Sport Newsflash

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 3289

Re: Sport Newsflash

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Selby White wrote:Anyone going to the Tour de Yorkshire over the weekend ?
We are planning to do the first stage Friday, be at the start in Bridlington and finish in Scarborough.
Did you end up going Selby? A Belgian bloke won it I believe.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

I don't watch that much Rugby League these days, but what a performance by Castleford Tigers yesterday thrashing St Helens 53-10 in the challenge cup. It really was men against boys at times with Cas scoring with every attack they had at one point. I hope they go on and win it.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I lived for 30 plus years in Cas, and was a regular down there.

I went 11 seasons without missing a game, home and away (including two trips to Paris) until I fractured my elbow, which got infected resulting in me going in hospital attached to an IV drip, which meant I missed a game against St Helens (ironically) at Anfield. I've even got a Cas Tigers tattoo :oops:.

I've been a couple of times this season, and they have such an all round package this year, devastating on the attack and so disciplined in defence. I just hope they don't tire in the second half of the season having put so much in so far.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

Barlow Boy wrote:I lived for 30 plus years in Cas, and was a regular down there.

I went 11 seasons without missing a game, home and away (including two trips to Paris) until I fractured my elbow, which got infected resulting in me going in hospital attached to an IV drip, which meant I missed a game against St Helens (ironically) at Anfield. I've even got a Cas Tigers tattoo :oops:.

I've been a couple of times this season, and they have such an all round package this year, devastating on the attack and so disciplined in defence. I just hope they don't tire in the second half of the season having put so much in so far.
Knew you were a RL fan BB, and a Cas fan, but didn't realise, you were such a big fan. Castleford are having an excellent season so far. I was the same with the Wigan Warriors, not missing a game from about 1982 to about 1996. Only game I recall missing was the 1989 Challenge Cup final because I was in Canada. Bad timing really because that's when we beat St Helens 27-0.

Must admit, one of my favourite non Wigan players played for Castleford. John Joyner, what a class act he was.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

When I played for Ossett Town in the 1960's we had a left winger who played Rugby League for Featherstone. Colin Jordan his name was (from memory). He was obviously one of the smaller guys in Rugby League but looked far too big for a left winger in the Yorkshire League! Good player too, and quick. At the time, someone told me he had played at Wembley in the Rugby League cup final, but I don't know if that's true.
When I was 16 in Leeds, I was a member of a boys' club who had a football team. A couple of the lads who played were on the books of Leeds Rugby League. One I remember was Maurice Bamford who was about 17 but looked about 30. Huge, solid lad. He went on to manage the Great Britain side at Rugby League.
I once played against Don Revie.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Wigan White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:I lived for 30 plus years in Cas, and was a regular down there.

Knew you were a RL fan BB, and a Cas fan, but didn't realise, you were such a big fan. Castleford are having an excellent season so far. I was the same with the Wigan Warriors, not missing a game from about 1982 to about 1996. Only game I recall missing was the 1989 Challenge Cup final because I was in Canada. Bad timing really because that's when we beat St Helens 27-0.

Must admit, one of my favourite non Wigan players played for Castleford. John Joyner, what a class act he was.
Yeah, Joyner will always be a Cas legend. He, always, makes the best Cas team of all time when it comes up every now and again.

I'm not into this one horse race business with Cas, I can see yourselves, Hull or even Leeds still getting close.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

As kids, we were sat in front of Maurice Bamford whilst he was doing a radio co-commentary Sir John.

He asked all our names, wrote them down and when there was a break in play, he read our names out over the radio. We were all made up, and didn't stop talking about it for weeks :D.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Total commitment = Pain ;)

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

SW, is that you in action then? :o ;) :D
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

PockWhite wrote:SW, is that you in action then? :o ;) :D
I must be super fit, I end up like this every Friday and Saturday night ;)

Well done SW it's worth it. Isn't it amazing how we will torture ourselves playing something we love (squash for me) but as me to go running or swimming and I couldn't face it
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders