Feed the birds

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Feed the birds

Post by Barlow Boy »

As mentioned previously, we got loads of birds in the garden, no doubt attracted by the banquet Mrs B puts out.

Anyway, there is one very, very confident robin who is getting tamer by the day. I'm pretty sure, with some coaxing, that he will take some food out of my hand (I've done it previously with another small bird that was stunned when he went steaming into our patio window).

My question is, for the more knowledgeable bird lovers, should I really be encouraging this sort of behaviour with what is essentially a wild bird ?
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

Barlow Boy wrote:As mentioned previously, we got loads of birds in the garden, no doubt attracted by the banquet Mrs B puts out.

Anyway, there is one very, very confident robin who is getting tamer by the day. I'm pretty sure, with some coaxing, that he will take some food out of my hand (I've done it previously with another small bird that was stunned when he went steaming into our patio window).

My question is, for the more knowledgeable bird lovers, should I really be encouraging this sort of behaviour with what is essentially a wild bird ?
I've had some good times in the past with wild birds.... :crazy:
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Barlow Boy wrote:As mentioned previously, we got loads of birds in the garden, no doubt attracted by the banquet Mrs B puts out.

I cant see a problem BB.. As long as you don't invite the in for a brew. :thumbup: When I've eaten outside at a pub or on a picnic site I've had wild birds landing on the table for a few nibbles. *unfortunately not the ones Dlw talks about" :D

If you had a cat on the other hand I would advise against it.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Davycc wrote:As some of you may know birds of the feathered kinds are pretty close to my heart. Unfortunately I am restricted in what wild birds actually visits my garden (council estate) because of Starlings and Crows as they tend to bully other birds away.

I do get a few Blue Tits and the obligatory Sparrows but my favourite as I've mentioned before is a Robin who is starting to tame up nicely. Always find crumbs of cheese are Robins favourite.

Remember that some birds will visit if foods available on the ground rather than a table. I had a feeder once in a previous garden that got very little visits until I moved it a few feet to one side, turned out that the neighbours dog would run up past a small gap in the hedge between our gardens near were the feeder was. I moved it to the side but no further away and bingo it was always filled with different birds.
Loads of people tame up Robins BB don't worry about it just enjoy.

All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

My grandson taking his ornithology seriously :D

Winner of the Europa League
One Eyed Thompson
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by One Eyed Thompson »

NottinghamWhite wrote:My grandson taking his ornithology seriously :D

Another 10 years or so he'll be using those to look at your neighbours teenage daughter NW :wink:
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Talking of Robin Redbreasts. Looks mighty fine at the tender age of 63.

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/christi ... 23250.html

:P
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Been up at Fairburn Ings this morning, saw numerous breeds including a pair of bull finches.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Had a couple of pair of blackbirds feed in the garden. Sadly this morning some type of Hawk decided to take one. It's partner did a lot of chirping but to no avail I'm afraid.
Cruel thing nature at times.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Selby White wrote:Had a couple of pair of blackbirds feed in the garden. Sadly this morning some type of Hawk decided to take one. It's partner did a lot of chirping but to no avail I'm afraid.
Cruel thing nature at times.
Sad to hear, especially a blackbird when they're pairing up for mating season. We sometimes get a sparrow hawk hacking a pigeon to pieces on the lawn.

I use this link to identify birds:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildli ... dentifier/
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....