Sport Newsflash

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Sport Newsflash

Post by Barlow Boy »

Michael Holt takes Trump to the final frame, but loses 4-3. I’ve always liked Holt, but he really is forever the bridesmaid, never the bride in the big competitions.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:Michael Holt takes Trump to the final frame, but loses 4-3. I’ve always liked Holt, but he really is forever the bridesmaid, never the bride in the big competitions.
Missed that match sounds a good one.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Selby White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:Michael Holt takes Trump to the final frame, but loses 4-3. I’ve always liked Holt, but he really is forever the bridesmaid, never the bride in the big competitions.
Missed that match sounds a good one.
On another note BB I see this event is the top 32 on the one year ranking list (just on this year's results).
Great format in my opinion as it gets together those with some recent form rather than what they did 2 or 3 years back.
Opportunity for all is good.

On that same note think it won't be too many years before we get a Chinese World Champion, 8 in this competition so that's 25% of the top 32 on form.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

What a game this afternoon, Zhao Xintong beats John Higgins 4-3, had several chances to win the game earlier but Higgins forces a final frame.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:What a game this afternoon, Zhao Xintong beats John Higgins 4-3, had several chances to win the game earlier but Higgins forces a final frame.
Yes watched that game think Zhao is going to prove a real talent over the next few years, potential World Champ of the future.

Bit disappointed with Kyren Wilson, thought he bottled it against a very average Ronnie O'Sullivan after looking untouchable in the first couple of frames prior to the wheels coming off. O'Sullivan will have to up his game in the Semi against Judd Trump.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Just seen that Jacques Secretin has died last month.

I know not many on here will have heard of him but he was a French table tennis player and one of Europe's finest in the 70's when I first started playing.
Saw him play in the !977 world championships in Birmingham where he won a Gold Medal in the mixed doubles (the Chinese used to dominate back then so bit of a shock)

He's better known for "Le Show" a Table tennis exhibition show he did touring the world with his friend Vincent Purkart from 1983 to 2007.
He was also known for visiting prisons and clubs to learn people to play.

Here is a glimpse of "Le Show"

RIP Jacques
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Yes I remember those guys, so funny! Sad RIP

Many moons ago my best mate in the UK (still is) and me used to go to the leisure centre in Keighley and play for a few hours each Sunday. That would be over 30 yrs ago now. Good times!!
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

For the snooker fans amongst us, the Masters starts today.

Trump and Lisowski have had to withdraw due to Covid.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Snooker Masters start today.

Judd Trump & Jack Lisowski out already as both tested positive for covid.
I may be wrong but recall they are practice partners.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Beat me to it BB :thumbup: