Feed the birds

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: Feed the birds

Post by LAsouthcoast »

It said on the clip that they were hoping that they would breed and settle here, not good news for Bees.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Saw the news about the bee eaters (they eat wasps and dragonflies as well!) in a quarry near East Leake. What spectacular colours. They are normally resident in much warmer climes so what they made of Nottingham's rain and gloom today, goodness knows....
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

mapperleywhite wrote:Saw the news about the bee eaters (they eat wasps and dragonflies as well!) in a quarry near East Leake. What spectacular colours. They are normally resident in much warmer climes so what they made of Nottingham's rain and gloom today, goodness knows....
We're going this week to see them, stunning birds.
Winner of the Europa League
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I literally cannot kill anything, flies, wasps, bees anything.

I dug an old bag out the other day, and in it was a spider. I tried to tip it out onto the carpet, so I could catch it in a glass and release it, but it was running around inside the bag. I decided the best course of action was to take the bag outside, and tip it inside out so the spider could run off into the garden.

Out I went, and proceeded to turn the bag inside out, but the spider would still not come out. This went on for about 5 minutes. Eventually, I managed to get the bag inside out, at which point the spider dropped on the floor.

Literally, within a split second, the robin I have been coaxing came down and scooped it up for lunch :cry:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Barlow Boy wrote:I literally cannot kill anything, flies, wasps, bees anything.

I dug an old bag out the other day, and in it was a spider. I tried to tip it out onto the carpet, so I could catch it in a glass and release it, but it was running around inside the bag. I decided the best course of action was to take the bag outside, and tip it inside out so the spider could run off into the garden.

Out I went, and proceeded to turn the bag inside out, but the spider would still not come out. This went on for about 5 minutes. Eventually, I managed to get the bag inside out, at which point the spider dropped on the floor.

Literally, within a split second, the robin I have been coaxing came down and scooped it up for lunch :cry:
It was a planned sacrifice... :P

It reminds me of a few years back I caught a fly in the house in my hand, so I opened the back door and threw it to the ground by the shed. No sooner had it hit the floor than a spider came out from under the shed wrapped it up and pulled it back under. It played on my conscience for ages "I have changed the laws of nature by throwing that fly to it's untimely death" that sort of thing. :D

Why were on the subject... does anyone get deep emotional empathetic turmoil when they see road-kill. I like to think it puts me an the right side of the divide? I'm not sure where it comes from though.
White Knight

Post by White Knight »

:lol: :lol:

I'm much the same. I don't allow anyone to kill a spider in the house and it has gradually extended to moths, butterflies etc now as well. I will kill a bluebottle or most flies.

I've often thrown them out on a freezing night and thought it probably is the same thing as killing them myself, but I tell myself there is a chance of escape and at least I don't have blood on my hands.
White Knight

Post by White Knight »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:

It was a planned sacrifice... :P

It reminds me of a few years back I caught a fly in the house in my hand, so I opened the back door and threw it to the ground by the shed. No sooner had it hit the floor than a spider came out from under the shed wrapped it up and pulled it back under. It played on my conscience for ages "I have changed the laws of nature by throwing that fly to it's untimely death" that sort of thing. :D

Why were on the subject... does anyone get deep emotional empathetic turmoil when they see road-kill. I like to think it puts me an the right side of the divide? I'm not sure where it comes from though.
Only yesterday I was driving through a park in our local town when a blackbird flew low across the road up ahead of me. Unfortunately, there was a car coming in the opposite direction so the bird did a spectacular about turn in mid air but by then I was upon it and hit it with the front of the car. There was nothing I could do as it happened in a flash. I heard the thud and could see in my rear view mirror that I had killed it. I felt really bad. As I mentioned earlier, I don't kill most creatures in the house, but I really hate killing a bird like that.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

I just worked it out... Were all practising Hare Krishnas we just don't know it yet! :D
White Knight

Post by White Knight »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:I just worked it out... Were all practising Hare Krishnas we just don't know it yet! :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't think I'd qualify. I've often felt like killing someone over/during matches!
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Not bird related but.....

I was driving to the cemetery this afternoon, turned round the corner and there was a cat literally sat in the middle of the road. I obviously slowed down, expecting it to move, but it literally just sat there. I beeped my horn, but it didn't move.

I got out of the car and tried to "shoo" it to the side, but it was having none of it. Eventually, I picked it up and placed it back in a garden. It was only then I realised a van full of burly builders were coming in the opposite direction, and I had stopped in the middle of the road.

To make matters worse, I had to sort of reverse as there was not enough room for us both to pass each other. As they passed, I put my head down expecting dogs abuse, at which point the driver wound his window down and shouted nice one mate, as his mates applauded.

Must admit, I gave myself a bit of a pat on the back and it got me several brownie points with the Mrs.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.