British Films

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

Re: British Films

Post by Deleted User 728 »

johnh wrote:I remember when I was about 10 or 11 years old. I was mad on war films and someone told me there was a war film on at the local cinema. I pestered my Mother until she relented and let me go to the 'first house', which was early evening. You weren't allowed in the cinema unless accompanied by an adult, so I stood about 50 yards from the cinema (The Regal, Broadway, Liverpool) and asked people 'can you take one in please'. Eventually, I got in and was most disappointed. Indirectly, it was a war film in that it took place during the war but there was no fighting and a lot of talking. The film is now a classic but at the time, I was bored out of my brain. The film: Casablanca. :D

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: SACRILEGE !! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Deleted User 728

Having had time to think about this some more, I'd like to suggest the following be included to our list :

Dead Man's Shoes
Brief Encounter
Get Carter
This Is England
The Ipcress File
The King's Speech
Shallow Grave
The Third Man
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

A Man for all Seasons.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

The film London to Brighton, hard hitting film worth a watch.
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

rigger wrote:Having had time to think about this some more, I'd like to suggest the following be included to our list :

Dead Man's Shoes
Brief Encounter
Get Carter
This Is England
The Ipcress File
The King's Speech
Shallow Grave
The Third Man

The King's Speech - Yes definitely! I forgot about that one. Thought about Brief Encounter also.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

If..
Withnail and I
This is England
Bronson (as the obligatory prison film - could have been many)
Kingsman: Secret Service
The Four Feathers (the first one)
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Frankie wrote:
rigger wrote:Having had time to think about this some more, I'd like to suggest the following be included to our list :

Dead Man's Shoes
Brief Encounter
Get Carter
This Is England
The Ipcress File
The King's Speech
Shallow Grave
The Third Man

The King's Speech - Yes definitely! I forgot about that one. Thought about Brief Encounter also.
And if I'm correct the Speech part was filmed in the directors box at Elland Road (substituting for Wembley).
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by cheffy007 »

I remember a great film called P'tang Yang Kipperbang, all about a young lad growing up in 1948 and going through the tough time of really wanting to kiss a girl in his class. His thoughts are narrated by the brilliant John Arlott in the form of a cricket commentary. Well worth searching out and watching.
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
Deleted User 728

cheffy007 wrote:I remember a great film called P'tang Yang Kipperbang, all about a young lad growing up in 1948 and going through the tough time of really wanting to kiss a girl in his class. His thoughts are narrated by the brilliant John Arlott in the form of a cricket commentary. Well worth searching out and watching.
Great film.