Records

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Emley White
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Records

Post by Emley White »

It may not be the ideal place to mention it but I'm currently selling or trying to sell my lifetimes record collection. I say trying because I'm getting increasingly frustrated with timewasters who say they're interested and just never turn up or say they're gonna ring and don't do. Is it me or has society in general just not got any common courtesy anymore. I don't do ebay but have been advertising on gumtree but I'd be interested if anyone else has any good ideas or who may know people who are collectors as I'm loathe to sell to dealers or record shops as they're only interested in profit for themselves.
My collection is mainly singles - there are about 20000 of the hit variety and quite a few thousand obscure items. I have sold most of my albums but there are a few hundred left.
There are also around 7000 CD's currently cluttering up my garage and I'm letting them go for next to nothing.
If anyone is genuinely interested or knows someone who is just get in touch and come and have a browse, a chat and cuppa. I am at home most daytimes. Thanks for reading everyone.
Deleted User 728

Re: Records

Post by Deleted User 728 »

First thing to do is get busy on Discogs.

I too have lots of vinyl for sale and it's the only place to list it because it's like a permanent online record shop.
The system is simple - both media and sleeves are graded from "Very Poor" to "Mint" like you'd see in a real, physical store so you know what you're getting. There's a feedback system too, so if something isn't as described, you can message the buyer/seller and sort things out before telling the world about your transaction.
A couple of times I've listed things as "near mint" because I know I'm the person who bought the LP new and haven't played it in thirty years and it looks immaculate, only to find there's a few pops and crackles on it when the buyer sits down and listens to it at home.
So you offer a bit of a discount you're both happy with, give positive feedback and move on.
It's all very civilised and much more polite than eBay's policy of screwing the seller to get more people buying.
I know someone who went bankrupt because of it ..

You'll find that the vast majority of discs are already listed so it's often less than a minute to add one to your shop.
When I started doing it, I had a big pile of records and just ploughed through them over a week or so till I got it done.
They also have an app where you can scan the barcode of the record/CD to make it even quicker than that.
It's also handy to catalogue your own record collection, by the way ..

Other than that, record fairs could be worth a punt in your case, EW, given how much stock you've got - if they won't come to you, fill the car, rent a table and go to them.

One more place is a hifi forum I frequent called artofsound : http://theartofsound.net/forum/forum.php
It's a really cool message-board full of music lovers and you can sell stuff on there.
Join up, join in and introduce yourself first though - it's a bit rude to barge in shouting you've got loads of things to sell.
The site is a bit like this one in that it has a strict ethos and etiquette is a top priority.
I've had some fantastic experiences dealing with people on there - it really is a wonderful example of how good the internet can be.
You get what's called "box swappers" in hifi who constantly tinker with their system in search of audio nirvana, removing an amp one week, trying new speakers the next, etc so there's a high turnover of kit. The site "rule" is that you don't screw other members so while you may list, say, a high-end CD player on eBay for £250, on the AOS forum you might offer it for £175 because that's what you paid for it either privately or from another member. Everyone knows about eBay's fees and hates the site anyway, so it's a really cool place for perennial hobbyists.
There's often someone who'll pop up and announce they're selling their collection - you list it by artist, title, format, condition and the price you want and then people will PM you accordingly ..

Obviously make sure you tell everyone where you are first !
When you sign up you can add a line to your profile so people can see in every post you make :)

Good luck !
If I come up any time soon, I'll swing by myself ..
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

I'll be happy to help and I think I probably can. anyway I've PM'd you mate, I hope this isn't a troubled time for you, getting rid of so many items.
Emley White
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by Emley White »

Many thanks guys, this really is a great site for anything and everything as well as coming together to support the team we all love. Cheers.
I will read your PM ANS and get back to you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Emley White wrote:Many thanks guys, this really is a great site for anything and everything as well as coming together to support the team we all love. Cheers.
Thanks bud, hope I can help.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Emley White wrote:Many thanks guys, this really is a great site for anything and everything as well as coming together to support the team we all love. Cheers.
Just butting in to say I agree with EW 100%. In addition to being one of the best football websites on the internet, it is invaluable as a 'club' to find new friends and most important, to offer a helping hand when required. :thumbup:
I once played against Don Revie.