 3rd/4th place game it was traditional foes New Zealand beating Australia also by 29-14.
---------------------------------------

Sadly in other news my New England Patriots are getting thumped 14-0 at the moment!
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

What a great comeback by the New England Patriots, after being 28-3 down they come back in overtime (first time ever) to win 34-28 :clap: