British Films

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

Re: British Films

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Yeah, love 'em - black and white rules :D

I'm currently watching loads of old Bogie movies and yesterday I saw The Lemon Drop Kid, a cheesy old Bob Hope flick.
They're so dated but so charming at the same time. It wasn't a musical, but twice he started a duet with the leading lady apropos of nothing .. really weird. But not as weird - or as insulting - as him rubbing the head of a passing Chinese kid in the street and making "ching chong" sounds while doing it :wtf: :crazy: :o

Like I said : dated :shh:
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

Off the top of my head;
1. Kes
2.Life of Brian
3. Trainspotting
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

White Knight wrote: 3. Trainspotting
I'd say that was one of my least favourite movies, sorry ;)
Winner of the Europa League
cheffy007

Post by cheffy007 »

Love all of the previous posted films but my personal faves in no particular order
Quadrophonia
Shaun of the dead
Scum
Snatch
The angels share
Last orders
Sexy beast
East is east
Hot fuzz
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Great thread!

I loved the Ealing comedies, ( anything with Peter Sellers or Alastair Sim) most of the Carry Ons, and Whiskey Galore, also:
The Importance of Being Ernest ( B&W version)
A Matter of Life and Death
The Third Man
Rita, Sue and Bob too
Four Weddings and a Funeral
The Railway Children
Local Hero
Waking Ned
Secrets and Lies
Life is Sweet
Life of Brian

I found this link - https://www.timeout.com/london/film/100 ... tish-films

Found a few on here that I have never seen and would like to see. I might make a 'bucket list' of them!

(It also mentions Abigail's Party in a list on here, but it says 1997 - never heard of that- but the TV play is one of my all time favourites - love Mike Leigh stuff.)
Last edited by Deleted User 2747 on 21 Mar 2017, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
White Knight

Post by White Knight »

Frankie wrote:Great thread!

I loved the Ealing comedies, ( anything with Peter Sellers or Alastair Sim) most of the Carry Ons, and Whiskey Galore, also:
The Importance of Being Ernest ( B&W version)
A Matter of Life and Death
The Third Man
Rita, Sue and Bob too
Four Weddings and a Funeral
The Railway Children
Local Hero
Secrets and Lies
Life is Sweet
Life of Brian

I found this link - https://www.timeout.com/london/film/100 ... tish-films

Found a few on here that I have never seen and would like to see. I might make a 'bucket list' of them!

(It also mentions Abigail's Party in a list on here, but it says 1997 - never heard of that- but the TV play is one of my all time favourites - love Mike Leigh stuff.)
Great list and great link Frankie.

I forgot about Secrets and Lies. That's a great film. From the link, I would also add Oliver to my list. Who doesn't know the songs from Oliver.
White Knight

Post by White Knight »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
White Knight wrote: 3. Trainspotting
I'd say that was one of my least favourite movies, sorry ;)
No need to apologise NW, that's the beauty of these lists, full of different opinions.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

One of my favourite movies of recent times was Waking Ned, thought it was a brilliant storyline. Like others have said Ealing studios did some very good stuff St Trinians especially George Cole was a particular favourite.

Zulu
The Hill
4 Weddings
Kes
Billy Elliott
The Full Monty
The Bridge Over the River Kwai

All get honourable mentions.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I remember when I was about 10 or 11 years old. I was mad on war films and someone told me there was a war film on at the local cinema. I pestered my Mother until she relented and let me go to the 'first house', which was early evening. You weren't allowed in the cinema unless accompanied by an adult, so I stood about 50 yards from the cinema (The Regal, Broadway, Liverpool) and asked people 'can you take one in please'. Eventually, I got in and was most disappointed. Indirectly, it was a war film in that it took place during the war but there was no fighting and a lot of talking. The film is now a classic but at the time, I was bored out of my brain. The film: Casablanca. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

ChilwellWhite wrote:One of my favourite movies of recent times was Waking Ned, thought it was a brilliant storyline. Like others have said Ealing studios did some very good stuff St Trinians especially George Cole was a particular favourite.

Zulu
The Hill
4 Weddings
Kes
Billy Elliott
The Full Monty
The Bridge Over the River Kwai

All get honourable mentions.

Thanks! I could not remember the name of that film 'Waking Ned' to add to my list - it was a gem!