Hobbies

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Hobbies

Post by mapperleywhite »

rigger wrote:And I say that as a non-Hendrix fan.
Never got what all the fuss was about with him I'm afraid.
Heard a story quite recently that Hendrix and Clapton were both on stage together at some club in London when Jimi was just starting out. Whoever was relating the story noticed that at one point Eric had disappeared and eventually found him madly pacing his dressing room floor. Upon enquiring what the problem was the reply came 'nobody told me he was THAT good!'

As someone who tries to play the guitar and having friends that are quite gifted on the instrument, my take is that Hendrix was a total one off, technically as good it gets with a highly original style. 'All along the watchtower' still sounds as bright and edgy today as it did back in the 60's and his set at Woodstock a showcase for his array of guitar talents.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I'm not doubting his virtuosity as a player - it's just the music itself doesn't do it for me.

The only track I really like is Voodoo Chile and only then when it's played by Stevie Ray Vaughan !
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

mapperleywhite wrote:
Heard a story quite recently that Hendrix and Clapton were both on stage together at some club in London when Jimi was just starting out. Whoever was relating the story noticed that at one point Eric had disappeared and eventually found him madly pacing his dressing room floor. Upon enquiring what the problem was the reply came 'nobody told me he was THAT good!'.
MW, Think that story is a bit of a myth as Hendrix would have been 3 years older than Clapton.
The similar story is that it was Vaughan not Hendrix that Clapton referred to.
The incident happend at Carnegie hall when they had a jam together, Clapton said it was because he had his baby and he didn't (guitar).
Think it's told on one of SRV's albums.
Shortly after Vaughan was snapped up by Bowie to play guitar on the hit "Let's Dance".
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

mapperleywhite wrote:
rigger wrote:And I say that as a non-Hendrix fan.
Never got what all the fuss was about with him I'm afraid.
Heard a story quite recently that Hendrix and Clapton were both on stage together at some club in London when Jimi was just starting out. Whoever was relating the story noticed that at one point Eric had disappeared and eventually found him madly pacing his dressing room floor. Upon enquiring what the problem was the reply came 'nobody told me he was THAT good!'

As someone who tries to play the guitar and having friends that are quite gifted on the instrument, my take is that Hendrix was a total one off, technically as good it gets with a highly original style. 'All along the watchtower' still sounds as bright and edgy today as it did back in the 60's and his set at Woodstock a showcase for his array of guitar talents.
Must admit to hearing this story myself MW. Lets be honest it does make sense, if you were a guitarist and didn't know much about Hendrix, he would be the last person you would want to follow on stage. I think it was Brian May who said Jimi was from a different planet (half the time he was, he was on Acid).

Hendrix really was electric in my view. We will never see another one like him, because society won't allow it these days.

From the Guardian
There was also curiosity from the emergent powerhouse of British blues: Cream and Eric Clapton. There was a particular night when Cream allowed Jimi to join them for a jam at the Regent Street Polytechnic in central London. Meeting Clapton had been among the enticements Chandler had used to lure Hendrix to Britain: “Hendrix blew into a version of [Howlin’ Wolf’s] ‘Killing Floor’,” recalls Garland, “and plays it at breakneck tempo, just like that – it stopped you in your tracks.” Altham recalls Chandler going backstage after Clapton left in the middle of the song “which he had yet to master himself”; Clapton was furiously puffing on a cigarette and telling Chas: “You never told me he was that fucking good.”
Easy to see where the story came from. Sounds like Clapton was in awe.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Having introduced some of my main hands index finger to the wonderful world of lawnmowers I decided to try and see if I can still wield a brush. Its taking me a lot longer but not too bad ( in the grand scheme of things)

Now that I've messed it up a bit any guesses to where it is?

All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

It's beautiful!
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Looks like Bolton Abbey, though if you did it 'live' you would need a big telescope.
I once played against Don Revie.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

johnh wrote:Looks like Bolton Abbey, though if you did it 'live' you would need a big telescope.
Bolton Abbey it is John, sadly just from a photograph.
dlw10 wrote:It's beautiful!
Thanks DLW if anyone know of anyone who would like it please let me know (free to a good home lol ) I'll post it off free.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Davy, is it bloodstained? :D
I once played against Don Revie.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator