Feed the birds

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: Feed the birds

Post by White Knight »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Sounds like a Good Samaritan at work there SW. Our feeders are once again devoid of any action, like that for a few weeks now but there's no action on any of the neighbours feeders either.
It does happen that the birds go missing for a time from the feeders NW. There can be a number of reasons for this. The weather can deter them if it’s wet, dull and miserable. The presence of predators like hawks, Magpies or cats can scare them off.

If the weather is fine they may just have other options. With no disrespect to the offering at your table NW, they may just want a change if it is now available.

Finally, at this time of year they may be thinking of finding nest locations and they may be off sorting that out. They usually will not nest too close to any feeder as there is too much activity and competition for food near them.

Rest assured that they will be back. They know your there and that you’ve looked after them when it mattered. You’ll be paid back in bird song through the spring.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Our youngest who lives in Northampton but near a park has sent me photos over the last few days showing Hawfinch, Bullfinch & Brambling coming to her feeders.
Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Four parakeets in our garden today. My flu symptoms and sore hand prevented me getting to my AK47 in time! :D
I once played against Don Revie.
BrighouseWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by BrighouseWhite »

We have a woodpecker that visits the trees at the bottom of the garden. Haven't managed to see him yet, but hear him regularly when I get home from work in the mornings.
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

BrighouseWhite wrote:We have a woodpecker that visits the trees at the bottom of the garden. Haven't managed to see him yet, but hear him regularly when I get home from work in the mornings.
One of the woodpeckers that visits us flew into a neighbours window the other day, sadly he didn’t survive.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

A large mixed flock of Fieldfares & Redwings in the trees at the bottom of our garden this morning. The Fieldfares especially are beautiful birds.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

We have some Long Tailed Tits in the garden, who have taken to flying up to the window and patio doors, and sort of tapping on it before flying off. It’s driving the dog crackers, he keeps thinking it’s the knocker on the door.

Having googled it, apparently, it’s not that uncommon but it’s the first time we’ve seen them do it.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Item in today's Telegraph.

'ARE BIRD FEEDERS DOING MORE HARM THAN GOOD?'
Britain's obsession with feeding the birds could be spreading avian disease...............experts say bird feeders are spreading illness because they bring species together that would never normally come into contact.
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Just had a Stock Dove in our garden, made my day. :D
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Just sat watching a pair of Crows building a nest in the tree just over my back fence.

Amazing to watch, great skill involved in my opinion.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.