Windows update - lost emails -help!

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Windows update - lost emails -help!

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Frankie wrote:Thanks to you all for all of the advice and help.

I sent a 'feedback' message to Microsoft yesterday and it came up that they were aware of missing emails. WHether or not they will be sending help I will not be holding my breath.

I do file my emails into different categories. Some were personal (Not love letters!) Some were related to account registrations on the internet. Some were related to my teaching training and qualification.

It was a Windows 10 update.

I tried to restore to before the update but it failed for some reason. (Twice)

All of my files were emptied including the sent files. Only the in-box and deleted files were still there!

I am going to try searching files, though I started this yesterday with no luck so far.

Thanks again. :thumbup:
I hope it all gets resolved, it sounds infuriating. I'm not 100% sure but I would expect there are forums based around all Windows 10 issues, posted by W10 users and Microsoft employees etc etc, and I very much doubt yours is a unique problem. Keep asking and someone will help out.

I have W10 but use BT Yahoo for my emails, is it a daft question to ask who you use?
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

This is why I don't like Outlook and have only used it in a few jobs where I've had a company email, like at the universities I worked for.

Having said that, I'd be wary of keeping any sensitive online account info anywhere that it could be hacked.
It might be time to buy yourself a small HD and save some of this stuff away from the web and the actual PC that you use.
Maplins are about the cheapest place to buy them - online or instore - and I use Western Digital and LaCie as I've found them to be the most reliable. I've had a Seagate fail on me and I know a few other people with the same problem so don't buy one of theirs if you can help it.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

rigger wrote:This is why I don't like Outlook and have only used it in a few jobs where I've had a company email, like at the universities I worked for.

Having said that, I'd be wary of keeping any sensitive online account info anywhere that it could be hacked.
It might be time to buy yourself a small HD and save some of this stuff away from the web and the actual PC that you use.
Maplins are about the cheapest place to buy them - online or instore - and I use Western Digital and LaCie as I've found them to be the most reliable. I've had a Seagate fail on me and I know a few other people with the same problem so don't buy one of theirs if you can help it.
I never liked Outlook, it was always clunky and not very appealing on the eye. BT Yahoo does all I need it to do with archiving and filing and its Search is very good for finding old emails from years back.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Ive only just managed to restore my emails have had a hell of a problem with them. Something to do with Microsoft & Hotmail merging & passwords. Anyway more good luck than skill I've sorted it.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Glad to hear it, matey !
Sounds like a close shave though - time to get organised :)
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Ive only just managed to restore my emails have had a hell of a problem with them. Something to do with Microsoft & Hotmail merging & passwords. Anyway more good luck than skill I've sorted it.
Do you have any tips about how to do this?
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

rigger wrote:This is why I don't like Outlook and have only used it in a few jobs where I've had a company email, like at the universities I worked for.

I have been thinking about changing to my Yahoo email account, but they had issues not so long ago didn't they?

I guess I should wise up a bit and realise that I could be hacked. I have a Iomega hard drive and a passport, so I've no excuse really. I just assumed (wrongly) that they would be safe where they were!
Deleted User 728

Frankie wrote:
rigger wrote: I have been thinking about changing to my Yahoo email account, but they had issues not so long ago didn't they?
I've had the same Yahoo email address for twenty years and never had a moment's grief with the company or their service.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Frankie wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:Ive only just managed to restore my emails have had a hell of a problem with them. Something to do with Microsoft & Hotmail merging & passwords. Anyway more good luck than skill I've sorted it.
Do you have any tips about how to do this?
It's making sure your passwords are the same.
Winner of the Europa League