Feed the birds

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Feed the birds

Post by mapperleywhite »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:Mrs B is crackers on this subject, spending fortunes every month.

A quick tally tells me we have something in the region of 18 bird feeders, spread throughout the garden.

"18" and there is me thinking my significant other is costing us a fortune feeding them.

Seriously great to watch them, usually sunflower hearts, fat balls & worms are what she feeds them.
Yes, she is a bit mad on them. However, as she always says, you have your Football and I have my birds, can't really argue with that.

We haven't had mice/rats (that I know of anyway), but we do get a couple of cats coming in every now and again taking the odd bird.
NW, you'll know where Mapperley Park is, but for others it's about a mile from the centre of the city. Yet we get a remarkable variety of birds in the garden...barn owls, woodpecker, jay, all the finches etc. We are fortunate that where we live has a sizeable garden with mature trees either side. I think this is important in attracting the birds as they like to weigh up the situation before coming in for any food that is out on the grass.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Niger seeds are good for attracting Finches, also bird feeders or tables seem to do better by being placed under the cover of tree branches rather than being out in the open, just our experiences over the years.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Living on the coast does have its disadvantages "other than the weather here in Blackpool" the birds are scarce due to the gulls. I used to collect eggs when I was a kid back in Yorkshire, "I know I feel bad" so love my birds. The most exotic bird I've seen on my back garden feeder is a Goldfinch, the occasional Wren, we used to get a lovely Song Thrush "but they are in serious decline" but no more.

A few years ago, there was a pile of feathers on our back lawn, i thought bloody cats. Anyway me and the mrs were sat out in the back garden one day when along comes a Sparrow Hawk with a Dove in it's talons and then the it proceeds to pull the poor thing apart on our back lawn with us only about 10ft away. I felt privileged, then it flew of with the rest of the carcass in tow.

Since the neighbours cut down their tall trees to allow more sun we don't see the Hawk at all these days. Unfortunately the pair of Doves that used to visit also disappeared.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:Mrs B is crackers on this subject, spending fortunes every month.

A quick tally tells me we have something in the region of 18 bird feeders, spread throughout the garden.

"18" and there is me thinking my significant other is costing us a fortune feeding them.

Seriously great to watch them, usually sunflower hearts, fat balls & worms are what she feeds them.
Yes, she is a bit mad on them. However, as she always says, you have your Football and I have my birds, can't really argue with that.

We haven't had mice/rats (that I know of anyway), but we do get a couple of cats coming in every now and again taking the odd bird.
We got a mouse in the shed a bit back because of the bird seed.
Sounds like a great set up you've got BB, if you see a strange women peeping over the fence it'll be my better half. :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Believe it, or not SW, but Mrs B's mates come over for a wine filled night every now and again. Principally to see her, of course, but also to see the Badgers feeding on the patio at night and hear the birds morning chorus the next day.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Barlow Boy wrote:for a wine filled night every now and again.
Music to my ears :lol:
Winner of the Europa League
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's on this Friday if you fancy it NW, I'm being kicked out with the lads to the Super League in Cas.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Barlow Boy wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's on this Friday if you fancy it NW, I'm being kicked out with the lads to the Super League in Cas.
Sadly I'm washing my hair on Friday :roll:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Just had a pleasant half hour sat in the kitchen with a cuppa watching the bird feeders. Robin, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Goldfinch, Blackbirds & Sparrow all coming in for a spot of lunch :D
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Mr & Mrs Robin both on the fat ball feeder this morning.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.