Sport Newsflash

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 3289

Re: Sport Newsflash

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

So near and yet so far... TBF i didn't watch the game but the amount of customers that came in the shop spitting feathers made it obvious that we played crap. We obviously peaked against New Zealand and then thought it was job done? Anyway good effort to get there and all that.....
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:So near and yet so far... TBF i didn't watch the game but the amount of customers that came in the shop spitting feathers made it obvious that we played crap. We obviously peaked against New Zealand and then thought it was job done? Anyway good effort to get there and all that.....
No, we didn't play crap. SA played a defensive game reliant on the set plays of the scrum and the line-out which they were superb at. Their dominance in the scrum got them penalties which got them points. Ahead of the game I reckoned they'd win 21-9, all penalties. They got a couple of breakaway tries late on which, despite them being good tries, flattered them in my opinion.

Anyway, most of the England team will be available in 4 years time. :)
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Sniffer wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:So near and yet so far... TBF i didn't watch the game but the amount of customers that came in the shop spitting feathers made it obvious that we played crap. We obviously peaked against New Zealand and then thought it was job done? Anyway good effort to get there and all that.....
No, we didn't play crap. SA played a defensive game reliant on the set plays of the scrum and the line-out which they were superb at. Their dominance in the scrum got them penalties which got them points. Ahead of the game I reckoned they'd win 21-9, all penalties. They got a couple of breakaway tries late on which, despite them being good tries, flattered them in my opinion.

Anyway, most of the England team will be available in 4 years time. :)
What was England tactics? 32-12 is hardly close. As i say i didn't watch it and tbf its not really a sport i take great interest in. The comment i heard most from customers was England just didn't turn up? Which is a bit odd considering they were on the same pitch.
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

England looked the more nervous of the two teams. The favourites tag probably didn’t help. They made far too many mistakes, usually due to intense SA pressure, and this increased the anxiety further.

SA got to play their game and they are a powerful outfit. Because of this it was often overlooked that they had some of the best wingers in the tournament and could hurt any team once they wore you down.

I think they would have beaten the All Blacks today, if England had fallen at the semifinal.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

In the first 20 minutes, England looked as though they were trying to play a different tactical plan. Unfortunately, the players didn't seem to know what it was. Poor kicking, poor passing (particularly), too many penalties conceded, too many knock-on's. When the opposition are dominant in the scrum, you make sure you don't gift them scrums (and penalties) by knocking-on. I thought one of the SA tries was a clear forward pass but it wouldn't have made a difference. SA were worthy winners.
I once played against Don Revie.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Neil Robertson wins the Champions Of Champions in, for me, the best game I’ve have seen.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I know snooker isn’t for everyone, but just watched the best frame of snooker ever at the World Championship’s in the semi final.

What a game that was.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:I know snooker isn’t for everyone, but just watched the best frame of snooker ever at the World Championship’s in the semi final.

What a game that was.
Watched it, unbelievable drama :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:I know snooker isn’t for everyone, but just watched the best frame of snooker ever at the World Championship’s in the semi final.

What a game that was.
Watched it, unbelievable drama :thumbup:
Not sure if you watched the interviews, both players completely gone.

I thought the Higgins v Gilbert game was the best I’d ever see, but that this was just ridiculous.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Speaking of snooker I've been watching a full replay of the 1985 final between Steve Davis and Dennis Taylor, the black ball final. All 14hrs of it.

Back in the day used to watch the snooker and wrestling with my Grandmother, great times!!!!
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.