Feed the birds

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Feed the birds

Post by Davycc »

Another Northern Soul wrote:Got a few parrots in Woodlesford where my g/f's parents live, quite a surprise. Her sister and brother-in-law live near Aberford and have a kingfisher close by as well as, though I've not seen proof, a buzzard. No photos, sorry folks.
Was going to say must be new released birds but I remember reading something about a small colony of ringnecks in Castleford so if thats not too far it could be from that group.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I once read that at Esher Rugby Club they have as many as 2500+ going to roost. Rose-ringed Parakeets in my opinion will get pest status in years to come. Red Kites achieved that in the reign of George 3rd, it's a recent thing that they've been reintroduced in The Black Isle, in Scotland & Christmas Common in Oxfordshire originally & there numbers are thriving, other areas are now joining the scheme.
Winner of the Europa League
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

NottinghamWhite wrote:I once read that at Esher Rugby Club they have as many as 2500+ going to roost. Rose-ringed Parakeets in my opinion will get pest status in years to come. Red Kites achieved that in the reign of George 3rd, it's a recent thing that they've been reintroduced in The Black Isle, in Scotland & Christmas Common in Oxfordshire originally & there numbers are thriving, other areas are now joining the scheme.
Yeah Ringnecks have already been added to the list of animals where no licence is required to cull lovely birds, sad really.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Also in the same report the first pair of Collared Doves bred in 1957/58 & again they're everywhere. Though not a pest, we regularly get a pair in our garden & love them coming to the feeders.
Winner of the Europa League
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Davycc wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:Got a few parrots in Woodlesford where my g/f's parents live, quite a surprise. Her sister and brother-in-law live near Aberford and have a kingfisher close by as well as, though I've not seen proof, a buzzard. No photos, sorry folks.
Was going to say must be new released birds but I remember reading something about a small colony of ringnecks in Castleford so if thats not too far it could be from that group.
They've been around over a year now but I only saw them earlier this year. Originally it was thought there were just two but there have been around 6 of them, all similar sized, bright green and a distinctive squawk :D

I've a friend in Upminster, Essex too - parrots are a common sight in the 'wild', sort of numbed my giddiness when she told me :P I still get a bit excited whenever I see a robin :P
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

NottinghamWhite wrote:I once read that at Esher Rugby Club they have as many as 2500+ going to roost. Rose-ringed Parakeets in my opinion will get pest status in years to come. Red Kites achieved that in the reign of George 3rd, it's a recent thing that they've been reintroduced in The Black Isle, in Scotland & Christmas Common in Oxfordshire originally & there numbers are thriving, other areas are now joining the scheme.
Red Kites have been around Buckinghamshire/Berkshire for about 20 years now. I often count about 20 in the skies above our house.
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Just had what I can only describe as a very large sparrowhawk in our garden.
If it was one it's largest I've seen. Otherwise some other bird of prey.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote:Just had what I can only describe as a very large sparrowhawk in our garden.
We get one quite regularly SW, I doubt it, but it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that it’s the same one.

The first sign he is around is the disappearance of all the other little birds who fly for cover. He comes and sits on the various bird feeders we have, he is huge.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Selby White wrote:Just had what I can only describe as a very large sparrowhawk in our garden.
We get one quite regularly SW, I doubt it, but it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that it’s the same one.

The first sign he is around is the disappearance of all the other little birds who fly for cover. He comes and sits on the various bird feeders we have, he is huge.
We were over your way yesterday had an hour or so strolling around the nature reserve along with picnic lunch. The Sparrowhawk probably followed us back. :D
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
arfa
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by arfa »

Pic of a Chiffchaff which was in the garden last July.

This is a Goldcrest which was in the garden last November.