Feed the birds

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Feed the birds

Post by Davycc »

I feed Max a mix of dry food and meat. He scoffs the meat and picks at the dry food leaving some in the bowl. lately a Magpie has started nicking the dry food as Max sits and watches from less than 2 feet away. Today the Magpie actually lifted a bit of the dry food out of the bowl as Max was still eating. I have the Rigger equivalent of a dog :D

I must try to get a photo.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

We had a bird on the feeders the other day and after a couple of hours of research we both agreed it was a Chiffchaff.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

ChilwellWhite wrote:We had a bird on the feeders the other day and after a couple of hours of research we both agreed it was a Chiffchaff.
Struggling today myself. Whilst out walking the dog around local farmland. 2 birds about duck size about 100m away but angled towards me in flight, i could clearly see a distinct white v shaped stripe on the wings of a black body. Anyway i can't find the bird on the identifier. The closest i get is a Shelduck or a eider duck but i'm not convinced because of where i was.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

We have a bird bath in the garden an wish I had my camera yesterday as a wood pigeon had plonked himself in the middle bathing while a bemused looking Jackdaw was sat on the edge wanting to get a drink but couldn't.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Its one thing Mrs SW buying expensive seed for the birds but sending me out to dig worms for them is another :D

NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Just had a lovely 15 minutes sat in the kitchen with a mug of coffee as 6 Goldfinch were feeding on the garden feeders. Lovely :D
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Another day another bird we’ve just has a flock of around 20 swifts hawking over our house, gosh they were aptly named.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Another day another bird we’ve just has a flock of around 20 swifts hawking over our house, gosh they were aptly named.
We've been getting a flock of them whizzing around the field behind us for a few days now. Apparently they are feasting on midges.

Been superb this year, we are getting more birds than ever.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:Another day another bird we’ve just has a flock of around 20 swifts hawking over our house, gosh they were aptly named.
We've been getting a flock of them whizzing around the field behind us for a few days now. Apparently they are feasting on midges.

Been superb this year, we are getting more birds than ever.
There’s loads in a field near us where I go dog walking, they get a bit too close for my liking sometimes :D
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

I do not have any bird feeders, but my wife has several hanging plants on our patio which are visited regularly by hummingbirds.
Its amazing that these tiny creatures can travel thousands of miles every year through storms and whatever else, predators etc.
We watch them through a glass sliding door, hovering next to a plant, then going in for a second and sucking the nectar from the flower.
Reading about them I was surprised how territorial these tiny bird are, and will violently repel other hummingbirds.
Some friends of mine have special feeders for hummingbirds, in which they put a sugar/water syrup or some sort of sweet liquid.

Yesterday, and quite often in summertime, I saw a crow flying high being attacked by a small bird. I am told that the small bird is a mockingbird, attacking the crow for trying to steal it's eggs from the nest.
The reason that the large crow is trying to escape the small mockingbird is that the mockingbird is trying to pluck a certain feather out of the crow, if it is successful the crow cannot fly, it's dead.